Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 10-02-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

George Orwell's 1984 has had a resurgence of interest following the arrival of President Trump and the introduction of "Alternative Facts."

I had never read it, so picked up a copy recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I'd rate it as being "unputdownable." Without question it's a bleak, hopeless, but thought-provoking read, as well as being an overall enjoyable tale.

For me, the level of detail was fantastic. Not only the details of BB's propaganda machine, the telescreens, newspeak, the versifactor for creating sentimental music, etc. but, the detail as to how (outlined in "Goldstein's" book) and, eventually, why BB retained absolute power really stood out. Alongside, the threat of spy children to their parents and the dumbing down and worthlessness of the proles, despite their numbers.

While I can see similarities between modern society and Oceania, such as heavily edited news outlets, the ever-increasing divide between the wealthy and the poor, empty media on television and radio, etc. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that the book is premonition of modern times or the Trump/post-Trump era, as some sensationalists in the media might, but it is a cautionary tale of a manipulated society and the hazard of regaining power/freedom once it's seized.

Given its recent revival, has anyone else read it lately?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Been a few years since I read it, but definitely a favourite book of mine. I thought of it immediately when I heard of Trumps "alternative facts". Its relevance today as a book written nearly 70 years ago is a credit to it.

You should try Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World if you enjoyed 1984.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I have read it a few times but after the first, I tend to skip the Ing-Soc principles section.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

GLaDOS wrote: »
    You should try Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World if you enjoyed 1984.

Thanks, these two titles continuously pop-up alongside 1984, so I might try them next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I read it a few years ago and as well as it being thought-provoking, I thought it was also beautifully written. It should be on the school curriculum.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I read it a few years ago and as well as it being thought-provoking, I thought it was also beautifully written. It should be on the school curriculum.

Its on the list of texts permitted for the Leaving Cert comparitive study this year I believe.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Thanks, these two titles continuously pop-up alongside 1984, so I might try them next.
    Fahrenheit 451 is a personal favorite of mine. Ray Bradbury, IMHO, brings a unique eye to the totalitarian phenomenon. I'd say more, but I'd have to spoil it.

I'm currently reading Sinclair Lewis 'It can't happen here' and I can't recommend it. None of Orwell's insight into how people could find themselves crushed by a power structure that requires their consent to function. On the other hand, lots of unconscious snobbery.

And stuff that you winch as you realise what a writer could get away with in 1935. Like this splendid bit of dialogue from page 276, from a character reflecting on the risks to her personal safety while spying on a local fascist boss

"I haven't any desire, beyond maybe a slight curiousity, to be raped"

The only thing stopping me from heating this paranoid wet dream of a book to 451 degrees is that it doesn't deserve the honour of being burnt. Anyone got a wobbly table in need of a prop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Pete Moss wrote: »
    George Orwell's 1984 has had a resurgence of interest following the arrival of President Trump and the introduction of "Alternative Facts."

I had never read it, so picked up a copy recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I'd rate it as being "unputdownable." Without question it's a bleak, hopeless, but thought-provoking read, as well as being an overall enjoyable tale.

For me, the level of detail was fantastic. Not only the details of BB's propaganda machine, the telescreens, newspeak, the versifactor for creating sentimental music, etc. but, the detail as to how (outlined in "Goldstein's" book) and, eventually, why BB retained absolute power really stood out. Alongside, the threat of spy children to their parents and the dumbing down and worthlessness of the proles, despite their numbers.

While I can see similarities between modern society and Oceania, such as heavily edited news outlets, the ever-increasing divide between the wealthy and the poor, empty media on television and radio, etc. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that the book is premonition of modern times or the Trump/post-Trump era, as some sensationalists in the media might, but it is a cautionary tale of a manipulated society and the hazard of regaining power/freedom once it's seized.

Given its recent revival, has anyone else read it lately?

Just started it myself and I'm really enjoying it. Just 40 pages in and some of the stuff is spot On for current times; burying bad news, revisionism, tribalism etc
    Speaking if Trump, the Two Minutes Hate bit reminded me of some of the anti Trump protest nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

the government controls your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

melloa wrote: »
    the government controls your mind
    The Government hardly knows what day of the week it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

Balf wrote: »
    The Government hardly knows what day of the week it is.

they weren't informed what day it is

• Advertisement
Advertisement