Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amendments to penalty point structure - what changes would you make?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

SBPhoto wrote: »
    What a stupid and uninformed statement.

Might be stupid, might not be uninformed if the experience is the same as many of us. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.

I'd be 9 points for SAAB drivers from me.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Ban wide-bore exhaust systems.

Make it illegal to park with two wheels on the pavement.

6 points for living on a council estate then... (as I look out my windows!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Based on a post on the Garda Twitter thread, 3 points for each child not wearing an appropriate restraint.

6 points for the use of a hand held mobile while driving, and disqualification for a second offence within 2 years. If an accident occurs that can be attributed to phone use, automatic charge of at least driving without due care and attention, or possibly dangerous driving, with disqualification mandatory if guilty.

A period of disqualification for "professional" drivers (HGV, LGV and Taxi) using phone without hands free, with a new requirement that all commercial vehicles and Taxis have to have a working inbuilt bluetooth device for phones when going through periodic testing.

3 points if defective light is not shown as repaired within 3 working days of a stop check.

In passing, forget about the idea of an app that blocks phones above 20Kph, I travel in cars and on other vehicles when I'm not driving, and I expect my phone to work then.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Yeah, but you're suggesting it should be OK to exceed the limits by 22kmh. And your spedometer would show over by maybe 27kmh.

What's wrong with that exactly? You'll still get a fine for exceeding the speed limit, it's just the points that won't kick in until you have exceeded the speed limit by the amount stated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

dfeo wrote: »
    What's wrong with that exactly? You'll still get a fine for exceeding the speed limit, it's just the points that won't kick in until you have exceeded the speed limit by the amount stated.

Yeah what the hell is wrong I want an answer as Well??? What is wrong tell me??? That system is used in many other countries. Come on Lorenzo tell me

Johnboner wrote: »
    Yeah what the hell is wrong I want an answer as Well??? What is wrong tell me??? That system is used in many other countries. Come on Lorenzo tell me

Are you okay?(??)

Edit: I got a perfectly polite, but very funny response by PM where John retorted to this, and even I have to admit he won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Are you okay?(??)

Edit: I got a perfectly polite, but very funny response by PM where John retorted to this, and even I have to admit he won.

Let's hear it so. I know both of you will have to consent to making it public so I'll give you a few minutes.

Let's hear it so. I know both of you will have to consent to making it public so I'll give you a few minutes.

He can post it if he wants, I won't take it personally.

However my take on funny is generally pretty sh!te so he may not wish to disappoint you. I felt though that it wasn't fair to let it go unnoted (when I was being a sarky prick) that it wasn't answered.

dfeo wrote: »

Your suggestion means the more wealthy can be allowed afford drive over the limit?

Your suggestion means the more wealthy can be allowed afford drive over the limit?

That's not an entirely unreasonable proposition when you consider they would generally have newer and safer cars and we're talking minorly over the limit here. However no one likes paying a speeding fine and even poor people's insurance increases for having penalty points, very easy to do 58 in a 50. (I know :( )

If it helps maybe introduce a cap on the number you can get in a year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement