Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee Class May 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

Do you mind me asking what campaign you are from?
    I applied in December 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 redgreendragon

Very hard to know who will make next intake or not. I applied Nov 2015 and passed all stages by the end of January 2017. I rang them about vetting and was told my file was complete but the girl said there was a good few in front of me and she didn't know if I would be in may intake. My oom is in the 1000s

Just a bit of advice please. If I was to offered may but I wanted to defer til August is that possible? The reason I ask is that I am in second year of a 3 year degree and while I am willing not to complete 3rd year I think at this stage I should sit second year exams after working at it all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Very hard to know who will make next intake or not. I applied Nov 2015 and passed all stages by the end of January 2017. I rang them about vetting and was told my file was complete but the girl said there was a good few in front of me and she didn't know if I would be in may intake. My oom is in the 1000s

Just a bit of advice please. If I was to offered may but I wanted to defer til August is that possible? The reason I ask is that I am in second year of a 3 year degree and while I am willing not to complete 3rd year I think at this stage I should sit second year exams after working at it all year.

Yep you can defer for educational reason afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

Does everyone here have their vetting complete??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭blueforce89

HRM aren't the most helpful when you ring them sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kfitzerp

DooraGirl wrote: »
    Does everyone here have their vetting complete??

Still waiting on vetting myself, applied to this recruitment Jan 2016 and placed well below 1000 mark. Not expecting to get May to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mabf

I seem to have been lucky with the speed of each process also. Applied in Sept 2016 and scored in 300's after stage 1, scored in 200's after stage 2 and then after my interview in December was in the top 10. Had my medical mid January, met the local guards today and have physical on Tuesday.
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

mabf wrote: »
    I seem to have been lucky with the speed of each process also. Applied in Sept 2016 and scored in 300's after stage 1, scored in 200's after stage 2 and then after my interview in December was in the top 10. Had my medical mid January, met the local guards today and have physical on Tuesday.
    M

It just utter madness. I am waiting since 2015 had my medical start of Jan and haven't got a date for physical let alone done it or met anyone.

Not your fault but my word, this seems to be getting really messy. Is there any logic left at all after interview!

When did you meet the Superintendent?

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    It just utter madness. I am waiting since 2015 had my medical start of Jan and haven't got a date for physical let alone done it or met anyone.

Not your fault but my word, this seems to be getting really messy. Is there any logic left at all after interview!

I think an awful lot of it has to do with how busy your local district is and how soon you get called to meet your sergeant and super. People in Dublin waiting months where as I'm in Munster and met them both pretty soon after interview. Once I'd that completed, the rest rolled around pretty quick. That's just my two cents anyway!!

ganthy wrote: »
    When did you meet the Superintendent?

Can't remember exactly but think it was November sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sparky_7

Wonder will all this stuff about the whistle blowers a possible election and asking for the commissioner to step down have an effect on the  Recruitment drive!

Sparky_7 wrote: »
    Wonder will all this stuff about the whistle blowers a possible election and asking for the commissioner to step down have an effect on the  Recruitment drive!

Would be concerned about the above myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Just trying to work out time-frames here and realise that I've next to zero chance of getting into the May intake.

Just curious if anyone in the sligo area has met the sergeant/super and if so were you waiting long to be called?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Paulcunn862

I am just perplexed with how people in the September 2016 campaign have meet their local Seargant and Superintendent when people from January 2016 and the 2015 campaign have not done that. I have read that it might be to do with how busy your local station is, but I don't think that is true as people in my area applied in September 2016 and meet the super this week, whereas I haven't heard a thing from local station and from Jan 2016 campaign.

• Advertisement

I am just perplexed with how people in the September 2016 campaign have meet their local Seargant and Superintendent when people from January 2016 and the 2015 campaign have not done that. I have read that it might be to do with how busy your local station is, but I don't think that is true as people in my area applied in September 2016 and meet the super this week, whereas I haven't heard a thing from local station and from Jan 2016 campaign.

Did you ring hrm ? If so what did they say?

Im from 2015 and still haven't met the super,rang last week and she told me my form only came in last week(I met the sergeant in decem)..also the sergeant was doing a lot of my references cause 3 of them told me they had been contacted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

I think our batch was just condemned from the beginning haha, Nothing but bad luck

@ Canyon86

You need to delete messages. Can't reply to your message until you do!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EHbally

I'm from December 2015 and I just passed my physical last Saturday and I have everything else done , surely to god I will get a place in may ?? 😂 What do ye think ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Depotdoc

EHbally wrote: »
    I'm from December 2015 and I just passed my physical last Saturday and I have everything else done , surely to god I will get a place in may ?? 😂 What do ye think ?

God only knows

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WARRIOR08

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Just trying to work out time-frames here and realise that I've next to zero chance of getting into the May intake.

Just curious if anyone in the sligo area has met the sergeant/super and if so were you waiting long to be called?

Not long waited about 2-3 weeks after interview, met the inspector as the supt was on leave. But still waiting and might not get may so no mad rush.

WARRIOR08 wrote: »
    Not long waited about 2-3 weeks after interview, met the inspector as the supt was on leave. But still waiting and might not get may so no mad rush.

Was this in Sligo or elsewhere?
    Also how are you contacted for the sergeant/super meetings?

Anyone do them before the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clairelouise95

I've met my sergeant already and I've my medical in two weeks! They ring you. I'm in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WARRIOR08

Yeah Sligo, and they just rang me. But I know others that waited over 2 months ! You're not forgotten the pace moves differently for everyone. You seem to be anxious about this I wouldn't be don't worry they will call.

When you get an email saying "your application has been sent to the Commissioner for consideration", does that mean your vetting is complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

When you get an email saying "your application has been sent to the Commissioner for consideration", does that mean your vetting is complete?

Don't know for sure but I would think yes

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

Yeah I think that means it's complete. Did you email HRM regarding your vetting and got that reply?

Iv passed medical and met with the Sergeant and Inspector, am i correct in saying that if I pass the physical I have all stages complete?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

Iv passed medical and met with the Sergeant and Inspector, am i correct in saying that if I pass the physical I have all stages complete?

M

Yes but there is still the matter of your vetting to be completed

• Advertisement

Never heard of that happening:ermm:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wax100

Also never heard of anybody receiving an email like that.

Wax100 wrote: »
    Also never heard of anybody receiving an email like that.

Oh thank God! Thought I was screwed for May :D

Sorry but I didn't actually get that email but if you look back on these threads some people have once they have everything complete. I'm just wondering if that is an email stating that your vetting is complete and your file is just left to the commissioner to have a look at. If so, then there is no point ringing them to see if the vetting if complete.

Yeah I think once the local station call you in, your vetting is complete. When I met the Inspector and the Sergeant they said that they had completed all necessary checks on me and my family members and were satisfied.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cocopops24

There are a few different vetting departments that check everything not just the locals unfortunately!

Yeah I think once the local station call you in, your vetting is complete. When I met the Inspector and the Sergeant they said that they had completed all necessary checks on me and my family members and were satisfied.

M
    Some of your vetting is complete but the Super told me that most of it starts once he sends his recommendation to HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Howard828

Theres people here from 2015 in the 700s say, and people from 2016 in the 700s, anybody know how this works? Do the 2015 go ahead? How does the merit work? People with 300 vs 700 are ahead by 400places?

Howard828 wrote: »
    Theres people here from 2015 in the 700s say, and people from 2016 in the 700s, anybody know how this works?  Do the 2015 go ahead?  How does the merit work?  People with 300 vs 700 are ahead by 400places?
    The people in 2015 would be 1000 places ahead of you,give or take medical/physical fails and pulling out of the recruitment,im in 2015 myself so would be ahead of all the 2016 campaign for selection.

• Advertisement

I suppose there is no definite answer to how the offers are made. I spoke to a guard and they told me that the way it's done is that they take a few from each campaign i.e they might take the next 100 people on the panel from the 2015 campaign, the next 50 from the Jan 2016 campaign and the first 50 from the December 2016 campaign to get as he described 'the constant cream of the crop'.

M

No it's definitely done on oom - so the first 200 people with full files will be offered. No one from the latest competition will be offered if there are enough people from 2013/January 2016

I don't mean to shed negativity and it could have changed but a friend of mine had applied to the prison officers and had passed all stages before the embargo came in. When the embargo was lifted he was certain he would be brought through automatically but was informed that the Public Sector panels only stay live for a period of 2 years and that he would have to re-apply. I hope I haven't frightened anybody and I certainly hope that anybody waiting longer than 2 years gets in as you deserve it for your patience but it might just be worth looking into.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Depotdoc

I don't mean to shed negativity and it could have changed but a friend of mine had applied to the prison officers and had passed all stages before the embargo came in. When the embargo was lifted he was certain he would be brought through automatically but was informed that the Public Sector panels only stay live for a period of 2 years and that he would have to re-apply. I hope I haven't frightened anybody and I certainly hope that anybody waiting longer than 2 years gets in as you deserve it for your patience but it might just be worth looking into.

M

Well there's still people from the 2013 drive being recruited, so I don't think that's true.

Depotdoc wrote: »
    Well there's still people from the 2013 drive being recruited, so I don't think that's true.
    An embargo is a completely different story. When the moratorium came into effect, Garda applicants in 2008 were notified that the competition was closed - new regulations were made in 2013 so that's why applicants had to apply again

Makes sense! Ah sure we'll all get there eventually.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DonegalMan0544

Hi I'm just curious, I'm minds 200s from Sept 2016 campaign and have my medical this week. Was hoping to get may all going well but after reading through this thread I see a lot of people waiting since 2013/15 etc. Am I right in saying I will have to wait until everyone from the previous has been offered their places first?

Hi I'm just curious, I'm minds 200s from Sept 2016 campaign and have my medical this week. Was hoping to get may all going well but after reading through this thread I see a lot of people waiting since 2013/15 etc. Am I right in saying I will have to wait until everyone from the previous has been offered their places first?

Yes. The previous campaigns will be offered their place before you.

I have my PCT tomorrow and that will mean I have all stages done. I applied in the Sept 16 campaign and have an OOM of between 1 and 10. Hopefully I'll make the May intake!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AM11

People with the highest OOM with everything completed, including vetting will get offered a place. At the time offers are out if you have everything completed and they don't, you will get offered a place before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

I have my PCT tomorrow and that will mean I have all stages done. I applied in the Sept 16 campaign and have an OOM of between 1 and 10. Hopefully I'll make the May intake!

M

Best of luck tomorrow, my daughter was to do hers tomorrow but had to defer it, I think you got her place so that's a good sign

• Advertisement
Advertisement