Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arms

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭Nollog

Star Lord wrote: »
    Thought they'd said there'd be more characters etc...?

Mhm. Looking like a cancelled preorder on my side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

From the screens shown in the Direct, some sleuthing from people online have spotted 2 unannounced characters. 1 looks like a girl and the other a robot. Already liked the look of this and what was shown increased that for sure, with a good bit more info to come it sounds like too.

Lxsc7kC.png

Edit: Possibly another 2 unannounced characters.

9e08f04670d248e3898009de001fbda5.png

Cover of the new Edge

C-RDu2ZWsAInPsu.jpg:small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Corholio wrote: »
    Cover of the new Edge

C-RDu2ZWsAInPsu.jpg:small

Having played it few months ago, its probably still the one of 9 games I tried that was most memorable. The mechanics are actually a lot of fun and its faced paced.
    I was actually out of breathe and laughing my ass off at end of a few rounds.

Ya I no people begrudge the Wii Motion controls, but they were great for the masses and lead to some fun gamers, especially multiplayer ones.

I think ARMs might be the nearest thing to a Wii Sports and it could be great game to play with others and get some casuals to buy and as motion controls isnt the Switches selling point it wont be all motion controls for sake of it. More consoles sold to casuals the better for all us core gamers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Here's the alternate cover for subscribers.
    C-asVAqXoAAsn1-.jpg:small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is looking less like a 3rd person boxing game and more and more like an arena based combat game where the projectiles are tethered to the player, creating interesting possibilities.
    As a boxing game I'd be disinterested but as an innovative combat title, I think I'll be picking it up.

In fact, it has a bit of a Powerstone vibe to it, to be honest.
    The first one, not the godsawful sequel, and not that PSP one either, crappy screen stretching, Dreamcast all the way baby!

Well that Direct was chocful of information on Arms. I was already looking forward to it but that sealed it above and beyond.

Main points:

- 3 new fighters announced (Kid Cobra, Twintelle, Byte and Barq)
    - Various multiplayer modes (Battle, Hoops, Volleyball, Targets, 1 v 100)
    - 7 types of abilities (Fire, Electric, Wind, Ice, Stun, Explosion and Blind)
    - 'Arm Getter' mode to purchase new Arms using in game currency earned.
    - Grand Prix mode - Fight against 10 fighters including mystery final boss briefly shown.
    - Up to 20 players in a Party Match. Also 1 on 1 ranked match.
    - Arms Global Testpunch takes place on dates between May 26th and June 4th.
    - Additional Fighters, Stages and Arms will be released as FREE updates in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, looks lovely.
    A definite purchase and, hopefully, a boot in the nethers for those who persist in the notion that Nintendo don't produce new IP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Warming up to it now - sounds like a complete package. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think I'm just one of those people that doesn't "get" fighting games in general, so I doubt I'll buy this. Like I play them but tend to get bored after a while unless playing local multiplayer.

But it does seem to have a lot to it and hopefully it does well for them

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think I'm just one of those people that doesn't "get" fighting games in general, so I doubt I'll buy this. Like I play them but tend to get bored after a while unless playing local multiplayer.

But it does seem to have a lot to it and hopefully it does well for them

Play Powerstone on the Dreamcast, or PSP if you must, it is just great fun.

Also, try something with a narrative, like The Last Blade, beautiful game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Bit more on the testpunches:

May 26 5:00 p.m. PT - NA Only
    May 27 5:00 a.m. PT 11:00 a.m. PT 5:00 p.m. PT
    May 28 5:00 a.m. PT 11:00 a.m. PT
    June 2 5:00 p.m. PT - NA Only
    June 3 5:00 a.m. PT 11:00 a.m. PT 5:00 p.m. PT
    June 4 5:00 a.m. PT 11:00 a.m. PT

1 hour sessions :rolleyes:

Digital Foundry, in their tests, have established it's 1080p 60fps in single player mode locked with zero drops in 1 1/2 hours testing.

Also 900p 60fps in 2 player split screen mode, again locked with zero drops. Pretty impressive from the MK team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

apparently the client for Test Punch is up, 1.4GB.
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/switch-arms-global-testpunch-demo-2694022
    their link is to the US site,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The full game is a modest 2.2GB.

http://nintendoeverything.com/arms-file-size/

The TestPunch download was up right after the Direct few days ago. When you download it leave it on the first page without pressing Land R and it'll show some demo play from different modes in the game, including how split screen looks, and also a 1v1v1v1 battle.

I don't like the controls at all.

It's hard to move around. The one thing I didn't expect was bad controls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This is really easy or I'm just a bad ass at Arms... :P

Won 11 games on the trot there and didn't lose one, was in a heap sweating and the like so it just really highlighted to myself how unfit I actually am.... :/

Not sure if I would buy it at full whack but I would consider it around 20 quid I suppose, I'd say it be good craic with a few drinks and multiplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I'll gladly pay full price for it so far. There's loads of content in the full release and after two hours now the motion controls are great and responsive and I'm seeing more tactics come into play too.

I've gotten my arse handed to me a couple of times too though as well as stomped a few clueless people.

Had some really tense games games where no one was ko'd but that last punch left you with just enough health to win. Really enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement

Did people get try out the different control methods?
    How did they compare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Can you change the controls? If so, how?

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Can you change the controls? If so, how?

It just knows. If you want to use motion move around while detached. If you want to use buttons put them in a grip

The button controls were absolutely awful when I tried them. Especially in vball. My punches seemed to go too low.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It just knows. If you want to use motion move around while detached. If you want to use buttons put them in a grip

The button controls were absolutely awful when I tried them. Especially in vball. My punches seemed to go too low.

Thanks, but I actually meant reassigning the buttons when using the pro controller. Seems crazy that left and right punch are not assigned the the triggers!

I didn't get a chance to try motion control, but I enjoyed the 20 mins I got to play earlier. Don't think I won a single fight though...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Thanks, but I actually meant reassigning the buttons when using the pro controller. Seems crazy that left and right punch are not assigned the the triggers!..

I'm pretty sure the my young fella was punching with the triggers in handheld mode earlier. Seems odd it wouldnt be the same for the pro controller. I could be wrong though.

I got in just the end of a session earlier and was using the A and B buttons for each arm. Seemed counter intuitive to me, but still was pleasantly surprised by the game itself. I really enjoyed it! Would like another go at the next testpunch, but so far Im thinking i might give this a go!

I got in just the end of a session earlier and was using the A and B buttons for each arm. Seemed counter intuitive to me, but still was pleasantly surprised by the game itself. I really enjoyed it! Would like another go at the next testpunch, but so far Im thinking i might give this a go!

They're also the triggers. I'm not sure which ones (z or not) but I remember a and b being bad too so tried the triggers and it worked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,665 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It took me a little while to warm to it, but at the end of the hour I was hooked. Short, fast and fair - what I like from a multiplayer game. The Nintendo polish radiates from the thing.

Couldn't warm to the motion controls based on a few minutes of play, and sadly after the tutorial there was no training arena outside the lobby menu so nowhere to just practice with them for a bit. Pulled out the grip instead and was flying around by the end. Obviously there'll be single player modes to do a bit more testing in the full version, but could easily see myself happily sticking with the more traditional control scheme like I did with Splatoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I quite liked the motion controls, plus I burned up a bit of a sweat for the 20 mins of play time I got in. My watch is telling me I used 100 calories, so for a lazy unfit person like me, it may actually help me a bit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just played an hour with the kids. Lots of disco early on but picked up towards the end. Motion controls much more fun than pro controller. Couldn't find block or frenzy on pro and took ages to find the target switch on motion so lost a lot of fights. My 3 year old won her bout. I'm terrible at the game but was pretty good at coaching :) I like how you can play 2p online but it looks Ked one or other of us out more times than we played together. That feature alone would get this more play than Splatoon in my house.

Advertisement