Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 118i / 120i?

• 11-02-2017 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I do about 25,000 km but have a diesel S40 currently. I am having a few issues with the diesel (EGR) so am thinking of getting a petrol car. BMW have a 3,500 contribution running at the moment on the 1 Series and I really want a hatch back. Is this contribution a good deal on the 1 Series?

Test drove a 1 Series this week and was really impressed but cannot decide on the 118i /120i. Given I hang onto cars for 10 years I am thinking the stronger engine in the 120i would be best but which one is more reliable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Agent_47 wrote: »
    I do about 25,000 km but have a diesel S40 currently. I am having a few issues with the diesel (EGR) so am thinking of getting a petrol car. BMW have a 3,500 contribution running at the moment on the 1 Series and I really want a hatch back. Is this contribution a good deal on the 1 Series?

Test drove a 1 Series this week and was really impressed but cannot decide on the 118i /120i. Given I hang onto cars for 10 years I am thinking the stronger engine in the 120i would be best but which one is more reliable?

Would you be happy to keep a 1 series for 10 yrs? If so, and you can afford it, go for the nicest spec of a car you can afford, best seats etc.

It will be worth nothing in 10 yrs no matter what you buy, I think the hybrids and plug ins will have taken over by then, I certainly expect to be driving one in next few years when they hit the used markets.

What price is the 118/120 these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not sure that a 1.5 turbo petrol won't be without its issues either long term. I assume that's why you're not looking at diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Thanks Colm, 118i auto + leather is 4 k cheaper than 120i with same spec. 118i sport with all the add ons comes in at 41K less 3.5k contribution so around 38K. If I got 3 k for the S40 then 35K.

Even a Scirocco with less powerful 1.4 is around same price, reckon BMW would holds it value better.

May go 2nd hand altogether in UK because the future is so uncertain, and as you say all electric will be the craze in a few years.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not sure that a 1.5 turbo petrol won't be without its issues either long term. I assume that's why you're not looking at diesel?

I have a 1.6 litre diesel which is serviced religously oil and filter every 14k km, apart from the turbo what else could go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well you're doing diesel mileage, I'm thinking maybe you're avoiding diesel because your s40 needs work now?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Well you're doing diesel mileage, I'm thinking maybe you're avoiding diesel because your s40 needs work now?

Work and age, As it is 10 year old I don't want to put expensive parts (looks like EGR issue currently) into the car. Next month could be the DMF, the month after the Turbo!

Unfortunately there aren't that many petrol cars around in a decent spec that I would put my hand in my pocket for, and here in Ireland we simply don't don't get decent spec petrol cars (VW, SEAT 1.4 ACT are as rare as hens teeth).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Are you looking to buy new?

If yes, the 118i is only a three cylinder engine, so it could be quite rough and not in keeping with what one might expect from a BMW (although it should sound quite nice as three cylinder engines tend to sound a lot more tuneful than fours), the 120i is a four cylinder engine, all other things being equal the four cylinder engine will last longer and will be smoother to drive. The 120i is a lot faster on paper, does the sprint to 100 km/h 1.5 seconds faster - it has 181 bhp to the 134 bhp of the 118i.

Looking at new as keep long term and I know the car history, too many chipped BMW's around. Thinking the 120i would be my choice and would have the power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure you actually get that contribution from BMW, have heard dealers are trying to claw it back through higher PCP rates or poor trade-in values. Also to qualify the car has to be registered by March 31st so you may struggle to get a factory order delivered and registered by then.

Advertisement