Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Vigilante Group

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Police are not doing enough,why that is could be debated.
    Something needs to be done to clear the drug dealing scum out of these communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Police are not doing enough,why that is could be debated.
    Something needs to be done to clear the drug dealing scum out of these communities.

I think if Gardai got better support and appropriate sentencing for drug dealers and if the law was an actual deterrent then there would be no issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

A vigilante group wont make things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There's a fine line between breaking the law and taking the law into your own hands. How do you regulate vigilantism? Ever here of mistaken identity where innocent victims were beaten to death because they looked like the intended thug/pervert/paedo? Emotions are always running high in those committing vigilantism so clear, rational, logical thought is never a strong point. Justice needs to be left to the authorities no matter how frustrating that can be sometimes otherwise civilised society completely breaks down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

There was a crowd up the northside did this before, the 32 something or another, turned out they were protecting their own dealers.
    IMO whenever a group do this kind of stuff they're just looking after their own interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Very disappointing that the didn't call themselves the Mahon Tribunal. But anyoone with information on these thugs should go to the Gardai because it is as sure as night follows day that they will end up hurting innocent people. No sympathy for the pushers but this is not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did you see the webpage, they were lucky to spell Mahon right, there's no way they would have been able to handle "tribunal".

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

razorblunt wrote: »
    Did you see the webpage, they were lucky to spell Mahon right, there's no way they would have been able to handle "tribunal".

Haha. Yeah, they do seem incapable of stringing a proper sentence together alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

razorblunt wrote: »

Yeh they look as though they are going to act 'responsibly' especially as their FB page has a photo of a guy in a hoodie wielding a baseball bat :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 re_shaft

Organise a couple of hundred/thousand people, turn up at the doors of the dealers and camp out. Let them know we won't be afraid of these scum. Refuse to deal with them or their families. Shame them. Get them out. Worked before in Dublin, don't see why we can't now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

re_shaft wrote: »
    Organise a couple of hundred/thousand people, turn up at the doors of the dealers and camp out. Let them know we won't be afraid of these scum. Refuse to deal with them or their families. Shame them. Get them out. Worked before in Dublin, don't see why we can't now.
    And when they identify the wrong person?

Don't ever recall that happening in Dublin in the 80s. Locals tend to know who are the dealers...

But at least you're onboard with the idea, and merely want to work out the kinks. Well I don't really see any in regards to wrong identities. It will be strictly non violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Don't ever recall that happening in Dublin in the 80s. Locals tend to know who are the dealers...

But at least you're onboard with the idea, and merely want to work out the kinks. Well I don't really see any in regards to wrong identities. It will be strictly non violent.
    I think you've mistaken "click a button on Facebook" or writing a comment, with actually getting up off their arsé and doing something.

But at least you're onboard with the idea,
    News to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

I don't see why we can't give it a go. If you keep trying x to solve a problem and it doesn't work then maybe try z? If the Mahon Minuteman don't work then we can reassess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well at least they are doing something about it.. I see the page is taken down, it has to be frustrating for people living with this every day.. The guards fecking know who the dealers are, or where the drugs are and tis still the same ding dong they get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't see why we can't give it a go. If you keep trying x to solve a problem and it doesn't work then maybe try z? If the Mahon Minuteman don't work then we can reassess.

Why? Because the chances are high that innocent people will get hurt (or worse) through mistaken identity or personal grudges on the part of cretinous vigilantes.

I doubt it, I'd say everyone and their cats know whos at what down there.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Well at least they are doing something about it.. I see the page is taken down, it has to be frustrating for people living with this every day.. The guards fecking know who the dealers are, or where the drugs are and tis still the same ding dong they get away with it

I wouldn't blame the guards. I'd say you could place your blame on people who live in more affluent areas and who aren't affected by the scum dealing drugs. Few posting on here I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I wouldn't blame the guards. I'd say you could place your blame on people who live in more affluent areas and who aren't affected by the scum dealing drugs. Few posting on here I'd say.

Lol. No chance of actually blaming the dealers themselves then. It must be the people paying ther taxes and NOT dealing drugs... defo their fault for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

So it is rich peoples fault.. Mmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That must be one of the dumbest pieces of reasoning I've seen posted on boards, possibly ever.
    It shows the kind of person who supports vigilanteism.
    And before you go off on one, I regularly see syringes and spoons on the ground right around the corner from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

What does this even mean???

How do you think that there are people unaffected by drugs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yeah and Dublin is totally free of drugs and dealers these days as we all know.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yeah and Dublin is totally free of drugs and dealers these days as we all know.

I'm not saying it's perfect but it'll be a starting point.

To anyone interested, there's a pretty interesting documentary on the matter
    Meeting Room shines a powerful searchlight on a controversial moment in recent Dublin history. In early 1982, residents of Hardwicke Street called a meeting to address the epidemic of heroin use in the flats and the lack of action from the authorities to address the impending catastrophe. The parents of the area decided to take matters into their own hands and soon had formed a group known as Concerned Parents against Drugs (CPAD) to confront the dealers and drive them out of the neighborhoods. Checkpoints were set up and patrols put in place; soon, large crowds were publicly evicting unrepentant pushers, and a mass movement was born. Using film, newspaper and photographic archives, Meeting Room reconstructs the social history of 'the most important social movement in Dublin since the 1913 lockout' and charts its rise and fall during the 1980's.

I'm not saying it's perfect but it'll be a starting point.

To anyone interested, there's a pretty interesting documentary on the matter
    Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Forcibly evicting people out of their homes and conducting searches on vehicles? PIRA involvement? Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If someone can find a solution to heroin, I'd love to hear it. 
    Addicts are the best customers in the world. Even if you keep obliterating the dealers, those addicts find more and more ways of getting what they want. Humans are incredibly resourceful. 
    We sold our house and moved our family to get away from a well known dealer with convictions coming out his ears. Even when he swore blind he would stop, the junkies were still hanging around outside just dying to give him their money. Do you really expect an unemployable fella in his 20's with a criminal record to say 'no thanks dudes, no, no I don't want that cash, you keep it''?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Forcibly evicting people out of their homes and conducting searches on vehicles? PIRA involvement? Madness.

They were given the choice, stop dealing or move. What little PIRA involvement there was, was more of a "blessing" to the aims and a warning to the dealers that violence against the community leaders wouldn't be accepted. That was of the time, I'm not advocating it now. As I said, peaceful protests of the relevant houses. There's power in numbers.

Or we can just sit around tsk-tsking it saying "Wouldn't it be great if the Gardai did something" (when they won't) and allow the current madness to continue and whole communities to be destroyed.

pwurple wrote: »
    If someone can find a solution to heroin, I'd love to hear it.
    Addicts are the best customers in the world. Even if you keep obliterating the dealers, those addicts find more and more ways of getting what they want. Humans are incredibly resourceful.

Addicts don't just fall from the sky. The heroin explosion in Dublin in the 80s was directly related to certain criminals choosing to bring it in and creating a market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement