Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional clean end of tenancy

Options
  • 11-02-2017 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I took over the lease of my apt last year but never signed a lease agreement. The landlord now wants to deduct €200 from my deposit for a professional clean despite me cleaning the property throughout properly. Can they do this? Will I have a leg to stand on if I bring a complaint to the PRTB?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I took over the lease of my apt last year but never signed a lease agreement. The landlord now wants to deduct €200 from my deposit for a professional clean despite me cleaning the property throughout properly. Can they do this? Will I have a leg to stand on if I bring a complaint to the PRTB?

No, they can't, but many of them will try to. It's a popular scam landlords pull. A security deposit is collateral in case of damage to the property or unpaid rent, and could only be used for cleaning if you left significant mess that required an expensive clean up. A cleaning service wouldn't even charge that much for one flat, it's ridiculous.

Dispute this with the landlord and ask will he/she provide you with a copy of the receipt from the cleaning service showing a bill for 200.00? Ask why your cleaning job wasn't sufficient and offer to rectify it. Advise him you plan on taking this to the PRTB. You'll want to take photographs of the apartment now showing it as been cleaned by you. Then open a dispute with the PRTB online for illegal deposit retention, costs 15.00.

You'll have to be persistent, they assume you'll roll over and take the hit. Then they pocket the cash and rent it out the same way you left it. Unless you kick up a fuss and make it more hassle than it's worth for them.

Do you have proof of rent being paid and you being resident there, since you don't have a lease? You'll need this as well.

Advertisement