Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride London 2017

Options
  • 10-02-2017 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Wahoo,,, just got my confirmation that I was successful in the ballot!!
    I believe it's a great event, anyone out there do this before?
    Would love to hear on your experience:-

The course?
    Whats the best options for travelling over, ferry or fly?
    Where to stay ect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Congrats! I've done it twice now, but I live very close to the route so can't comment on travel. I got a charity entry this year.

The ride itself is fantastic. Completely closed roads and mostly great marshaling. You might notice that people take advantage of the closed roads and most people aim for a time (like marathon runners). Keep your wits about you as some riders can push themselves beyond their abilities (this can happen on any sportive). Riding through London with no motorised traffic is brilliant.

The food stops are largely gels/bananas so I bring some real food with me in my pocket.

There are three notable climbs, but keep something extra in the tank for the last 25km between Kingston and Wimbledon, where there is a lump that can be tricky on empty legs.

Enjoy it OP. I hope we get the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Got a confirmation but can't go, a real pity.

Maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

dahat wrote: »

Maybe next year.

Me too unfortunately :(

Seadin wrote: »

Think we can hold a place for 2018 if we withdraw correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Think we can hold a place for 2018 if we withdraw correctly.
    I postponed last year, you're guaranteed the option to reenter (and repay).

• Advertisement

I postponed last year, you're guaranteed the option to reenter (and repay).

Re enter or place assured?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

From my reading of it:

You pay your 2017 fee (£91)
    You need to withdraw, so you fill out the withdrawal form.
    Your 2017 fee is non refundable, but, in exchange, provided you are not on a guaranteed entry from a 2016 withdrawal, you get a guaranteed entry for 2018, subject to the 2018 fee (£91)

Essentially, you are paying £91 to skip the 2018 ballot, but not for to pay the 2018 fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

For those not cycling there is a great atmosphere - with events in the parks etc and you can enjoy watching the diverse cycles people put together to participate in the family fun day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Maybe next year.
    Seadin wrote: »

Was the date of this ride unconfirmed before ye entered? Considering ye didn't know about the deferral seems odd to enter.
    £91 ffs

Agreed but I guess closed roads in London come at a cost.

• Advertisement

It's only £58 for UK entrants, infuriatingly. That said, I think the odds of getting a spot with an international address are good bit higher. Based on observation only.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

I have done this 3 times now and really enjoyed every one but the price has gone made! The first year it was the same as UK, the second year it was £10 more and last year it was £85 when UK entries were £58. Every overseas entry seems to get in as its a money maker for them. I had 4 UK friends enter with a French address last year and all 4 got in.

The atmosphere is amazing and I recommend going in on the Saturday to watch the Pro women racing and just hang out with a park full of cyclists in Green park.

On the day itself be careful! You need to watch out for muppets - faster and slower ones unfortunately. Some of the riding is downright dangerous. Nutters overtaking on down hills with no visability while weaving through other cyclists. I passed a very nasty accident last year and other friends who started behind me were stuck standing for over 2 hours while the roads where blocked waiting for ambulances. I recommend getting in with a good looking group and staying there for the day.

The hills are easy. If you can ride the Embankement you can ride Box Hill. Only the last stretch of Leith Hill is testing. Be careful on the narrow rd down from Leith after the climb - its narrow with high trees on both sides throwing dappled sunlight on a road surface which isnt great.

All that said - I loved all 3 years. There is nothing like sprinting for the finish arch on the Mall in front of Buckingham Palace. Dont forget to look around and admire the sights too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

For those who traveled over,, did you fly with the bike or did you take the car & ferry? How difficult is the logistics & having a free days in london with a bike in tow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've done sail/rail to london a couple of years ago. Very nice way to travel. You roll up to the ferry, first off and straight on to the train, next stop london...

Rail and Sail is great. I've done it with a bike both ways before too. It's also quite an affordable way to bring your bike to London.

Just be sure to book your bike onto the trains in advance. It's free to book and guarantees you a spot on the train for your bike, as some trains only have space for a couple of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Did it last year and got accepted again this year but cant do it. Flew over last year and rented bike. Was dreading using a rented bike but it didnt make as much difference as I expected. Collected it the day before at registration and dropped of at the finish.

Really enjoyable day. We got help up because of medical emergencies about 30 or 40 miles in so my time wasnt too impressive. I had heard so much about Box Hill that I was expecting it to be a real ballbreaker but if you are used of doing a few climbs on your regular cycles its not too bad.

Enjoy the weekend - its worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Bumping this back up:-

Is there any Boardies doing this this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Dow99 wrote: »

I have an entry but undecided if/how I'll go as I might do the Etape instead. Ferry prices seem to have risen the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Dow99 wrote: »

I did "win" in the lottery but didn't get to purchase the ticket due to it clashing with personal stuff in July, hopefully next year.

Advertisement