Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lights in Kilcock

Options
  • 11-02-2017 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

These are proving a total disaster. Constant tailbacks at all times of day. I really hope they do something to rectify the current situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 t305nqe

I would agree with you, absolute disaster...

Kildare County Council has now created a problem when none existed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭bemak

Came on here to start a thread for this very reason. Who in their right mind though these lights were a good idea!? Ive never seen traffic through the village so bad. When coming from maynooth, they've gotten rid of the soft turn left over the bridge as well in favour of a 90 degree one making it more difficult to take.

Bear in mind as well that when you add up all the current planning applications for housing in the area there could be an additional 1000 houses which is going to put serious pressure on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

t305nqe wrote: »
    Kildare County Council has now created a problem when none existed in the first place.

I think that's their moto when it comes to traffic lights alright! The same thing happened in Celbridge when they tried it at the bridge here. Absolute grid lock. They got switched off very quickly. Then sat idle for years and finally removed. A massive waste of money!

All I can suggest is get onto your local councillors about it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Madness. Seeing facebook go nuts about it. Town only needs pedestrian crossing lights. Flow would be regulated perfectly by that.

The housing estate on the Maynooth Road has a ring road planned connecting to Summerhill road for long term.

Facebook page "our kilcock". You need to go into posts section to see visitor posts. Bit of a meltdown in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Frank O'Rourke T.D. - North KildareLike Page
    Yesterday at 21:17 ·
    Kilcock Traffic Lights -- Update

Further update on 14/2/'17 from Frank O'Rourke T.D. - Kildare North

Hello All, I have been in constant contact with the transport department of the council regarding the new traffic lights which were installed in recent days in Kilcock. It was confirmed to me today that the sensors are now installed and will be commissioned tomorrow. These sensors once commissioned will feed the information into the new smart system which will then result with improving traffic movement in Kilcock and reducing the current delays. I have been assured by the engineer that the MOVA operating system will control the sequencing of the lights based on traffic flows, volumes and times. The council have committed to me again that they will continue to monitor the situation in Kilcock on a continuous basis until the new system is operating effectively and efficiently for all. I will continue to liaise with the council on your behalf, rgds Frank O'Rourke T.D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

They said exactly the same thing when they issued traffic lights at the train station in Kildare. Now almost ten years later they're still there and still as bad as the day they were put in. Gross ineptitude and in fact dangerous but that deserves a separate thread.

Certainly a serious waste of more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We're constantly being "assured" that light timings and flow will improve after time. They never do. Yet more nonsense from KCC on roads issues - you get used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

Seemed better this morning, school run was quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

megapixel wrote: »

Hello All, I have been in constant contact with the transport department of the council regarding the new traffic lights which were installed in recent days in Kilcock. It was confirmed to me today that the sensors are now installed and will be commissioned tomorrow. These sensors once commissioned will feed the information into the new smart system which will then result with improving traffic movement in Kilcock and reducing the current delays. I have been assured by the engineer that the MOVA operating system will control the sequencing of the lights based on traffic flows, volumes and times. The council have committed to me again that they will continue to monitor the situation in Kilcock on a continuous basis until the new system is operating effectively and efficiently for all. I will continue to liaise with the council on your behalf, rgds Frank O'Rourke T.D

Why is a TD getting involved? He shouldn't be wasting his time on council issues. 

Agree with the other sentiment. The lights are a backward step. There's a much bigger issue with tailbacks on the Trim road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

f@steddie wrote: »
    Why is a TD getting involved? He shouldn't be wasting his time on council issues.

It's because Frank is a traffic light expert. As in, he's an expert at creating problems and delays where none existed before by adding traffic lights where they're not needed. Just the chap to tackle the 'problem'!:pac:

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

f@steddie wrote: »

Almost all TDs have local offices and deal with local matters, that is how they get voted in to help with the running of the country. It's like having two jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

megapixel wrote: »

Mr. O'Rourke

I am not sure if what You state above has been implemented, but I was in Kilcock yesterday afternoon, and can only say what an unmitigated disaster these lights are. It took me the guts of 30 minutes to get through the Village.

If something is not broken, why 'fix' it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NellyJelly

Absolute nightmare! WTF were they thinking? This bloody country!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

NellyJelly wrote: »

I blame the council, not the country. They did exactly the same thing in Kildare Town years ago and to this day they're still a dangerous mess.

Kildare County Council will just ignore you as they've done many times before. Arrogance and incompetence reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

NellyJelly wrote: »

Agree about Your assessment of the decision to put up these lights. I don't think we can blame the country. It's the system of paying massive amounts of money for incompetent people to make these decisions, and waste tax payers money.

I was speaking to a person from Kilcock today and they told me the traffic does be queued down over the bridge on the Dunshaughlin Road in the afternoons.

Surely there must be accountability for the crazy decisions made in KCC.

I'd say it's more likely some local will take action eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Which Muppet TD\Councillor came up with this idea. All that was need was a set of pedestrian lights

Advertisement