Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who asked the British to 'protect' our airspace from the Russians or anyone else ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Really ? The damage a lone would could do here in Dublin for example before being killed would be insane. Remember we are white infidels.

Not really, in the context of a single incident it would be dramatic, maybe even reach double figures, but it would still be 'small' relative to the number killed on our roads in, say, 3 months.

You're more at risk crossing the road than getting killed by a jihadi, or pseudo-jihadi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

maryishere wrote: »
    I showed you a link where we were one of 60 countries on their list. What link have you to show otherwise / that we were taken off the list?

Unlike you, I actually know what I'm talking about. I dont work from old regurgitated news articles.

Ireland is not an IS target. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Jawgap wrote: »
    Not really, in the context of a single incident it would be dramatic, maybe even reach double figures, but it would still be 'small' relative to the number killed on our roads in, say, 3 months.

You're more at risk crossing the road than getting killed by a jihadi, or pseudo-jihadi.

80 odd killed and 400 odd injured wounded in France on high alert. Are people this naive ?

Unlike you, I actually know what I'm talking about. I dont work from old regurgitated news articles.

Ireland is not an IS target. End of.

Link please.... Or has one spoken to them personally ?

Link please.... Or has one spoken to them personally ?

The fact that you need links lets me know you have no idea what you are talking about.

What information do YOU have that Ireland is a direct target for IS? You have none. None at all.....no wait....theres a video from 12+ months ago on the internet.

I base my informed opinion on current European and Irish threat levels, the modus operandi, intent, capabilities and motives of jihadist groups like IS and their affiliates.

This coupled with Irelands immigration and integration policies and regional issues and infuences.

If you dont understand that then thats something a hundread links wont solve.

If you like, you can do a quick Google search for the recent France / German / Brussels events whereby Francis Fitzgerald repeatedly states "there is no reason to change Irelands terror threat level". She gets that information from multiple official sources from people who also know what they are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

She gets that information from multiple official sources from people who also know what they are talking about.

Knew what they were talking about...did the Gardai even know that Terence Kelly was out of the country when he was killed in an ISIS mission not too long ago?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/irishman-dies-carrying-out-suicide-attack-for-isis-near-mosul-1.2856367
    What information do YOU have that Ireland is a direct target for IS?

A statement / video from ISIS listing the countries of infidels it wishes to attack sooner or later and we are on that list.

Knew what they were talking about...did the Gardai even know that Terence Kelly was out of the country when he was killed in an ISIS mission not too long ago?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/irishman-dies-carrying-out-suicide-attack-for-isis-near-mosul-1.2856367

I'm not qualified to speak on behalf of AGS and neither are you.

Now since the only info you have is from the internet.

Kindly provide us with the full list of Irish or naturalised Irish people who are currently fighting on behalf of various groups in current conflict zones......is he the only one you know of?

A statement / video from ISIS listing the countries of infidels it wishes to attack sooner or later and we are on that list.

Wow, still holding onto that! :pac:

Totally blinkered.

The fact that you need links lets me know you have no idea what you are talking about.

What information do YOU have that Ireland is a direct target for IS? You have none. None at all.....no wait....theres a video from 12+ months ago on the internet.

I base my informed opinion on current European and Irish threat levels, the modus operandi, intent, capabilities and motives of jihadist groups like IS and their affiliates.

This coupled with Irelands immigration and integration policies and regional issues and infuences.

If you dont understand that then thats something a hundread links wont solve.

If you like, you can do a quick Google search for the recent France / German / Brussels events whereby Francis Fitzgerald repeatedly states "there is no reason to change Irelands terror threat level". She gets that information from multiple official sources from people who also know what they are talking about.

Maybe look up ministers commenting on things and Ireland "Not being Immune".

Kindly provide us with the full list of Irish or naturalised Irish people who are currently fighting on behalf of various groups in current conflict zones......is he the only one you know of?

200 is it not ?

• Advertisement

No, his history with the Gardai was widely documented in the papers shortly after he was killed on his ISIS mission / his bomb exploded prematurely.

Now, you claimed " Ireland is not an IS target. End of." Have you spoken to them personally, and if so, do think still think It is impossible Ireland (or American planes / companies here ) will ever be attacked? Are you aware some American companies take their security seriously?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

did the Gardai even know that Terence Kelly was out of the country when he was killed in an ISIS mission not too long ago?

Why would they even care?

Are the Gardai keeping tabs on all Irish persons when they go abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I never saw it, or claimed to have seen it, but if its good enough for the Examiner...
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/raf-tornado-jets-could-shoot-down-hijacked-planes-in-irish-airspace-414646.html

How do you know this then, if you haven't read it?
    maryishere wrote:
    But an agreement should not be so one sided that one side is providing a service and the other side is not paying for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This thread has turned boring.

80 odd killed and 400 odd injured wounded in France on high alert. Are people this naive ?

Seriously?

You do understand that France has a historic involvement in the region and was partially responsible for half the Sykes-Picquot Agreement which divided up the region and that it's a significant political and military power, including being a permanent member of the Security Council?

You really think that because France was target we're a target? Are people this naive?

Seriously?

You do understand that France has a historic involvement in the region and was partially responsible for half the Sykes-Picquot Agreement which divided up the region and that it's a significant political and military power, including being a permanent member of the Security Council?

You really think that because France was target we're a target? Are people this naive?

Why would the minister comment on this then ? Why specifically on gatherings and holidays. doing it for the crack and scaremongering I suppose ? explain what makes us Immune ?

Seriously?

Are people this naive?

Some people in here have no interest in thinking for themselves.

They take everything at face value from media sources without understanding the background. Its pure lazy opinion which they then reinforce but using more lazy opinion and think they are right :pac:

They have no understanding of the Syria crisis never mind Jihadist doctrine and the inherent complexities behind it.

They still think the video of the "coalition of devils" substantiates a credible and imminent threat to Ireland.

They dont even know how it came about and why our flag is there in the first place. :pac:

I like a bit of debate...with people of informed opinion, which is completely lacking in this thread.

I've put the mouthbreathers on ignore as they are blinkered and ignorant to the situation and clouded by headlines.

Anyway. No point engaging with a guy trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Best of luck with them Jawgap :)

Why would they even care?

Are the Gardai keeping tabs on all Irish persons when they go abroad?

The Isis member, as one of the most extreme Muslims in Ireland, was not unknown to the Gardai. According to the link I gave you, if you bothered reading it, "Mr Kelly was arrested by gardaí in 2011, ahead of US president Barack Obama’s visit to the Republic. "

Some people in here have no interest in thinking for themselves.

They take everything at face value from media sources without understanding the background. Its pure lazy opinion which they then reinforce but using more lazy opinion and think they are right :pac:

They have no understanding of the Syria crisis never mind Jihadist doctrine and the inherent complexities behind it.

They still think the video of the "coalition of devils" substantiates a credible and imminent threat to Ireland.

They dont even know how it came about and why our flag is there in the first place. :pac:

I like a bit of debate...with people of informed opinion, which is completely lacking in this thread.

I've put the mouthbreathers on ignore as they are blinkered and ignorant to the situation and clouded by headlines.

Anyway. No point engaging with a guy trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Best of luck with them Jawgap :)

Is the minister of foreign affairs incompetent in your opinion ? He is on record saying we are not immune and to be watchful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Isis member, as one of the most extreme Muslims in Ireland, was not unknown to the Gardai. According to the link I gave you, if you bothered reading it, "Mr Kelly was arrested by gardaí in 2011, ahead of US president Barack Obama’s visit to the Republic. "

And what interest would the Gardai have in this man if he is outside the jurisdiction?

All they can do is advise the country to which he is flying that he's on his way, and beyond that what else could they do? Follow him?

And more to the point, what's he got to do with the RAF defending their interests in Irish airspace?

And what interest would the Gardai have in this man if he is outside the jurisdiction?

All they can do is advise the country to which he is flying that he's on his way, and beyond that what else could they do? Follow him?

They did not know he was outside the country, and had been for some time. They though he was still in Ireland somewhere. So when I read that
    Francis Fitzgerald repeatedly states "there is no reason to change Irelands terror threat level". She gets that information from multiple official sources from people who also know what they are talking about.
    I have to laugh, because Francis Fitzgerald does not even know what ISIS extremists are in the country or not.

And more to the point, what's he got to do with the RAF defending their interests in Irish airspace?
    They do not have interests in Irish airspace: they help defend our interests in Irish airspace

They did not know he was outside the country, and had been for some time. They though he was still in Ireland somewhere. So when I read that I have to laugh, because Francis Fitzgerald does not even know what ISIS extremists are in the country or not.

Not being Irish can I ask. Who is the agency responsible for spying and alike CIA equivalent MI6-5.

Not being Irish can I ask. Who is the agency responsible for spying and alike CIA equivalent MI6-5.

M15 is internal security of UK. M16 involved outside UK.

In Ireland, from Wiki: The Special Detective Unit (SDU) (Irish: Aonad Speisialta Bleachtaireachta) is the main domestic security agency of the Garda Síochána, the national police force of Ireland, under the aegis of the Crime & Security Branch (CSB). It is the primary counter-terrorism and counter-espionage investigative unit ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Does the fact that we're neutral not protect it ? If you don't pose a threat to someone else they tend to leave you alone, hence why this state hasn't been at war with anyone since it was founded.

We are not Neutral, we never have been, look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Given Britain's murderous history in our country and Ireland's fairly friendly relations with Russia, I'd gladly take Russian planes defending our country over British planes.

But the usual racist lick arses who think Obama was a "nice guy" will be out defending the global rapists....

I bet you'd even support ISIS if the Brits were fighting them.:D

You always sound like a caricature of anti-British person.

The historical facts make you uncomfortable?

Why would the minister comment on this then ? Why specifically on gatherings and holidays. doing it for the crack and scaremongering I suppose ? explain what makes us Immune ?

"Minister Speaks Sh1te"

Well colour me surprised that a politician failed to decline an opportunity to say something that would boost their profile :rolleyes:

Saying we're not immune is not the same as saying we're a target - I'm not immune from getting hit by a car, it doesn't mean there's a driver targeting me.

ISIS are not mindless savages. Their violence is about sending a carefully crafted political message - if they were just interested in body counts they'd target football stadia, not airports or transport networks. There's a reason, for example, they hit Brussels airport and not the busier Sciphol (which they could have easily travelled to) - the EU is headquartered in Brussels - they weren't attacking an airport inasmuch as it was a strike at a major centre of political power.

Lone wolves attaching themselves to ISIS are not the same as ISIS targeting a country. If they didn't put any resources into the attack then it wasn't targeted, because it wasn't important to them.

M15 is internal security of UK. M16 involved outside UK.

In Ireland, from Wiki: The Special Detective Unit (SDU) (Irish: Aonad Speisialta Bleachtaireachta) is the main domestic security agency of the Garda Síochána, the national police force of Ireland, under the aegis of the Crime & Security Branch (CSB). It is the primary counter-terrorism and counter-espionage investigative unit ..

I wouldn't be relying on Wikipedia ;)

The SDU isn't the equivalent of MI5 - it's more like the equivalent of Counter-Terrorism Command in the Met. "Security & Intelligence" is the state's equivalent of MI5.

We have no direct equivalent to MI6 or GCHQ - G2 would be the closest and that would be a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Russia or US could land grab Ireland, Would US defend us if Russia invaded , maybe before Trump they would have, now not so sure. Trump would tell us to defend ourselves. Russia are slowly land grabbing, they have done it forever. They are creeping west acre by acre .

map-of-russia.gif

The US started out as 13 states on the east coast. It is now 50 states. Plus countless other territories and something like 800 military bases abroad.

Russia (which was what the USSR was) lost huge tracts of territory in 1991.

And your post........

Advertisement