Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: Game Changers - Mamanuca Islands (US)-[**SPOILERS**]

Options
  • 11-02-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Survivor: Game Changers - Mamanuca Islands (US)-[**SPOILERS**]

250px-Survivor34Logo.jpg

Season 34 of the greatest show in town CBS Survivor is due to premiere on Wednesday 8th March 2017 8/7c,8 PM Eastern Time/7 PM Central Time with a 2 hour episode,featuring 20 returning castaways who were considered to be "game changers in their respective seasons.The premiere will be the 500th episode of Survivor!

This is the third time Survivor has been shot in Fiji and the fourth season to feature an entire cast of returnee players.

To entice players to use Hidden Immunity Idols further,this season will feature more opportunities where these idols can be found,representing a change from previous seasons.Host Jeff Probst said that with their scarcity in past seasons,these idols were typically held and never played.Hence they wanted to encourage their use the idols more often as to shake up gameplay strategy.

Chrome link to the cast.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/photos/1007303/survivor-season-34-meet-the-cast-of-game-changers/

It truly is an all star cast,the in my opinion grossly over rated two time winner Sandra Diaz Twine is going for a three in a row.Tony Vlachos,a seriously great player is back to try and secure another win."JT",Malcolm Freburg,Andrea Boehlke,Cirie Fields,Caleb Reynolds,Zeke Smith,Ciera Eastin,Tai Trang,Brad Culpepper,Troy "Troyzan" Robertson,Jeff Varner and Aubry Bracco are amongst the other favourites returning.

However I'm rooting for the great Oscar "Ozzy" Lusth to finally become the sole survivor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd like to see Sandra win it but there's zero chance she does.

Looking forward to it.

My outside shot is Andrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I must be one of the only people who doesn't like Ozzy. I think he was fine in his first season, but every other time he's just come across as a massive dick.

Just from glancing at the cast I'll be rooting for Ciera, Andrea, Zeke or Tony to win, but in fairness it's a fairly solid group and I could see most of them potentially sitting there at the final 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ozzy hasnt a hope, its like Rupert getting however many chances from the producers, good player but nobody will let him get to the end.

4 more weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thargor wrote: »
    Ozzy hasnt a hope, its like Rupert getting however many chances from the producers, good player but nobody will let him get to the end.

4 more weeks :D

Spoilsport!:p

Of course I know you're probably right as he's not perfected the necessary social/strategic side of the game.Boston Rob finally got his day in the sun after his fourth outing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Would've preferred another newbie season, beggars can't be choosers, Sandra to somehow win again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Really looking forward to this season!

Hoping to fly over for the finale/re-union so I am trying to get in touch with all of the contestants to try and plant my name in their head lol (and to find out what date the finale will actually be on!!).

So far Caleb, Aubry and Sarah have responded to me :) Oh and Caleb let something slip which I don't think he was meant to lol

and boom response from Debbie who said

"Hi Alan - wow Ireland! I didn't know survivor was on in Ireland. I do not know the reunion date yet but when I do I'll tell you ASAP !"

Be cool hearing from all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

I would love another Team TV win, but I think JT is really well placed in this season. 

@Kingtut, I thought the finale was a ticketed event ?

ManofStraw wrote: »

@Kingtut, I thought the finale was a ticketed event ?

It is but there are a few different ways of getting tickets, one is with seat fillers (kind of a lottery) and another is through the cast (which is why I'm trying to get my name in their heads and have them be like - holy **** someone is flying from Ireland let them in lol).

Even without a ticket I want to go and meet them in the lobby (just not willing to book a flight until I have the finale date)

kingtut wrote: »
    It is but there are a few different ways of getting tickets, one is with seat fillers (kind of a lottery) and another is through the cast (which is why I'm trying to get my name in their heads and have them be like - holy **** someone is flying from Ireland let them in lol).

Even without a ticket I want to go and meet them in the lobby (just not willing to book a flight until I have the finale date)

If you do manage to get an invite to the finale, you should message Probst in advance and tell him you're travelling in from Ireland, how much memorabilia you've bought over the years, and how you played the ORG's - if he knew all that you could be one of the people he comes down to talk to briefly in the crowd during the finale/reunion that he's done in recent seasons, because that would be awesome!

• Advertisement

Although you'd have to pretend that you have no idea who who quarter of the cast were as you'd only just have watched Second Chances on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Daggermouth

If you do manage to get an invite to the finale, you should message Probst in advance and tell him you're travelling in from Ireland, how much memorabilia you've bought over the years, and how you played the ORG's - if he knew all that you could be one of the people he comes down to talk to briefly in the crowd during the finale/reunion that he's done in recent seasons, because that would be awesome!

God. I hate when Probst does that. I don't give a **** what the 8 year old random girl in the audience has to say about Ozzy being good at holding his breath, or Boston Rob's new book.

That would be awesome however highly unlikely to happen! I'm going to keep trying to get a hold of contestants in the hope that they remember me and who knows maybe get a ticket!!

From facebook I can see that Sandra read my message but she didn't reply. Hope she is first boot :mad::mad:
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    Although you'd have to pretend that you have no idea who who quarter of the cast were as you'd only just have watched Second Chances on TG4.

