Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a set of lights suitable for night time cycling on backroads....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Rokta wrote: »
    Well, I agree, you have to find one that works for you but does not endanger other people, these things are there so you are seen and can see. The two extremes, no lights or the total over the top 3000 lumen football field illumination devices in strobe mode on a handlebar that are actually sold as dedicated bicycle lights albeit more for nightly off-road use.

In the end you have to find a solution that is reasonable, I found mine :)

Grand so! But I don't see the reasonableness in using anything with a powerful non diffused beam on the road. (If yours is diffused /has a wide then you have indeed)

Said as a cyclist that understands the importance of good lights on dark roads and as a motorist that has encountered lots of cyclists using lights that are dangerous to other road users.

Good bike lights are no longer expensive and using something else instead does not make sense. Of course, if the law was clearer on a min and max output from cycle lights, it would help all road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

^
    Time that we adopt a similar stance as Germany indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

T-Maxx wrote: »
    ^
    Time that we adopt a similar stance as Germany indeed.

Indeed. The benchmark (Switzerland too)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Funny enough I am German :)

If you refer to the German 10 Lux regulation, that is the minimum (!) output at 10 meters a light has to achieve, so if it has a 20% angle beam you are talking about 100 lumens. The only restriction is that 3.4 degrees above the brightest spot the output cannot be higher than 2 lux, so actually your bike light should be rather focused and not to wide in order to not blind oncoming traffic. There is probably some regulation at what angle that light has to be mounted on the bike.

So according to German regulations diffused light is not acceptable unless it adheres to the above. Strobe lighting is also a no go.

However riding with a laser beam as a light is silly too, and mine is not as I prefer to see in front of the road to avoid potholes, a tiny over-illuminated spot on the road does not help.

My rear light though is not street legal in Germany, probably due to the flashing mode, I have to check again on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Weepsie wrote: »
    I got a dynamo hub and b+m light last month. Expensive outlay, but best light I've ever used and i enjoy cycling in the dark now

I am looking at ordering new front wheel with Son hub dynamo for a new build for light touring and general use. What B+M light did you purchase?

I am looking at Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ2 LUXOS U. It gives output at 90 lumens which I assume is good enough to light up a dark road. Also usb charging which is something else I was keen on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I got this B + M Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium T (Not a catchy name)

I also got this USB charger which I have yet to use. It's separate and obviously far less discrete but I figured if there was a failure, I could send it back and still have my light. https://www.rosebikes.com/article/b--m-usb-werk-power-supply-and-charger/aid:639422

I've never used it so far, but hoping to next week on a long cycle. I'll test it over the weekend anyway.

The light is great. It was recommended by a few others. Only issue was the mount and my canti brakes so I had to buy a separate mount. It's not mounted quite as well placed as I'd want, but it's brilliant nonetheless. I'd have charged my Magicshine MJ900 a dozen + times by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Weepsie wrote: »
    I got this B + M Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium T (Not a catchy name)

I also got this USB charger which I have yet to use. It's separate and obviously far less discrete but I figured if there was a failure, I could send it back and still have my light. https://www.rosebikes.com/article/b--m-usb-werk-power-supply-and-charger/aid:639422

I've never used it so far, but hoping to next week on a long cycle. I'll test it over the weekend anyway.

The light is great. It was recommended by a few others. Only issue was the mount and my canti brakes so I had to buy a separate mount. It's not mounted quite as well placed as I'd want, but it's brilliant nonetheless. I'd have charged my Magicshine MJ900 a dozen + times by now.

Thanks.

Price of your light and charger is roughly same as light with inbuilt usb port but I take your point about a failure.

I wont make any decisions until I see how you get on. Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I got a new set up this year SP8 dynamo Supernova E3 light front and their rear light also. Really happy with set up no problem cycling at night and is basically set up and forget it.

I pulled into my apartment block this eve and noticed my Dynamo light was not on. Checked the wiring, seemed fine, spinned the wheel and it seemed to drag more than it should have. Not sure if the dynamo or light has something wrong with it and not sure whom I would have look at it.

Update: seems to be an issue with the usb charger. Took that out of the circuit completely and lights work as normal.

Hoping i just need to strip the wires better and have a better connection but the light is more important to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mosstin wrote: »
    Trelock LS 950. Bought one two years ago and it's fantastic. As good as there is I think.
    terrydel wrote: »
    Well I went and got the Trelock ls950 on the strength of the recommendations here....

..... As for the front light itself, it is good, the battery life excellent and having the level indicator helps with the anxiety of what juice you have left. The 5 level beam adjustment is good, I like the light coming from it as its not some overpowered blinding mess, but looks well designed and gives good field of vision in front and to the sides. It could be a little stronger possibly but its adequate....
    I got a Trelock LS950 myself yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. I'm a bit disappointed with the light output even set at the max of 70 lux. It immediately reminded me of the light from the old bottle dynamos that we used years ago. (It was dark and drizzly this morning so perhaps that made it seem duller than normal.) It's also bulkier than I expected and I had to re-align the Garmin out front mount to fit both of them.

