Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee Class May 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

They have struggled to fill every intake so far. I will ask one of my TD's to ask the Minister how exactly the vetting works. I was told by HRM that once the Super sends in his recommendation then your vetting is complete, however they said to me today that it is still outstanding and going through the various departments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

ganthy wrote: »
    They have struggled to fill every intake so far. I will ask one of my TD's to ask the Minister how exactly the vetting works. I was told by HRM that once the Super sends in his recommendation then your vetting is complete, however they said to me today that it is still outstanding and going through the various departments.

How do you know that they struggled to fill intakes? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

Canyon86 wrote: »
    How do you know that they struggled to fill intakes? Thanks
    From talking to those down in the college and people with very low OOMs have been called up. And some Sergeants were told by HRM to hurry up the applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Marksy8429

Any body roughly know how many they take each intake just out of curiosity??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Howard828

Marksy8429 wrote: »
    Any body roughly know how many they take each intake just out of curiosity??

800 students this year, 4 in takes, so 200 a phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Marksy8429

Cheers thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 redgreendragon

Well what we think, offers today? Usually made on a Friday but might still be a bit early? What we all think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Well what we think, offers today? Usually made on a Friday but might still be a bit early? What we all think?

Wee bit early yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

Jesus... imagine!! You never know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AM11

I called HR on the 1st and they said offers would be out in a couple of weeks but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kfitzerp

I was told end of next week. Anyway, vetting is back and cleared, rubber stamped and approved, low OOM and 2015/16 campaign. Handing in the notice and I couldn't care less!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mabf

kfitzerp wrote: »
    I was told end of next week. Anyway, vetting is back and cleared, rubber stamped and approved, low OOM and 2015/16 campaign. Handing in the notice and I couldn't care less!

Risky move, hope it works out for you!
    M

Aw I wish I could do that! I wouldn't be confident enough that I'll get an offer. I'm in the top 200 from 2015 but I've been disappointed so many times before that until I get that email I won't be telling anyone or doing anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hb1986

Must be a lot still left from the 15/16 campaign, I'm in the 700's and hoping for an offer, but seems to be still a lot with lower OOM

mabf wrote: »

Risky move, hope it works out for you!
    M
    Ahh it's just Friday talking

• Advertisement

I did book off some holiday days in early April just in case!

Fair play to ya :)

Completely random one.... but any Galway folk here recommend good places to go for a night out tonight?!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

DooraGirl wrote: »
    Fair play to ya :)

Completely random one.... but any Galway folk here recommend good places to go for a night out tonight?!

Galway head here. Depends what scene you're looking for?

Galway head here. Depends what scene you're looking for?

I'm not sure how to answer that hahaha!

Fun, not too young of a crowd, good music maybe?!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

I'm not sure how to answer that hahaha!

Fun, not too young of a crowd, good music maybe?!

So many places...

O'Connells have recently done their beer garden. Favourite spot

The old reliables are always an option :

An Pucán, The Bunch of Grapes, The Front Door, The Dáil, The House Hotel.

New Gin bar opening tonight. Tigh Nora's. It's beside The Front Door too.

Have to swing by Neachtains if you're that close.

Too many choices ! :D

• Advertisement

So many places...

O'Connells have recently done their beer garden. Favourite spot

The old reliables are always an option :

An Pucán, The Bunch of Grapes, The Front Door, The Dáil, The House Hotel.

New Gin bar opening tonight. Tigh Nora's. It's beside The Front Door too.

Have to swing by Neachtains if you're that close.

Too many choices ! :D

Cool, thanks a million!!!

A gin bar????!!!! (Love heart emoji x10)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

My money is on the 16th for induction week 1 offers. :) anyone else thinking the same???

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sparky_7

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    My money is on the 16th for induction week 1 offers. :) anyone else thinking the same???

In and around then anyway I'd say!

Yep.. convinced of it! And ive been pretty spot on so far ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭IceWeasel

Bit of an odd question here but what do ye reckon about wearing watches while down in Templemore. Want to get a fitbit but not sure if I could wear it during the day down there. Obviously not for parade or anything but for classes and the evenings do ye think it would be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dantheman31

Is there usually two rounds of offers for induction weeks?

IceWeasel wrote: »
    Bit of an odd question here but what do ye reckon about wearing watches while down in Templemore. Want to get a fitbit but not sure if I could wear it during the day down there. Obviously not for parade or anything but for classes and the evenings do ye think it would be allowed?

Not too sure, better of with a smart watch? Galaxy gear looks like a watch. I think some fit bits have detachable capabilities and can be clipped onto things instead of being a watch strap.

