Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car sharing with my dad - insurance?

Options
  • 11-02-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

My dad is retired and considering giving up his car. I work close enough to walk to work so he could have use of my car if he needed it. So I have a few questions:

1. Does him giving up his own policy and just being name driver on mine mean that if he decided to take out his own insurance again at some future point would he be starting off as if a brand new driver?
    2. Would it cost me much to add him as a named driver? My sister added him as a named driver on her policy and it reduced her policy but someone else told me that I could end up paying quite a lot to add him to mine.
    3. I would still be doing most of the driving (though I don't drive much to be fair) - is there a facility to add a named driver if we were both doing similar mileage t though or does it always have to be that the main driver drives X% more than the named driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

1. after 2 years his no claims bonus would be gone and he would get very high quotes if he went for his own policy.

2. adding a named driver can often bring down the price of insurance, so get a quote to see.

3. As long as you are using the car most, then there should be no issue having him as a named driver. The named driver should not be using the car more as that is called fronting and is now not allowed, But it is very difficult to prove anyhow and it really was designed to stop new young drivers, not older experienced ones so I wouldn't worry about it.

Advertisement