Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseas landlord query please.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It being ridicilous or the non-enformemt as if it's the latter you will need to show some proof.

The non enforcement.

I have 100% knowledge that if revenue know your LL lives overseas they will adjust your tax credits so that the 20% is physically given to them via the PAYE system.

Of course it becomes less likely that they will know as the rental tax credit applies to fewer and fewer people. But on the other hand as property tax is collected thru PAYE as well, its likely theyll find ways of knowing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Landlord/eatate/management agent relationships change - perhaps they moved back; change of job or contract came to an end, perhaps they became aware of the increasing risk of the EA going bust or taking the rent and going off with it & figured why take the risk. Either way I'd be ignoring the barrack room talk & making sure you pay the full rent due - you will look like an awful idiot in court saying I thought I had to manage my Landlords tax affairs with revenue for him - or - someone on the internet told me to do it - it was just resting in my account.

There are countries you will will never be allowed visit and jobs you will never be able to take across whole industries if you have a financial or criminal case against your Name.

ll/EA relationships change - perhaps they moved back; change of job or contract came to an end, perhaps they became aware of the increasing risknof EA giing bust or taking the rent and going off with it & figured why take the risk. Either way I'd be ignoring the barrack room talk & making sure you pay the full rent due - you will look like an awful idiot in court saying I thought I had to manage my Landlords tax affairs with revenue for him - or - someone on the internet told me to do it - it was just resting in my account.

You will look like an awful idiot if you have to pay extra tax to the Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Graces7 wrote: »
    The agent has told me in writing to send the full rent to the landlord at her Irish bank account.

Tell the agent that you are happy to do this, but that you need them to give you the landlord's address in writing. You are entitled to know the LL's address.

If they give you an Irish address, then deposit the full rent. (It's not your job to validate that the address is correct).

If they give you an overseas address, then deposit 80%, and write to the LL at the address confirming what you have done.

NB Not legal advice,just my take. Maybe you want to ask Threshold too ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No matter where you live if you are a landlord in receipt of rental income from an Irish asset you must file an Irish tax return.

So the landlord must file a tax return.

When they do so they will get credit for any payments made by the tennant. No extra tax is being paid. As long as you stay within the rules. If you step outside the rules as a tennant Revenue can choose to penalise you. Will they? If they decide to sure.

I've seen a case where a non resident landlord filed 4 years tax returns claiming that what they received was 80% of the agreed rent and they wanted credit for the 20% deducted. Tennant protested that they didn't know landlord was non resident and they were paying 100% of the agreed rent to landlord every month.

No written lease stating the rent. Revenue chose to agree with the landlord leaving the tennant owning money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Either way I'd be ignoring the barrack room talk & making sure you pay the full rent due - you will look like an awful idiot in court saying I thought I had to manage my Landlords tax affairs with revenue for him - or - someone on the internet told me to do it - it was just resting in my account.

Try doing some research, rather than giving false advice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

You will find the same info, in more detail, on the Revenue site, with the full statute.

It is the legal obligation of the tenant to withhold 20% of the rent, and pay to the Revenue if the landlord is non-resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Landlord/eatate/management agent relationships change - perhaps they moved back; change of job or contract came to an end, perhaps they became aware of the increasing risk of the EA going bust or taking the rent and going off with it & figured why take the risk. Either way I'd be ignoring the barrack room talk & making sure you pay the full rent due - you will look like an awful idiot in court saying I thought I had to manage my Landlords tax affairs with revenue for him - or - someone on the internet told me to do it - it was just resting in my account.

There are countries you will will never be allowed visit and jobs you will never be able to take across whole industries if you have a financial or criminal case against your Name.
    Oh, for crying out loud. Enough with the scaremongering.

In the first place, a dispute between you and your landlord over whether you were right to withold rent is not a "financial or crimoipnal case" that could possibly affect your visa entitlement in any country.

More to the point, if a non-resident landlord sues you for withholding 20% and accounting to the Revenue for it, you will win and he will lose. And if there really are the consequences you suggest to losing such a case, it is the landlord who faces them, not the tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Find and talk to the landlord OP.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Oh, for crying out loud. Enough with the scaremongering.

In the first place, a dispute between you and your landlord over whether you were right to withold rent is not a "financial or crimoipnal case" that could possibly affect your visa entitlement in any country.

More to the point, if a non-resident landlord sues you for withholding 20% and accounting to the Revenue for it, you will win and he will lose. And if there really are the consequences you suggest to losing such a case, it is the landlord who faces them, not the tenant.

Oh for crying out loud - not only are the courts full of recidivist criminals with their sob stories of not knowing & having a bad upbringing, but now we have barrack-room boyos online telling people not to pay their full rent & putting them at risk of criminal prosecution - and there will always be one gullible who fancies themselves with 20% off thir rent to hold onto & keep handy who will loose their rental and references and end up will a criminal prosecution over it.I'd love to be in the court when they explain that they refused to fulfil their contract because an anonymous stranger online told them to do it and keep 20% of the money; or they had meant to investigate the tax and living affairs of the person they had a contract with but realised they wern't a policeman and had no clue at all about their life and so just held onto 20% of their contract due and that is why they are having a judgement made against them for breech of contract in court or why they are explaining to the dole officer or RA people why they have other income they did not declare & have unsatisfactory answer for. So - quick judgement with life penalty points for stupidity - no visa to Australia, or America, no job in the bank - ever - or insurance companys, or finance, or investment, or multinationals like ebay, or paypal, or pretty much any company handling bank detail, etc etc. But you just keep on acting irresponsibly and encouraging schmucks to line up for a criminal conviction & ruin their futures. Lets face it - you won't be there in the courtroom when they are being prosecuted or evicted for non payment of rent or their RA ir doke cut off or having a work or travel visa refused because of something stupid they did that they were foolish or guillable enough to want to believe.

" it was only resting in my account"
    They have comedy series made about it. only its only funny when its someone else being riduculously stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Oh for crying out loud - not only are the courts full of recidivist criminals with their sob stories of not knowing & having a bad upbringing, but now we have barrack-room boyos online . . .
    Ironic, coming from you.

Failure to pay your rent is not a crime and a dispute with your landlord over whether you have paid the correct amount of rent does not put you ar risk of criminal prosecution.

Do not bother to post a reply contradicting this unless it includes a link to a section of an Irish statute making non-payment of rent a crime. You will only make yourself look more ridiculous than you already do.

If you had bothered to read the thread you would realise that nobody has told the OP to withhold 20% of the rent and keep it for himself. He is to withhold 20% of the rent and account for it to the Revenue.

Oh for crying out loud - not only are the courts full of recidivist criminals with their sob stories of not knowing & having a bad upbringing, but now we have barrack-room boyos online telling people not to pay their full rent & putting themat risk of criminal prosecution - and there will always be one gullible who willloose their rental and references and end up will a criminal prosecution over it. I'd live to be in the court when they explain that they refused to fulfil their contract because an anonymous stranger online tild them to do it and keep 20% of the money; or they gad meant to investigate the tax and living affairs of the person they had a contract with but realised they wern't a policeman and had no clue at all about their life and so just held onto 20% of their contract due and that is why they aregaving a judgement made against them for breech of contract in court. So - no visa to Australia, or America, or job in the bank - ever - or insurance companys, or finance, etc wtc. But you just keep on acting irresponsibly and encouraging schmucks to line up for a criminal conviction & ruin their futures. Lets dace it - you win't be there in the courtroom when they are being prosecuted or evicted for non payment of rent or having a work or travel visa refused because of something stupid they did that they were foolish or guillable enough to want to believe.

" it was only resting in my account"
    They have comedy series made about it.police involved there too.
    Nobody can be criminally prosecuted for non payment of rent unless it is in a court run by a barrack room lawyer from the internet. Eviction does not (even if it happened) for a ground for refusing a visa since it is entirely a civil matter. People have however been made to pay the landlords taxes to the revenue and failure to do that can result in a criminal conviction.
    All of the links on this site contradict your position which is entirely devoid of supporting link.

It takes little effort for a landlord to take a eviction case or civil action against someone in breech of their contract - with all the consequences that follow . The lobbyists that want vulnerable & guillable people to ruin their futrues will hide safd behind their keyboards - the consequences will be forever with the foolhardy that are squirreling money away in the pretense of a kangaroo decision about the living and tax compliance & annual returns of someone who their contact with or detailed knowledge of is typically negilable or based on a throwaway comment. What is so shocking here is that the consequences for the guillable are so grave. Its is deeply disturbing that lovbyists are encouraging non payment of rent in full, withholding of layments, breach of contract etc. The real victim will be the tenant. But sure that's just incidental here I gather - they are disposable pawns .

It takes little effort for a landlord to take a eviction case or civil action against someone in breech of their contract - with all the consequences that follow . The lobbyists that want vulnerable & guillable people to ruin their futrues will hide safd behind their keyboards - the consequences will be forever with the foolhardy that are squirreling money away in the pretense of a kangaroo decision about the living and tax compliance & annual returns of someone who their contact with or detailed knowledge of is typically negilable or based on a throwaway comment. What is so shocking here is that the consequences for the guillable are so grave. Its is deeply disturbing that lovbyists are encouraging non payment of rent in full, withholding of layments, breach of contract etc. The real victim will be the tenant. But sure that's just incidental here I gather - they are disposable pawns .
    Still no links. A landlord can't take a civil action against a tenant for non payment of rent unless more than 20K is owed. Even then it is only a civil action and has to be preceeded by a letter of demand. By the time the 20k limit is passed the tenant will have paid 80K in rent. That will take years. How long do you expect any landlord who is not getting his full rent is going to wait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Have you thought about trying to contact the landlord OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: JustAThought - stop spreading false advice.

The law is clear. You cannot get a criminal conviction from doing what the law requires. The law states that if the landlord is non-resident, then the tenant must withhold 20% of the rent, to be paid to the Revenue.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html#le9d7d

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement