Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house for 3 males in Limerick advice

• 10-02-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

We're having some trouble renting a place in Limerick for 3 professional working males in our late 20s. I've tried daft.ie and rent.ie and I'm finding it really difficult. We've went to a few house viewings and nobody seems to take us on. Is there anything I can do to convince them to take us on. We're not party animals or anything by any means but perhaps our age and gender is putting landlords off us?

I've been told to go to the auctioneers directly.
    Can maybe you list some good ones. Any recommendations on which ones to use?

Thanks very much for the helps in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

You don't seem to be the only one in this boat. 3 Limerick FC players are having the exact same problem. They are having to travel down from Dublin and stay in hotels because they can't get anywhere to rent despite looking for a few months.

Jofspring wrote: »
    You don't seem to be the only one in this boat. 3 Limerick FC players are having the exact same problem. They are having to travel down from Dublin and stay in hotels because they can't get anywhere to rent despite looking for a few months.

Its not just a limerick problem either. It took me 4 months to find where I am living in Dublin and even though I don't like it I've just renewed the lease for a 4th time because I can't find anywhere better, in an area I prefer.

The only thing that worked for me in the end was to bring my deposit with me in cash when going to the viewing, to bring my references with me, and always go to a viewing in a suit.

While the property shortage continues, its not a problems thats going away anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Have you a particular neighbourhood in mind? And what's your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Jofspring wrote: »

Give references and contact number from the previous landlord from all applicants. Should be ok then. If there is no references or gaps id say forget it. No one will take single males unless they have great references. Too much risk
    I would not approach auctioneers. They have usually instructions from the owner to find a family/low risk tenants. You are probably better off finding an owner directly and putting your circumstance to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

jsd1004 wrote:
    Give references and contact number from the previous landlord from all applicants. Should be ok then. If there is no references or gaps id say forget it. No one will take single males unless they have great references. Too much risk I would not approach auctioneers. They have usually instructions from the owner to find a family/low risk tenants. You are probably better off finding an owner directly and putting your circumstance to them.

As a landlord I much prefer male tenants. I'm not sure what the risk is. My experience has always been that male tenants are less hassle than female ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

zulutango wrote: »
    Have you a particular neighbourhood in mind? And what's your budget?

We're getting less and less picky about location but around Dooradoyle, Raheen or Caherdavin and budget would be 1200 for 4 or 1100 per 3.

I'm beginning to think of telling our current landlord we intend to move and gather the reference but I hate putting that stress on ourselves you know. Would the summer be any different do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Give references and contact number from the previous landlord from all applicants. Should be ok then. If there is no references or gaps id say forget it. No one will take single males unless they have great references. Too much risk
    I would not approach auctioneers. They have usually instructions from the owner to find a family/low risk tenants. You are probably better off finding an owner directly and putting your circumstance to them.

Ya I think you're right. I think we'll need to be completely organised especially seen as we're single males. It's shame really because we really are great tenants despite people usually our age and we're all working and honestly don't have time for the partying etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

presently tiling and doing bathroom makeovers in a scheme of houses in Castleconnell. 25 out of 60 left. new houses, appliances, carpets, everything new. one a week being made available. dont know how much. but if interested in that area i can find out and pass you on the landlords name.

Advertisement