Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a set of lights suitable for night time cycling on backroads....

Options
  • 11-02-2017 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Was looking at lezyne micro or macro drive?
    Would those be good enough (450/800 lumen respectively?
    Any other options worth considering?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

I bought a cat-eye volt 500 recently and took it up the mountains the other night. more than enough power to light the road ahead. some of these lights have crazy power but i feel the 500 was plenty for night-time road biking. not a huge amount of burn-time at high power (about an hour) but i don't think i even used full beam for more than 30 minutes cumulatively. blinking or low beam depending on light conditions otherwise. cateye volt 500 was about 55 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

terrydel wrote: »
    Was looking at lezyne micro or macro drive?
    Would those be good enough (450/800 lumen respectively?
    Any other options worth considering?
    Cheers.

Trelock LS 950. Bought one two years ago and it's fantastic. As good as there is I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sounds like you need a Front Light For Dark Country Road Commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....Any other options worth considering?...
    Bright lights have a quick burn time so worth considering one where the rechargable battery can be removed and replaced with a freshly charged one. This will allow you to continue riding for longer periods. (Many USB lights do not have removable batteries).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

Just picked up a Madison electron 650, double lamp, option to have 2 on giving 650 lumen, or one on giving 325 lumen with a third option of one on and one flashing. Was reduced from €90 to €45 in LBS in Gorey. Had purchased a 200 lumen for €35 which was faulty, only cost me €10 to trade up on the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

mosstin wrote: »
    Trelock LS 950. Bought one two years ago and it's fantastic. As good as there is I think.

Really good light, brilliant burn time.

The optics on most lights are poor/inefficient when compared with trelock/philips saferide/b&m.

These lights aren't high powered but use the power they have really well. A commuter would get away with charging a trelock 950 once a week.

I think the Supernova dynamo lamp has 210 lumens yet would out perform most 500 lumen lights.

Rose/bike discount/bike 24 would be a good place to look.

As an aside the demands in dark country roads isn't that high, the absence of light pollution means your eye adapts really well. (As long as you haven't some stupid 2000 lumen mtb light doing more harm than good with reflected light).

Heavy oncoming traffic in rural areas is probably trickiest environment for bike lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Exposure Strada or some proper german dynamo lights.

I have an ancient Exposure Race Maxx (480lumen) that's fine for pitch black countryside commuting at avre speed of 25km. Also powers a Redeye rear light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As ford2600 says the power output is all too often secondary to the pattern of light produced. I've had (far) brighter commute lights but my current Phillips dynamo-powered light is the best front light I've had by far, it lights the road well and is great for being seen by too.

It has changed the way that I think about lights, I used to look at power output first when evaluating lights. Which I now l realise was pointless, after all a laser pointer is incredibly (and dangerously) bright but you wouldn't want it on your bike.

And flashing and bright front lights are a terrible combination. Rather than making you more visible they tend to blind oncoming traffic, which is entirely counterproductive. Same goes for very bright and flashing rear lights, where the flash pattern of the light also plays a big part in whether it induces awareness of your existence or a need to effectively ignore it and the cyclist attached to it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    Sounds like you need a Front Light For Dark Country Road Commute.
    Think I found one or two....;)

Well I went and got the Trelock ls950 on the strength of the recommendations here. I also got the ls720 reego for the back as the set offered a bit better value.
    Here are my thoughts. Its very expensive, with postage it came to just over 100 euro. At that price I expected them to be very good. Ubfortunately the rear light lasted 1 sodding use, following that I charged it overnight and it has since stopped working altogether. Very very disappointing. Its cheap in comparison to the front light, which makes up over 70 euro of the cost, but nonetheless these German brands trade on their build quality and engineering expertise, and a Chinese rear light would probably have lasted longer. I have since bought an Infini sword in cyclesuperstore which seems much better, and the price matched online retailers. Another issue wih the Trelock (both front and back) is the clip for attaching it to the bike. It uses a plastic screw to hold it in place once youve fully pulled the cable-tie style strap. This screw is kinder egg toy in quality, and the head on both the front and rear one has sheared after fitting them, to such a degree that I had to just cut the rear one off with a knife when fitting the Infini light in its place. The front will no doubt be the same, as the head is sheared on that too after the first fitment. Again, when you trade on buld quality, this is ridiculous imho. As for the front light itself, it is good, the battery life excellent and having the level indicator helps with the anxiety of what juice you have left. The 5 level beam adjustment is good, I like the light coming from it as its not some overpowered blinding mess, but looks well designed and gives good field of vision in front and to the sides. It could be a little stronger possibly but its adequate. A flash mode would be nice too. Overlall then, Im happy with the front light itself, tho the attachment clip is a joke, and the rear light was a big disappointment in every way and a complete waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Warranty on the rear?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I got a dynamo hub and b+m light last month. Expensive outlay, but best light I've ever used and i enjoy cycling in the dark now

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I used the Lezyne Macro 350L http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-macro-drive-front-light-350l/rp-prod86383 for my night-time commute.

Its 300 lumen which I find grand. 500 lumen would be nicer, but I dont see the need for any higher. I use a Knog blinder on the back. Both front and back are rechargeable.

One important thing to know is that as these batteries arent replaceable, you should keep a spare light in your bag for emergencies when you forgot to charge your light. I use a small knog light for the front when such an occasion happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I used the Lezyne Macro 350L http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-macro-drive-front-light-350l/rp-prod86383 for my night-time commute.

Its 300 lumen which I find grand. 500 lumen would be nicer, but I dont see the need for any higher. I use a Knog blinder on the back. Both front and back are rechargeable.

