Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super league

Options
  • 10-02-2017 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

What impact will this have on the pro scene?

Will it detract from ITU WTS? What are people's thoughts? Good or bad idea?

https://superleaguetriathlon.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It looks very novelty. 100 dollars (aussie I assume) prize money though, so explains why the big name ITU men are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I think it's a great idea - seems to be timed around the ITU circuit as most of the athletes are ITU so they'll almost follow the circuit at times and do the race 2/3 weeks prior to the ITU race in same location.

The exciting part is the televised part - if it can deliver on the ITU mixed with the Island House then it will be a fun exciting series to follow.

Anyone that hasn't seen the Island House - check this out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p-lAlcL5vc

$100k for the winner is top class alright for one weekends work.
    A Russian Billionaire mixed with Macca seem to be organising it.

Hard to see the ITU stars not taking this down though.
    You'd really struggle to look past Alistair/Johnny in fairness. With perhaps Murray in there thanks to short swims and more bike/running.
    Gomez obv also so hard to see others fighting with them but who knows.
    First race starts Friday 17th March so a good weekend to watch hopefully.
    So 2 weeks after ITU Abu Dhabi and 3 weeks before ITU Gold Coast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the island house is pretty cool alright, i can't understand not having live coverage though, even asked them about it this year and they replied to say the race would be shown at a later date. surely it would make more sense to show it live?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just saw your comment there Mossy, live coverage definitely should have been organised, even a youtube or facebook livestream in this day in age.

There was an interesting interview today on facebook live worth checking out https://www.facebook.com/SuperLeagueTri/videos/406982129664436/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Think the superleague will be on eurosport, on early our time, 6.30 and probably a catch up rather than live but good to see it on TV.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Think the superleague will be on eurosport, on early our time, 6.30 and probably a catch up rather than live but good to see it on TV.

I'll set that to record. Interested to see how the 3 race format works

EDIT: just set the recordings there and it does appear to be live Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 6:30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

joey100 wrote: »

Bike channel had WTS Abu Dhabi before Eurosport this year. Worth keeping an eye on there too

So Friday, Saturday and Sunday has some good online streaming/eurosport coverage of this over the weekend - kicking off around 6:30am I think for those interested.

Jon Brownlee out injured.

So you've got:

- Alistair Brownlee
    - Javier Gomez
    - Richard Murray
    - Mola (too weak on bike)
    - Jake Birtwhistle (next big Aussie with beast run but hasn't done anything big yet)
    - Blummenfelt has an outside shot
    - Cam Dye
    - Schoeman
    - a few others worth mentioning too.

Murray with the form in that he took out Island House Tri in a similar type format and conditions. (No Brownlee or Gomez in that race).

Gomez in best form off Abu Dhabi win (& Dubai 70.3)
    Murray with form in this race format and conditions
    Brownlee doesn't race unless he has a shot at winning and goes hard always
    Youngsters racing with potentially better speed/recovery

Should make for some entertaining viewing hopefully.

Plenty of short vids and the likes on their Instagram account too. it looks like a beautiful location for the race.

Here is the break down of the event for those of you unsure

20 points available each day down to 1 point for those in 16th or beyond.

Friday - TRIPLE MIX
    Round 1 -Swim (300m), Bike (6km), Run (2km)
    (10-minute break)
    Round 2 -Run (2km), Bike (6km), Swim (300m)
    (10-minute break)
    Round 3 -Bike (6km), Swim (300m), Run (2km)

Saturday - Equalizer
    Part 1 - Cycling individual time trial then depending on where you finish in the time trial you get a head start in part 2. 1st place then 6 seconds gap to second place etc.
    Part 2 - Pursuit Swim (300m), Run (2km), Swim (300m), Bike (6km), Run (2km)

Sudnay - ELIMINATOR
    Round 1 - Swim (300m), Bike (6km), Run (2km)
    (10-minute break commences when round winner crosses the finish line)
    Top 15 finishers of Round 1 proceed to Round 2.
    Round 2 - Swim (300m), Bike (6km), Run (2km)
    (10-minute break commences when round winner crosses the finish line)
    Top 10 finishers of Round 2 proceed to Round 3.
    Round 3 - Swim (300m), Bike (6km), Run (2km)
    The first athlete across the finish line in Round 3 is the overall winner of Eliminator.