:D

kingtut wrote: »
    From facebook I can see that Sandra read my message but she didn't reply. Hope she is first boot :mad::mad:

lol. I hate replying to Facebook messages and What's App and all that nonsense though, so I kinda feel her pain. Sometimes I read messages from people on facebook that seem pretty time sensitive (from people who have my phone number I might add) and I just think, "really you went with Facebook to contact me out of all the options? You'd have gotten a quicker response sending a carrier pigeon..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Really glad that Caleb got another shot, really liked him in BB US and for the short time he lasted in Survivor. Also like Malcolm.
    We watched the seasons in reverse order so thought Ozzy was great in the one where he basically spent the whole time on Redemption. The realised he was an arrogant ass! Could watch him swim all day though. Don't see how some of them are Game Changers though, look more like filler really.

At least half are not game changers in the slightest and Sierra was not meant to be part of the original cast.

In fact it was meant to be Winners vs Jury vs Pre-Jury but they couldn't get enough Winners to sign up.

I hadn't heard about that but it makes sense.

Did Natalie Anderson pull out last minute?

Jeff's case for how some of them are game changers are embarrassing. The theme is simply ****e.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I hadn't heard about that but it makes sense.

Did Natalie Anderson pull out last minute?

Jeff's case for how some of them are game changers are embarrassing. The theme is simply ****e.

Yes she pulled out last minute and as a result it was a last minute call to Sierra to get her on the show.

I don't understand how someone like Caleb is a game changer, think Jeff said it's because he was willing to risk his life to win.... ummm that's nonsense, everyone played hard but not everyone collapsed and had to be medivaced.

What about the guy who never even went to Tribal Council? “Caleb? That one baffles me,” says the host. “How would you ever not say he’s a game changer? He was willing to risk dying to win. That’s a game changer. So if you’re going to live in a tunnel, like I know a lot of people who are tweeting me right now saying ‘You are a douche,’ well, then yeah, you’re right and I’m wrong again. But if you just take off the blinders that are holding you back in life, and they are, you could be so much more — I think you’ll see that all of these people have their own story.”

Probst went on to define what makes a Game Changer in his eyes. “This is about people who might have made a big bold move like Tony that says ‘Hey, everybody it was me,’ people who make really subtle moves like a Varner or maybe a Sandra, people who made moves that worked, or people who made moves that were a disaster. But it’s like Ciera Eastin said: ‘You’ve got to make moves in this game.’ And part of this is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy now. They are making moves and I think you’re going to see moves made in this game.”
    Such nonsense and a little off putting if I'm honest. Blinders holding me back in life? G'way outta that Jeff! You're talking out of your hole.

I really like the cast. Just call it something else. How about Survivor - MAMANUCA ISLANDS?

The "gimmicks" have been a tired trope, and it's usually easiest to ignore them. To be fair Fans vs Favourites, Heroes vs Villains, Blood vs Water, and to a lesser extent Gen X vs Millenials were themes that worked well, but some of the other themes are just meh. If they want to have a real "Game Changers" season you need the likes of Russell Hantz, Jonny Fairplay, Rob Cesternino, Parvati Shallow, John Cochran, Tyson Apostol, and other such actual Game Changing players...

To be fair to Mamanuca Islands, I would group Ciera Eastin and Tony Vlachos in with the people I've mentioned above, and I'll also give Andrea Boehlke, Cirie Fields, Malcolm Freberg, Zeke Smith a lot of credit there as well (they got good Survivor CV's). Even though I can't really stand him, I can even consider Ozzy a game changer, but most of the rest of the cast for the season, not so much - some good likeable players for sure, but not Game Changers by any means, so it's easier to just not think about the "Game Changers" title too much once the season begins and just hope it's a good season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBH I think they threw the name gamechangers out there on a whim,nothing too deep in season title.

Conversation went something along the line... Well we've tended recently to put some context in season title relating to the player type,tribe type etc... Who cares if it's particularly accurate or not.

Anyway I am really like the lineup for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

Are you guys watching this online or on scheduled tv?

This time next week we'll have new Survivor! My weekends are complete again.

I hope we get a season of all complete newbies again though, how else are you supposed to find the next Russel type players?

So it looks like they'll be doing 4 consecutive seasons on the Mamunca Islands in Fiji including Millennials vs Gen X so that explains the need for a theme.

vwMin.gif

*goes to watch Jeff's cast assessment and the opening 7 minutes of tonight's episode*

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The opening episode was nothing to write home about really.

Seriously thought why wouldn't you vote the two time winner out first now that would be a game changer.

Didn't realise it was a double episode until they went back to the beach after the first vote.

Tony going out like that feels really anti climactic and the edit felt like it was solely trying to create suspense as opposed to telling us what actually happened. I really dislike these kind of episodes.

Kind of happy to see Ciera gone, I've grown a little tired of her at this stage.

My opinion on episode 1:
    Not exactly the most exciting opening to a season!! Thought there would be a lot more drama. Not overly surprised that Ciera went first or that Tony went second. What on earth was he thinking by running off to find an idol within the first few mins??

I reckon Sandra will stay around for a while (she is not a challenge threat although if she makes the merge she could end up going all the way!! they are stupid if they don't get rid of her pre-merge!)

• Advertisement

Probably my 2 favourites out first, which sucks, but I didn't really expect them to last too long.

For some reason until midway through the episode I was confusing Sierra with someone completely different from an entirely different season, but she was on that Blue Collar Tribe in the season with that asshat Rodney, right? Same season Hali is from? And if I'm not mistaken Sierra was a somewhat decent player in that season?

Would love to see Jeff Varner go really far into this game - he's such a great character. Also Andrea, because she's not only a competent and likeable player, but also candy of the eye variety...

Advertisement