Love the battery life and the visible battery level indicator though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I got a Trelock LS950 myself yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. I'm a bit disappointed with the light output even set at the max of 70 lux. It immediately reminded me of the light from the old bottle dynamos that we used years ago. (It was dark and drizzly this morning so perhaps that made it seem duller than normal.) It's also bulkier than I expected and I had to re-align the Garmin out front mount to fit both of them.

How do you find the clamp that attaches it to the bars? I think its awful, so cheap for such a expensive light. The plastic screw is dreadful, the head goes very easily. I cant remove mine with cutting it off now. And it moves constantly on bumpy roads, which is 80% of my cycling. Always having to pull it back up. I like the light, its not super strong but its enough imho. The battery life is indeed great, we spend half our life charging things these days so nice to have something that doesnt require constant charging.

How do you find the clamp that attaches it to the bars? I think its awful, so cheap for such a expensive light. The plastic screw is dreadful, the head goes very easily. I cant remove mine with cutting it off now. And it moves constantly on bumpy roads, which is 80% of my cycling....
    Are you sure you're using it correctly? It seems robust to me and there was no movement. Once you get the correct position, you need to close the lower clamp to secure it. The screw is only for the directional turn mount. I just tightened it slightly to prevent the light from turning. It has nothing to do with the bar clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

I've recently bought a jobsworth Mirzam front light. I bought mine in the planet x store in Athlone and they also have them on the Planet X website. 500 lumens, great battery life and only 30€. Very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Comma

terrydel wrote:
    How do you find the clamp that attaches it to the bars? I think its awful, so cheap for such a expensive light. The plastic screw is dreadful, the head goes very easily. I cant remove mine with cutting it off now. And it moves constantly on bumpy roads, which is 80% of my cycling. Always having to pull it back up. I like the light, its not super strong but its enough imho. The battery life is indeed great, we spend half our life charging things these days so nice to have something that doesnt require constant charging.

Are you sure you're using it correctly? It seems robust to me and there was no movement. Once you get the correct position, you need to close the lower clamp to secure it. The screw is only for the directional turn mount. I just tightened it slightly to prevent the light from turning. It has nothing to do with the bar clamp.

Do you both have different brackets? The plastic screw type came with mine last year and is pretty useless. It might be ok if you put it on correctly and never move it again. The plastic screw turns to mush with any pressure. I cut it off in the end.

I ended up buying the ZL10 variotex bracket which really should be supplied with the light. I've found it good and once on tight it won't stir.
    I have no experience of other lights but the Trelock 950, I think, is pretty good and the display of battery time left is reassuring.

Comma wrote: »
    Do you both have different brackets? The plastic screw type came with mine last year and is pretty useless.....
    Yes we must have different brackets Comma. The one that came with my light looks like this one:

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/trelock-zl-760-replacement-bracket--no-tools-required--/aid:2669168

The only screw is on top and is made of metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

That looks a decent light - in the market for a new one myself as one of mine has just about given up. Does the lamp easily detatch from the mount? I need something that's removeable with as little faff as possible

That looks a decent light - in the market for a new one myself as one of mine has just about given up. Does the lamp easily detatch from the mount? I need something that's removeable with as little faff as possible
    Yes, it detaches in a split second and reattaches with a reassuring chunky 'click'.

(It's also reduced at the moment on Rose bikes https://www.rosebikes.com/article/trelock-ls-950-ecopower-control-ion-headlight/aid:470889 ).

I spoke to soon on my Trelock LS950, I and the light got right soaking from the top of the Gap back home to Valleymount yesterday, and the light seems to have died as a result. It still fires up on the lcd when a usb is connected, but it seems to display weird number sequences ended with what appears to be a code of -2.
    I'll see if dries out over the day, otherwise its gone. If it comes back to life i'll get the bracket mentioned above :)

Yes we must have different brackets Comma. The one that came with my light looks like this one:

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/trelock-zl-760-replacement-bracket--no-tools-required--/aid:2669168

The only screw is on top and is made of metal.

It has a plastic screw that tightens the unit to the bar no? Thats the one I have, once you put it on the screw head dissolves and you cant undo it.

• Advertisement

Comma wrote: »
    Do you both have different brackets? The plastic screw type came with mine last year and is pretty useless. It might be ok if you put it on correctly and never move it again. The plastic screw turns to mush with any pressure. I cut it off in the end.

I ended up buying the ZL10 variotex bracket which really should be supplied with the light. I've found it good and once on tight it won't stir.
    I have no experience of other lights but the Trelock 950, I think, is pretty good and the display of battery time left is reassuring.

Any link to that zl10 variotex bracket online? Cant find it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

I also bought a Trelock 950 about a month ago, no complaints so far and the bracket seems pretty solid.  The directed beam is excellent and throws the light on the road where it's needed, not into drivers' eyes like off road or flashlight type lights. Very happy with it so far, great battery life and it has survived some heavy showers with no ill effects. The indicator showing the run time left is very handy too.
    Link to the bracket that came with mine: https://www.rosebikes.com/article/trelock-zl-760-replacement-bracket--no-tools-required--/aid:2669168

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Comma

Terrydel, try Bike24.de for Trelock ZL710. The link is not posting.

Do they all work with the ls950?...
    Says they are compatible with all Trelock USB charged lights.

Advertisement