In the eliminator you still finish each race so if you finish 2nd by 2 minutes you only have 8 minutes recovery. This can play tactics for the final round. Very interesting to see how it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭El Director

Enjoying this :) So tempted to talk about what just happened! But don't want to spoil! Maybe we could have a "spoiler alert" in the title?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Wonder where Shaw would have ended up if not for the lap miscount...

EC1000 wrote: »

Okay so we are talking about it? Feck it, yeah! :P
    Yeah what a pity for Saw, he looks pissed off on this run! He looks in great from. Alister really suffering, that "the Mexican" comment was funny :pac: Looks like a beautiful place BTW

Enjoying this :) So tempted to talk about what just happened! But don't want to spoil! Maybe we could have a "spoiler alert" in the title?!

Perhaps with the early starts we can use
    tags until midnight?

Really enjoyed it this morning and looking forward to tomorrow. The coverage was very good I thought, I liked the interviews between the races and the FB live stuff going on down around the transition and recovery area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Really enjoyed it this morning and looking forward to tomorrow. The coverage was very good I thought, I liked the interviews between the races and the FB live stuff going on down around the transition and recovery area.

And the "interview" with the aussie in T2 during the last race, never seen that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

EC1000 wrote: »

and the fall from the bike in the third race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

like the st gorge formala one series many years ago , this is the real triathlon.

alister can join the slimming club i set up on thursday ;-)

Stage 1 of the second day has been ran being the bike tt.

Results attached.

Now they start stage 2 in the order and time of these results.
    Swim - run - Swim- bike -run

Here we go again! Not as hot so hopefully we'll see the best of Brownlee. Jesus Macca is loving the pain the athletes are going through! He's like the Mel Gibson of triathlon:p

• Advertisement

Here we go again! Not as hot so hopefully we'll see the best of Brownlee. Jesus Macca is loving the pain the athletes are going through! He's like the Mel Gibson of triathlon:p

Sorry...it's actually really really hot and humid!

re brownlee

have you seen how untrained this guy is ....
    that will take a good few weeks of training to get him fit.

he obviously made money from his oly title and took a well deseved break.

one thing is sure he will be so annoyed with this he will want to show he is the man to beat.
    And while murry is obviously great, a brownlee in shape and even better a team brownly is still very my money is on.
    At the same time murry is racing very smart/

anyway one has to say for a first time event this is pretty much to notch from a to z
    this is not an event organiced for officials ( you cant help to get this feeling with Itu especially at the olympics , or just for profit maximisation as with the m dot ) its organiced to be exciting.

Watched the first race of Day 1 on Friday, went to watch the next 2 races from Friday and the recording was gone! Raging cause I really enjoyed race 1, felt very bad for Shaw who was doing so well!

Catching up now on day 2. Enjoying the format so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DSdIQZFfKs

the link for 3 days racing

Birtwhistle has a huge future in ITU if this weekend is any reflection. A fantastic 3rd place for him having been pushing the front all weekend. Well done, seeing him drop Mola and Murray in the final stretch was amazing to watch especially for how strong Murray had been running all weekend. A nice $25,000 for a young athlete too

Looking forward to more weekend events like this, be interesting to see something like this in Ireland.

I have to say I loved the format and the racing. Here's hoping it lasts. Long course athletes don't stand a chance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Only catching up on bits and pieces of this now. Nice pay day for Murray to go with the Island house as well, I know not everyone was in peak form but he especially seems to enjoy and do well at this form of racing. The short enough swims probably help him not to lose a huge amount of time.

100% agree Gibbo, completely in favour of short course athletes but seems like it works well, hope to try and catch a bit of it online. Hopefully we see more of this type of racing too.

Fitter radio podcast this week has linked the women's race to Ireland... would be amazing if it was true. Getting my hopes up.

Also next men's event rumoured to be October in the Middle East

Fitter radio podcast this week has linked the women's race to Ireland... would be amazing if it was true. Getting my hopes up.

Also next men's event rumoured to be October in the Middle East

Far cry from the mens first event....lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

A few months behind but caught highlights of the Super league tonight On Sky. Wouldn't really watch that much Triathlon apart from the odd ITU race if I happen to come across it on the box so probably a target audience for this. Had to say it came across brilliantly and the format and excitement were excellent. Great to see Triathlon trying to make a go of enticing the masses into watching the sport. Top class racing and TV

Advertisement