Watches and bracelets seem to be ok down there, from looking at student photos etc. Deffo buy a watch because you'll be needing it for the rest of your career ha. Recording times of arrests and incidences, that sort of stuff :)

Howard828 wrote:
    Not too sure, better of with a smart watch? Galaxy gear looks like a watch. I think some fit bits have detachable capabilities and can be clipped onto things instead of being a watch strap.

I have a Gear already but the battery life is pretty crap tbh. Needs charging daily whereas a fitbit can go 4 or 5 days on one charge. Might have a look at detachable ones thanks

Gnr_Iver wrote:
    Watches and bracelets seem to be ok down there, from looking at student photos etc. Deffo buy a watch because you'll be needing it for the rest of your career ha. Recording times of arrests and incidences, that sort of stuff

Thanks for the reply will have a look at which one to get now. Yeah a watch will be a must probably something heavy duty like a G-Shock would be the best option. One of those should last a while haha.

• Advertisement

Fitbits are the job!!! And their customer service is unreal... part of my wrist band was peeling as I was wearing it in the shower (not supposed to use it in water,oops!) and they just sent me out a new one, no questions :)

DooraGirl wrote:
    Fitbits are the job!!! And their customer service is unreal... part of my wrist band was peeling as I was wearing it in the shower (not supposed to use it in water,oops!) and they just sent me out a new one, no questions

Which model fitbit do you have? There are so many to choose from haha

Which model fitbit do you have? There are so many to choose from haha

Fitbit Charge. It's the slim band one. Absolutely love it!! Resting heart rate now down at athlete level :D

Lads stop, Casio wristwatch in Argos for 13e - survive a nuclear meltdown!

DooraGirl wrote:
    Fitbit Charge. It's the slim band one. Absolutely love it!! Resting heart rate now down at athlete level

Pretty sure that's the one I was looking at. Thanks for all the info hopefully it will help me get to athlete level also haha

Pretty sure that's the one I was looking at. Thanks for all the info hopefully it will help me get to athlete level also haha

That was meant to have a laughing face at the end of it... I'm definitely not an athlete!! I guess it makes you more conscious of activity level and its nice to track distance and workouts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

My daughter rang today and was told she is ranked 201 overall from all remaining applicants and her OOM is now 80 for sept 2016. So there's a lot to be placed yet once vetting cleared etc

Well, it took me awhile to believe her but my vetting has finally been cleared. I'm now to expect an offer for May in the coming weeks.

I genuinely thought she was playing a cruel trick haha, " ah you're messin" I said this can't be right.
    No, no it's definitely cleared, she said.

Be jaysus, that's grand so...:):)

Well, it took me awhile to believe her but my vetting has finally been cleared. I'm now to expect an offer for May in the coming weeks.

I genuinely thought she was playing a cruel trick haha, " ah you're messin" I said this can't be right.

Happy days! Great time to be in the clear, at this stage you should feel even entitled to it, enjoy this month and some of next, for the next 30 years you'll be in employment haha. 40 days so see the world!

• Advertisement

On a side note, theres a Cogito smart watch, normal looking watch, but its a smart watch and has a pedometer, shows notifications of text and phone calls, the battery lasts 1 year, its between 100 and 200. Harvey norman stocks them, i have one.

I'm genuinely thrilled for you. No one more deserving x

Howard828 wrote: »
    Happy days! Great time to be in the clear, at this stage you should feel even entitled to it, enjoy this month and some of next, for the next 30 years you'll be in employment haha. 40 days so see the world!

Ah yeah, it was nice to get some good news but I'm gonna hold off on thinking about it until I receive the official email. Knowning my luck, it might be pulled for something haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

deadly man, well deserved.

Id be betting on u for an intake haha, you will be pushing us "hopefuls" out of the way with your oom. But again your entitled to it 100% so chalk it down man. Worth the wait.

I'm genuinely thrilled for you. No one more deserving x

Cheers, I still think somebody's playing a cruel joke haha

• Advertisement

Howard828 wrote: »
    Id be betting on u for an intake haha, you will be pushing us "hopefuls" out of the way with your oom. But again your entitled to it 100% so chalk it down man. Worth the wait.

Haha, ah no once my foots in the door I'll be reaching my hand out for ye! Pulling ye in the door on the Hush hush! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

Aw delighted for you

Henry2006 wrote: »
    Aw delighted for you

It's been a long, long time coming :)

Just want that email now to make it official.

Cheers, I still think somebody's playing a cruel joke haha

Sorry for the x.. Ive been drinking copious amounts of alcohol!! :D No joke... it's your time :)

Sorry for the x.. Ive been drinking copious amounts of alcohol!! :D No joke... it's your time :)

Haha no bother :) that's the way to have it, plenty of drink to be had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement