Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arms

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Played a it of the 1pm slot. Managed to win a few matches (1 volleyball, 1 1v1 and 1 1v1v1v1). Used the pro controller, since I started in portable mode and didn't know the controls then for the motion controls. I enjoyed it but will try again at 7.

The victories were with Mechanica with Revolver and Homie arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Motion controls once you practise with them are very intuitive and a lot of fun. At the start it feels like the 'pat your head while rubbing your stomach thing' but they start to click after a while, and that was only less than hour too. They are some of the most precise motion controls I've used, waggle will certainly get you nowhere in this game, which is great. The normal controls seem fine too though for switching between. Day 1 buy for me certainly.

Ninjara looks my go to fighter but Ribbon Girl air attacks are quite nifty. Helix seems, in early stages, the most learning in a fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

tumblr_mwvn96pbgD1qflml0o1_250.gif

Granted I only gave it a quick go but it doesn't seem like it has much depth.

One thing I couldn't figure out for motion controls was how to move. I made my way around by dashing. So went back to the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

CastorTroy wrote: »
    One thing I couldn't figure out for motion controls was how to move. I made my way around by dashing. So went back to the Pro.

Tilt both joycon in the direction you want to move. That's what the tutorial showed me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Nollog

Corholio wrote: »
    Motion controls once you practise with them are very intuitive

Heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Managed to get in for around 20 minutes of the 7-8pm session yesterday. I was atrociously bad at it, but I still found it pretty enjoyable! The 2v2 or 1v1v1 sessions were pretty manic, and hard to figure out what was going where and what was landing, seemed most weren't (hitting off other thrown punches, probably)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I didn't get a chance to try this over the weekend. Seems to be a mixed consensus from what I can see.

I remember the original Splatoon tests - after 2 minutes it just clicked and I saw the appeal - it was a day 1 buy for me when it came out.

I get the impression that Arms is a bit more polarising?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Heh

??

I think if could've got into train more with the different controls, it would've been better. We could do that with the original test fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I think if could've got into train more with the different controls, it would've been better. We could do that with the original test fire.

I dunno, in the training mode I was a damage dealing death machine. As soon as the targets could hit back I was cowering behind pillars and Throckcidenting all over the shop.

(When you accidentally try a throw because you blocked too hard)

What I needed was weaker opposition!

chrislad wrote: »
    tumblr_mwvn96pbgD1qflml0o1_250.gif

Granted I only gave it a quick go but it doesn't seem like it has much depth.

Surprised you don't think it's got much depth, it seems to have loads imo. Countering /dodging attacks alone is already like algebra when you read about them on other forums. The testpunch really showed how important choosing the arms is, even against 'weak' characters they can pick you off if you have imbalanced arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Arms previews up today. Menu video and General preview from Gamexplain.

Interesting to see in the 'Menu's' video they have had to spoiler one of the options as they said they weren't allowed talk about it yet.

Review embargo ends June 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Anyone else use the proxy trick to play the warmup offline? I didn't have much chance to play last weekend so it gave me a chance to play around with the controls and characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just saw this on my Facebook feed. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... which came first? :)

Arms' Creators On Twintelle's Popularity And The Strange Lore Of The Game's World

...Twintelle has really taken off. What do you think of the fan community latching onto her?

Yabuki: We weren’t really expecting the fans to be so taken with her, so that was a very pleasant surprise! And like I just mentioned, she has that really strong build to her and that seems to be something that the community has picked up on so I’m glad that we were able to create this new character design....

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/06/02/-arms-creators-on-twintelles-popularity-and-the-strange-lore-of-the-games-world-luffy-one-piece.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Strong build? Translation. You mean her butt.

• Advertisement

Anyone else playing the Testpunch? That 'secret' character pops up in some matches, don't want to spoil anything, only to say........

mog1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I'm very surprised by how much I like this! Strongly considering a purchase! What Splatoon was for online shooters, Arms is for boxing games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

That was really good fun. I'm wrecked after that! I'm also considering picking it up but with my level of fitness I might need to move to a pro controller if I don't want to have a coronary!

Used both motion controls and pro controller last night and today and it's hard to choose between them, had lot of fun with both of them. I think you get more involved using the motion controls and as Sarn said, tests the fitness a lot more :P

Helix's stage get's a bit crowded and mad with 3 or more, that's one of few slight negatives I could say about it so far, although maybe that might be the point of it. Twintelle's Parasol is a hell of a weapon, offensively and defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Broken record time, but this game would really benefit from some type of communication option, even something like Rocket League's dpad prewritten thingy. Would be all the more satisfying to taunt a competitor in those really close bouts!

How are special moves performed, like Twintelle's freeze?

How are special moves performed, like Twintelle's freeze?

When the rush meter is full, press either ZL or ZR for the flurry.

Ah didn't realise that's what it was.
    Haven't got to play it today. Will play the 7pm one.

Wonder what kind of reaction the testpunches are getting in Japan

I really don;t like the guys who just spam throws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I really don;t like the guys who just spam throws

Learn to punch their throws out of the air and you might come to love them :)
    Finally got the hang of dodging to avoid throws, actually started winning games or at least giving them a run for their money. Everyone's picking Twintelle, Arms got more booty than Francis Drake's baby shower. Boss is mental.

Advertisement