Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Framer lost pictures and i now never open

Options
  • 11-02-2017 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Probably a long shot but maybe some one can help me with where to turn to next.

Husband had some pictures (one of a kind drawn by an artist) and he wanted to get them framed. There was a place down the road so he left them in there. The man told him to come back in two weeks. When he returned, the man told him that he couldn't find them but to leave his number and when he found them he would call him. We weren't in any rush so left it a month.This time I went in, same thing, can't find them and will look for them and call. Husband went a third time and again they weren't to be found.

It was coming up to xmas so we were busy and didn't take it any further, just hoped they would turn up. I haven't seen the shop open since xmas.

Is there anything that can be done? We're totally sickened that this happened and we told him that we just want the pictures back and don't care if they are framed or whatever.

I've kind of lost all hope but maybe some one here has a suggestion on how we could pursue this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Find out his forwarding address and contact him again.
    Maybe he is unwell or has some family crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would try popping a note in he door of the shop. If there are shops etc nearby maybe ask if he is ill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm reminded of this story from the UK over the weekend on a similar scenario.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/wedding-dress-150-years-old-dry-cleaner-found-edinburgh-a7575706.html

It is very difficult to enforce legal rights and judgements against small businesses like this, so keep your legal options as a very last resort. It is probably just down to making reasonable contacts with this guy, and making sure that your stuff isn't sitting at the back of his shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

It seems like he might have retired. But you think he would have had the decency to contact the people who had stuff with him.

I think the next step is going to try to get in contact with him. The cro has no address for him listed.

That girl got her dress back so maybe there is hope but unfortunately,I think we might be out of luck. Absolutely sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Find out who owns the premises and explain your situation maybe they can help.

• Advertisement

Miaireland wrote: »
    I would try popping a note in he door of the shop. If there are shops etc nearby maybe ask if he is ill etc.

Yeah, I might try some of the older shops on the street to see if anybody can get in touch with him. I think he might have retired but I'm so annoyed that he couldn't just ring us when he has our stuff there.

Car99 wrote: »
    Find out who owns the premises and explain your situation maybe they can help.

From my own sleuthing, it seems like he owns the building himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's a good sign.
    I understand that you are annoyed but try not to let it show when you call in to the other shops.
    All you need is his home address and you will be able to call and talk to him.
    Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Did you get a dated receipt when you handed-in the paintings for framing?

cnoc wrote: »
    Did you get a dated receipt when you handed-in the paintings for framing?

It was my husband who left them in. He didn't get a receipt because one wasn't offered. The framer was an older gentleman and who really thinks that some one is going to run off with one of a kind items or something! Not the best idea to trust people any more but honestly i don't think it would make much difference. The items seem to have been lost even before the business was closed down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement