Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arms

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

I like the way the difficulty can be set on the Grand Prix. Gives a good chance at practicing while getting coins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

So is it worth it?

I remember being uninterested in it from original trailers, but just watched some newer ones there in switch store and it doesn't look as bad... But it's a bit much price wise to buy it and find its a regret purchase.

That's why I bought a physical copy rather than digital, just in case the novelty wears off quickly. Enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I think it's €47 for a digital code on amazon.jp so I might buy it from there, change my nintendo account region, redeem the code and then change my region back. At least that's how I think it works anyway.

I don't really want to buy any physical games for it to be honest, the convenience of changing games so quickly when I'm out and about is great. I know changing carts doesn't take that long but still saves me some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Wow, I am really terrible at Arms online!!! I did alright in the Testpunch, but haven't won a bout since buying the full game. Need some more practice!

• Advertisement

I think it's €47 for a digital code on amazon.jp so I might buy it from there, change my nintendo account region, redeem the code and then change my region back. At least that's how I think it works anyway.

Don't change your region or it will wipe whatever credit you have! Better to setup a new account specifically for a region. The games are playable on any account on that Switch after that.

Sarn wrote: »
    Don't change your region or it will wipe whatever credit you have! Better to setup a new account specifically for a region. The games are playable on any account on that Switch after that.

I don't have any credit on the eshop, I always pay the exact amount and I'd prefer to keep my games on the same account.

I have an account for EU, USA and Japan for different demos and such but use my main account for buying games.

I didn't think other regions accepted Irish credit/debit cards. At least that's the problem I've had, which is why I've used Nintendo cards for each region. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

I'm buying the game code off amazon japan and redeeming the code itself on the e-shop. Amazon Japan accepts any card as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sure the JP version has an English option?

• Advertisement

Ah, I didn't read your post correctly. Good idea, game code rather than the eshop.

Yeah, the game supports English. Same languages as Mario Kart 8 and Zelda, I think all Nintendo's games so far come with 7 or 8 languages in the files.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm really on the fence. Is it's good game? Yes. Is it a deep game? Absolutely. Do I want to spend all the time getting good at it. After being a pretty serious SFIV player for about half of my 30's, perhaps not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

im on the fence too, but about buying it, i played the test punch, and wasnt blown away, but ive been watching streams of people play it on twitch and it looks fun, i hope they do another test punch so i can give it another go, but dont feel like paying 60 / 65 for a game i might not like :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

im on the fence too, but about buying it, i played the test punch, and wasnt blown away, but ive been watching streams of people play it on twitch and it looks fun, i hope they do another test punch so i can give it another go, but dont feel like paying 60 / 65 for a game i might not like :/

I'm in the same boat. Gonna wait for a price drop on this one. I know that might be awhile but there's a few other games coming out soon I'm more interested in than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Gave it a couple hours, but it's not happening for me I'm afraid.
    If there is a deeper game mechanic underneath then it's doing a great job of hiding itself.

Far too random, control is suspect (motion....didn't try with a pad), generally annoying atmosphere to the game overall. Not in the same league as the likes of Mario Kart for 'pick up and have fun'. Maybe there's some fun to be had with local multiplayer, but might be best with two Switches rather than trying to squeeze fun out of splitscreen.

Some might go for it and be willing to dedicate​ more time to it (think this is the key), but I was very much on the fence with it beforehand after being very unimpressed with what I'd seen up to now, and only a couple hours had pushed right off that fence. Not a purchase for me in any case, for which I am thankful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Traded in. I wanted it to hook me in (no pun intended) but not feeling it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow or Monday, no opportunity yesterday or today :(
    I'm working though so not guaranteed to make it in to Swords... Bugger!
    Might watch out for one of these traded copies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Cex selling it for €65. Not much money to be saved buying it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've played for 2 hours. Finished the campaign and played some online multiplayer. Had a great time so I'll be holding onto it.

I'll have to get another joycon set or pro controller to make the most out of it though (local multiplayer)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i'm still waiting for gamestop to get it in stock :(
    i always thought they got games a few days before release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's amazing to see some people are so good at this already, was doing pretty good and got hammered by a Twintelle online. A master of dodging and curving punches. I'm loving the challenge of playing and continually getting better at it, becomes more and more apparent your choice of arms can be a big difference depending on the opponent, and also remembering the different ways of blocking i.e. medium weight arm v light weight arm etc. Have lost hours to this already, and especially with the motion controls it pulls you right into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

ARMS reached number 2 in the "Individual" and "All Formats" UK charts. It's a very quiet time of year, there's just 2 new entries in the top 20. Still, number 2 isn't bad but I'd like to know its sales numbers. Horizon: Zero Dawn denied it top spot as it did to Zelda: BOTW back in March.

Between 15-20k seems to be peoples estimates. Not a bad debut considering the type of game it is and it also lacks any meaty single player content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Apparently Horizon is now discounted, probably as part of the Days of Play promotion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm in work, so the family are on a mission to buy Arms today for me.
    Looking forward to getting home now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Not a major bargain/adjustment but Argos Price is now 56.99, Smyths dropped it to 54.99, which makes it a little more palatable than 60-65 quid.

Still waiting on mine, and I can't help but feel that the initial buzz will be over when it arrives and the online community will be solidly dedicated players who can kick my arse. Damn you, Super Saver Delivery!

Edit : Have we heard from Ciderman today? I'm worried, an old dude like him, all the sudden exertion that Arms requires... should we get a neighbour to check that the milk bottles aren't piling up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Banjo wrote: »
    Not a major bargain/adjustment but Argos Price is now 56.99, Smyths dropped it to 54.99, which makes it a little more palatable than 60-65 quid.

Still waiting on mine, and I can't help but feel that the initial buzz will be over when it arrives and the online community will be solidly dedicated players who can kick my arse. Damn you, Super Saver Delivery!

i'm still waiting to collect mine from gamestop

i note that the website has now got them in stock so i would assume stores should get them also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

Banjo wrote: »

Don't worry ,i picked it up saturday and it seemed like it was at that level already:pac: ,

Very enjoyable game so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've found I'm still enjoying it, even when I'm getting beaten like an old rug. The few victories and close matches really felt like I'd earned them!

There's also something very satisfying about slamming your opponent into the basketball hoop...

Advertisement