Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which helmet to buy

Options
  • 10-02-2017 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I've recently started cycling and as mentioned on another thread, I'm surprised at how much I am enjoying it and I would like to do more of it.  I'd like to invest in a helmet but I don't know the first thing about them.  I saw another thread that was talking about something called MIPS?

Would a regular helmet that I could buy in somewhere like Argos be enough?  This might sound like a stupid question but do they keep your head warm?  I tend to wear a beanie hat now in the colder weather when walking or cycling.

Anything I should look out for or avoid when buying a helmet?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Not sure of your budget but I have an older model of this helmet and I find it quite comfortable, Giro a good brand as well:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/giro-savant-helmet-2017/rp-prod128414

I don't know much about the MIPS.

To keep my head warm I use a skull cap, there nice and thin under your helmet:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/s?q=skull+cap&cat=direct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

They all essentially conform to the same safety standard so basically you're free to buy whatever helmet you find most comfortable and aesthetically pleasing within whatever budget you have available to you, whether it's 30 quid or 300 quid. The dearer ones will be objectively lighter and subjectively "cooler" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Thanks.

I was thinking about spending less than £50 sterling.  Saw a few cheaper ones in Argos for less than £30 but I'm not sure they're worth buying?

Might be hard to try on for size in Argos, but as I said they all meet the same minimum safety standards so they're all equally "worth buying".

Throw up a want ad here on the buy and sell section. Betcha one of our boardsies has a helmet to offload. You'll have yourself a 100+ euro helmet for your 50 quid.
    Or alternatively visit a few bike shops and you'll get to try some for fit and size. 50 quid should see you sorted with something.

Once you get a nice one then you can, like others, purposefully choose never to wear it and post indignantly on here about how they kill more people than they save :D

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=310539&productId=1234069&storeId=11101

If there's a Halfords near you they do nice Boardman lids. That one is a shade over 50 quid. Boardman bikes are joining the pro peleton this year for added coolness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 BilyBalloobas

I dont recommend Boardman. Bought a €100 Boardman helmet from Halfords, respected brand, meets required standards. Had a crash, thankfully it stopped my skull getting smashed to pieces but at the same time the damn thing cut my head in bits. The EPS(Expanded polystyrene) protrudes the outer plastic shell by just 1mm, so when my lump of a head smashed into the road... the Polystyrene crushed inward more than 1mm and exposed the hard and very sharp plastic shell.... i may as well have taken a razorblade to my head. Something to be aware of.
    Oh and yes i did have it fitted correctly and tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

As said they should comply with standards so go for comfort and fit.

Personally I always bought Giro and dropped north of €100 every time I replaced a helmet. I've an odd shaped large head and while comfortable, I always needed to go for an x-large size and it sat very high, giving me that ridiculous mushroom look :)

I recently had a chat to the guys in LBS about them and they suggested more €€€ means aerodynamics and style. Ended up with a €50 canondale helmet that is extremely comfortable and doesn't look as ridiculous.

Chain Reaction cycles aren't too far away so I'm going to scoot over there in the morning and try a few and hopefully get one there.

Ended up getting a Giro one. Tried a few on in the shop and it was the most comfortable, although I now look like a mushroom too :)

Next item is some sort of wind and waterproof clothing!

Advertisement