One important thing to know is that as these batteries arent replaceable, you should keep a spare light in your bag for emergencies when you forgot to charge your light. I use a small knog light for the front when such an occasion happens.

If you leave yours charged in their box, do you know if they're dead or alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

I purchased the Electron F-650 when it was on special and it's been great for any early morning or late night winter spins. Has been through some really heavy showers without issue. The mount is pretty solid and no real issues taking it on/off. I use a Lezyne strip drive on the rear and it's served me well for 2 years now. Both are USB rechargeable so I top up the charge every few days in the office via my work computer.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Warranty on the rear?

Emailed trelock a week ago, still not heard back. The online shop I bought from (4denike) replied, but the light is only worth about 20 so returning it would be at my expense (German internet law for anything under 40), so its either return front and back or pay for postage myself. Not worth the hassle really, so chalk it off to experience.
    As I said, front light is good, apart from the attachment clip, rear light rubbish.

py wrote: »
    I purchased the Electron F-650 when it was on special and it's been great for any early morning or late night winter spins. Has been through some really heavy showers without issue. The mount is pretty solid and no real issues taking it on/off. I use a Lezyne strip drive on the rear and it's served me well for 2 years now. Both are USB rechargeable so I top up the charge every few days in the office via my work computer.

Looks like Johnnie Five from Short Circuit!
    NEDwYenVc3lJGM_1_1.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Looks like Johnnie Five from Short Circuit!
    :D

It's not the prettiest but it lights up the road really well. Have used it rolling down country lanes without any street lights and it's fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless you really care about how the mount looks theres a much better option.

CREE based torch: €5. 18650 batteries: free from any old laptop battery. Mount €1. Charger: €8.

Output? Similar to a single cars headlight. Range? 120m ish (you can see the street signs blink).

sku_162491_1.jpg

Feel naked without em.

ED E wrote: »

CREE based torch: €5. 18650 batteries: free from any old laptop battery. Mount €1. Charger: €8.

Output? Similar to a single cars headlight. Range? 120m ish (you can see the street signs blink).
    Feel naked without em.

How is it re the spread of the beam. Those crees can be blinding to other road users if they are a direct beam.
    Did not know that about the old laptop batteries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

py wrote: »

Picked up one of these myself and happy with it so far, got it for approx €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

I use a flashlight too, half the price of dedicated bike lights, more versatile and durable. mine is waterproof. not just splash proof and uses 18560 batteries of which I always have at least one fully charged as a spare, most times more as I vape :). You do need a special charger for them but I had one already and at work I can charge them in my mod over USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Rokta wrote: »
    I use a flashlight too, half the price of dedicated bike lights, more versatile and durable. mine is waterproof. not just splash proof and uses 18560 batteries

That's a lot of batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rokta wrote: »
    I use a flashlight too, half the price of dedicated bike lights, more versatile and durable. mine is waterproof. not just splash proof and uses 18560 batteries of which I always have at least one fully charged as a spare, most times more as I vape :). You do need a special charger for them but I had one already and at work I can charge them in my mod over USB.

I used 18650 torches a few years ago and they were invariably problematic and not that cheap. Maybe the latest ones are better, they're certainly cheaper - I picked up a 200 lumens Cree one in Woodies for less than €20 yesterday, and that place has enormous margins.

The main problems I had were with poor focusing (so had to point the beam down a lot, negating the point of a decent light) and potholes causing batteries to bounce around which then caused the torch to switch to strobe. So I'd always go with a torch that has a dedicated mode switch, e.g. a rotating bezel, and choose one with a narrow ("throwy") beam.

ED E reports 120m distance. Obviously that's only going to work with the beam pointing horizontally, which is not possible with oncoming traffic, so the other issue is having a mount that allows the light to be rotated up and down while riding depending on conditions.

Or just buy a proper bike light with a cut-off lens. :)

I use a Nitecore flashlight that has a dedicated mode button switch with 3 intensity modes + strobe. They do not come that cheap but are solid, around the 40 to 50 mark from the bay.

I do not use the strobe mode, that is doing more harm than good on an 800 lumen light :), besides I despise this front disco flashers, yes you are seen, but in return some of them are so strong that oncoming traffic can't see anything else and this happened to me.

ED E wrote: »

sku_162491_1.jpg

Feel naked without em.

I have this one got it on aliexpress.

It's a decent light but not really suitable for unlit roads imo. Replaced it with a lezyne 800xl which gives out much more light. Still use the Cree one as a backup.

Lumen wrote: »

ED E reports 120m distance. Obviously that's only going to work with the beam pointing horizontally, which is not possible with oncoming traffic, so the other issue is having a mount that allows the light to be rotated up and down while riding depending on conditions.

Or just buy a proper bike light with a cut-off lens. :)

I would second your suggestion re a proper light. It so irresponsible and discourteous on other road users to use a light that is not fit or designed for use on public roads. That they are cheap or you can get batteries from old laptops or vaping things does not mean they make great bike lights.

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I would second your suggestion re a proper light. It so irresponsible and discourteous on other road users to use a light that is not fit or designed for use on public roads. That they are cheap or you can get batteries from old laptops or vaping things does not mean they make great bike lights.

Well, I agree, you have to find one that works for you but does not endanger other people, these things are there so you are seen and can see. The two extremes, no lights or the total over the top 3000 lumen football field illumination devices in strobe mode on a handlebar that are actually sold as dedicated bicycle lights albeit more for nightly off-road use.

In the end you have to find a solution that is reasonable, I found mine :)

Advertisement