Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 208: Holm v de Randomie (Women's featherweight)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Based on that video, we should be seeing a hell of a lot more 10-8 rounds which I'm definitely on board with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That was one hell of a chore to watch all the way through. Aside from Souza's submission and Poirier/Miller, there was nothing to get excited about.

One of the worst cards/PPV's I've seen in ages. Usually there's 3 or 4 exciting fights/moments to get you out of your seat but I couldn't wait for this to finish and it takes something as supremely shíte as that card for me to say that about fights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Who else is stoked for Ronda v Holly 2 in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Gamebred wrote: »
    Who else is stoked for Ronda v Holly 2 in July.

Surely a fight night headline right there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

208 was pretty crap alright, btw can someone do up the UFC 209 thread :D I would if i could embed the fight details like the OP on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

martyos121 wrote: »
    Whittaker is hardly a terrific prospect, he swings for the fences and hopes for the best. He's had soft matchmaking and Brunson is the only good win on his record. If he faces a proper counter-striker or a dominant grappler, he gets destroyed.

A counter striker, like Uriah Hall or a grappler like BJJ black belt Rafael Natal......no wait sorry, nevermind, he already knocked the snot out of both of them for 15 mins. ;)

I haven't scored the fight, I might go back and watch 5 rounds with the sound off. But I might not feel like wasting 25 mins.

The majority of scoring is either 48-47 or 47-48. So the fight it's self is a coin flip but GDR should have been docked 1 if not 2 points. Holly should have been looking at worst a draw, and anything up to 48-45 after that.

Ref was a joke, both in regards not docking a point and also not ending the round properly. A good ref breaks it up and gets between them, not just standing there like a pervert.

The funny outcome of all of this is that, Cyborg is kind of the winner. The whole world seen GDR screw sweetheart Holly Holm. Holly is the loser, and GDR is the villain, and now the fans want nothing more to see her lose. Her after the bell strikes will take all the heat off of Cyborg leaving her swagger in as the anti-hero and smash GDR.
    The rumour is that Cyborg has applied for a retroactive TUE from USADA and that they are about to grant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

red ears wrote: »
    208 was pretty crap alright, btw can someone do up the UFC 209 thread :D I would if i could embed the fight details like the OP on this one.

Your wish is my command.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057705488

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Mellor wrote: »
    just standing there like a pervert.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mellor wrote: »
    A counter striker, like Uriah Hall or a grappler like BJJ black belt Rafael Natal......no wait sorry, nevermind, he already knocked the snot out of both of them for 15 mins. ;)

I was talking about high-level opposition, and you bring up wins over one of the most inconsistent fighters on the roster and another who isn't even ranked? Also it's quite odd to bring Natal's BJJ black belt into it when the fight never went to the ground. Gloat all you want if he beats one of the guys currently ranked above him, but I don't think he has it in him personally. He seems like a sound, hard-working guy though and Australian MMA could do with a star, so I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. The guys above him though are all killers.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    I was talking about high-level opposition, and you bring up wins over one of the most inconsistent fighters on the roster and another who isn't even ranked? Also it's quite odd to bring Natal's BJJ black belt into it when the fight never went to the ground. Gloat all you want if he beats one of the guys currently ranked above him, but I don't think he has it in him personally. He seems like a sound, hard-working guy though and Australian MMA could do with a star, so I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. The guys above him though are all killers.
    I brought up Natal as you said a high level grappler would be his undoing, which didn't happen. As you pointed out it didn't go to the mat, despite Natal attempted takedowns. Whitaker forced him to play his game and won handily.

He's only 25, everyone ahead of him in the ranking is much more experienced. He has plenty of time to improve.
    He's currently ranked 6th, just above Silva and Brunson, and just behind Weidman and Mousai. He's clearly not top 5 yet, but 6th is a completely reasonable ranking.

I'm not saying he's next in line for the belt, I'm saying that 6th isn't anywhere close to "average".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Come here lads...i was thinking there this morning...could mcgregors missus make 145 ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dashoonage wrote: »
    Come here lads...i was thinking there this morning...could mcgregors missus make 145 ?

She'll have one of the quickest cuts ever in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Just caught up on the event, Poirier/Millar aside that was a proper **** show.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Just caught up this evening, as above Poirier Miller was good and was also great to see Jacare do what he does best. Worst card in a long time other than that. The girls just can't keep me interested in the fights, just not nearly as much skill as the men's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As has already been pointed out, but just to echo. That ref for the Holm fight was a disgrace, no way he should have been in there is he does not have the cop on to take a point at a minimum the second time, which was not even disguised as accidental to be perfectly honest.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Any chance of this result being overturned into a no contest? I see Holly has officially appealed

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Any chance of this result being overturned into a no contest? I see Holly has officially appealed

I highly doubt it. It's at the referees doscretion to decide whether or not to deduct a point, and he chose not to on the night. To reverse that decision undermines the ref and the commission, can't see it being successful.

Django99 wrote: »
    I highly doubt it. It's at the referees doscretion to decide whether or not to deduct a point, and he chose not to on the night. To reverse that decision undermines the ref and the commission, can't see it being successful.
    The commission are the ones who decide on the appeal. So I don't see how they could undermine themselves.

Obviously, it undermines the referrers actions on the night. But that's the entire point of a governing body, so that the referee hasn't got totalitarian control.

That said, we can probably count on one hand the amount of results appeals have changed,.

Advertisement