Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon's Warranty Isn't What I Expected...

Options
  • 10-02-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

So I got my "bike" back...

The frame of my 2 year old Roadlite AL snapped and I sent it off to be replaced under warranty. After waiting weeks they finally told me they had ordered a replacement frame and that will be £120 labour plus parts. I didn't see anything about labour charges when I bought the bike. I have to pay £120 labour because they sold me faulty goods. Their "6 year warranty" doesn't cover labour after 2 years. How is this my fault? Not once did they say this to me after a dozen emails THEN they tell me.

"Oh, but we're giving you this frame free of charge!" And send me an invoice for a €470 frame that I'm getting for "free". Yeah, that's the crash replacement price, which doesn't apply to me. They aren't doing me any favours here.

Then I'm told they got the wrong frame. So they sent me my parts back and I get to reassemble it from scratch. And they're expecting me to pay postage to get the frame back? After all this? I got a zip lock bag full of parts back FFS.

I honestly regret buying a Endurace CF in November now after all this, god forbid something goes wrong with that. I've heard nothing but good things from people on both the road and MTB side of having frames replaced, repairs etc. I wouldn't mind but I suspected I had a faulty shifter last year and they said they'd cover up to €60 for the LBS to repair it if I sent them the receipt so this was a surprise to me!

Is this what I can expect from the likes of Giant, Lapierre or Specialized? I don't suspect I'll buy another Canyon If I'm going to be told tough **** if it breaks.

TXFmntW.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Did the rum make it easier or harder to put together?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Did the rum make it easier or harder to put together?

I don't drink it, but I might start to help get me through putting it back together...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

DaveyDave wrote: »
    they sold me faulty goods. ]

Faulty goods don't last two years.
    That's why manufacturers offer Warranties.

I'm not disputing your claim but a bit more detail about the actual warranty claim might help.

Warranty is all about the language and conversation.

What was your warranty claim/submission?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Warranty is all about the language and conversation.

What was your warranty claim/submission?

Agreed.

OP - What broke? When did it break and what were you doing when it broke?

Also, what are Canyon's reasons for charging you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

crosstownk wrote: »
    Agreed.

OP - What broke? When did it break and what were you doing when it broke?

Also, what are Canyon's reasons for charging you?

Seat tube snapped around the bottle cage and parts of the frame just flaked off around it. Canyons reason for charging labour is because it's over two years old. No mention of that on the website with the 6 year warranty. I don't see why I have to be stuck with a €200ish bill for a warranty frame replacement. Only done about 10,000km on it, don't rally around on pot holes and the like because it would effect my wheels more than anything. Under the rider weight limit etc.

Not great customer service to be honest. Could have at least packed my parts properly instead of throwing then all in a bag together.

I don't even know why they're sending the frame to the UK they could have just sent it back to me direct since I'm rebuilding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Here is all I could find online:
    Following our two-year statutory warranty we also provide a voluntary guarantee for an additional four years (resulting in a six-year guarantee in total) on frames and forks on road, triathlon, urban and fitness bikes, and on mountain bike frames (excluding bearings and suspension).
    The guarantee only covers the above, other costs such as assembly, transport, etc. are not covered.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Canyons reason for charging labour is because it's over two years old. No mention of that on the website with the 6 year warranty.

OK.

Is there any reference to this in the warranty documentation?

I've never purchased a Canyon so I don't know what the Ts & Cs are.

jamesd wrote: »
    Here is all I could find online:
    Following our two-year statutory warranty we also provide a voluntary guarantee for an additional four years (resulting in a six-year guarantee in total) on frames and forks on road, triathlon, urban and fitness bikes, and on mountain bike frames (excluding bearings and suspension).
    The guarantee only covers the above, other costs such as assembly, transport, etc. are not covered.

And there's the answer.

Advertisement