Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way for my family to find my missing cousin?

Options
  • 11-02-2017 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm sorry this doesn't really apply to adoption but I imagine someone here might be able to help. My uncle died a little less than 15 years ago. A year later we found out that he actually had had a daughter with his ex-girlfriend that he never told my family about - from what we've been able to piece together, due to shame of having a child outside marriage particularly when he was terminally ill and wouldn't be able to see her grow up. After he died, from what we've been able to tell, she moved somewhere up North (not sure exactly which county) with her new boyfriend and my cousin.

My grandmother is very ill and probably only has a few years left and would really like to at least meet her granddaughter. We also believe that the ex-girlfriend does not have full knowledge of the extent of my uncle's medical problems and believe it important to at least pass this on to my cousin, even if she's not interested in having any sort of relationship with any of us.

We don't know the daughter's name and we don't know the ex-girlfriend's name. All we know is that she is approximately a month or two older than I am (23). I know it's not a lot to go on but is there ANY way we might be able to find her with just my uncle's information (we DO believe he was at least on the birth cert) and and approximate date of birth? I know it's probably a long shot but I thought I may as well ask.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm not sure where you're based but if you're in Dublin you can go to the General Register Office in Werburgh Street and search the birth indexes for the child.
    If you find the entry you are looking for you can then pay €4 for a copy of the entry in the birth register which will have the child's name, date and place of birth, and the parents names and address.
    The entries in the birth indexes contain the child's forename and surname, date of birth, the mothers maiden name, and the district where the birth was registered. The more of these details you have the easier your search will be.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ash3070

Hermy wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you're based but if you're in Dublin you can go to the General Register Office in Werburgh Street and search the birth indexes for the child.
    If you find the entry you are looking for you can then pay €4 for a copy of the entry in the birth register which will have the child's name, date and place of birth, and the parents names and address.
    The entries in the birth indexes contain the child's forename and surname, date of birth, the mothers maiden name, and the district where the birth was registered. The more of these details you have the easier your search will be.

Thank you. I'm not actually in Dublin but it's certainly well worth a trip up!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Do you know where the baby was born? Births are filed by registration district and name/year.

The indexes are in alphabetical order, and she'll probably be listed under her mother's name. 1995 is the last year that is available on open access in Werburgh St.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement