Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating issues - living with landlord

Options
  • 11-02-2017 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am a student and i moved in with my Landlord one month ago.
    I even invited my coursemate to come to the available room.
    When i came to this house, my landlord was always complaining about the timer and said that it doesnt regulate sometimes.
    She urged me to read the manual and try to set it to see if I would be able to.
    I never wanted to but she kept saying it.
    When my coursemate moved in, I decided to set the timer to suit us. but I set it for 7hours as my landlord had said.
    She noticed that the heater was on for longer periods and she called my attention to it.
    I said that I didnt know why and she said it ok, its not my fault, maybe I dont know how to do it and that her daughter will fix it. I agreed. she also said that she usually set the room temperature for 12degree. I remember that clearly.

Two days after that, i got back from college and she said that can I please be turning off the heater because the heater was on during the day. I said ok.
    when we got back, the heater didnt come on that night. the temperature was 3degrees
    the next day, she didnt come home and the heater didnt come on again. we sent her a message which she ignored.

The day after that, i got home late and she was gone again but the heater was on. However, the heater was not working properly. I checked the room temperature and the temperature had been set for 8 degree rather than the 12 that she said initially.

The next day I was home and when she came in, she said she was sorry that we had to stay for 2 nights without the heating. she said that her daughter has fixed it and it works fine now. I said ok but i noticed that the room temperature has been changed to 8 degree. she said that she doesnt know what I am talking about and that she has never set a room temperature. I reminded what she told me and she lied and said that she didnt say it and i misunderstood her. then i asked her why the heater did come on for two nights and she lied and said that she doesnt know and that it is an old house and she cant guarantee me that it wont happen again so if i am not happy, i can move out.

please note that she personally turned off the heater because we use gas for heating and cooking. the cooking gas came on but the hater didnt. the mornin of the second night, we saw where she turned it off in a switch. she is lying to us because we are international students and we dont use heaters in our countries so she thinks we are stupid to know what she is doing.

I want to know if 8degree is a normal thing or if I need to take the matter to the local council so that we can get decent heating till we leave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If the landlord is living there you're licencees. She can effectively ask you to leave at anytime, for any reason. While she is required to give reasonable notice it's almost completely unenforceable.

Also you might want to ask nicely for this to be moved to Accom & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Really don't think the local council is going to be too concerned.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moved to Accommodation and Property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I want to know if 8degree is a normal thing or if I need to take the matter to the local council so that we can get decent heating till we leave

The council will tell you it is not their issue. You have no recourse, you will just have to move out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both 8 and 12 are almost certainly numbers on a dial, not degrees - room temperature should be about 20 celcius for living rooms and 18 for bedrooms - 8 or 12 would be extremely uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is there a boost button or a way to just turn it on or off when you need it? I'd say stay away from the timer it sounds like a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

just buy a portable room heater and use that when you are there. She is proba trying to save electricity :S and in this cold weather it's just mad that she i doing this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

L1011 wrote: »
    Both 8 and 12 are almost certainly numbers on a dial, not degrees - room temperature should be about 20 celcius for living rooms and 18 for bedrooms - 8 or 12 would be extremely uncomfortable.

Yeah, sounds like a timer rather than degrees.

Advertisement