Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wages

Options
  • 11-02-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Currently working in a hotel (just for weekends at the moment while I'm in college). Our wages so far have been paid on the basis of when we clock in in the morning and when we clock out in the evenings (in 15 min intervals), however as it is in accommodation they have said that the wages are too high and are being much stricter on the time it takes us to clean the rooms. They're now saying that if we don't get the rooms done within the allowed time we won't get paid for the extra work we do but we still have to get all the rooms done.

So if I was rostered from 11-4 but ended up working til 5:30 I will only get paid til 4 because apparently that's how long it should take.

Are they allowed to do this? I doubt it's legal but can't find anything online about a similar situation.

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,973 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No its not allowed.

But are the times they allow for the work unreasonable? Why can't you just get the work done in the allottex time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Saloca

No its not allowed.

But are the times they allow for the work unreasonable? Why can't you just get the work done in the allottex time?

Most of the rooms would be done in the allocated time but some of the rooms would be turned upside down when you go in...and would require a lot more work than most.
    There's also times where beds have to be remade after noticing a stain on the sheet that laundry didn't see. Very frustrating.

Most of us haven't been there that long either so we're still getting used to it and although we've gotten faster since we've started maybe we just need to pick up the pace. It's tiring work though!

I'll have to have a word with my supervisors.

Thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I used to manager a team and room servicing isn't an art, it's a process that can be dictated down to the minutes unless a room requires extra attention.
    If I remember correctly, our staff done 14 departures per shift, or 25 stay ons. This would be a mixture of singles, doubles and family rooms, it would also include stocking trollies and corridors. This was a 4 star hotel with an excellent standard of rooms.
    However the staff need to be well trained, each part of the room is serviced in order, with the same process being used in every room, no mater what the type of room, they all contain the same thing.

OP, maybe management are being unreasonable, I can't tell, but I'm sure a Google search will give you a good guide to how long a room service should take.
    If you think that's unreasonable, maybe ask for more training. Do you have a correct process of cleaning the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Saloca

Senna wrote: »
    I used to manager a team and room servicing isn't an art, it's a process that can be dictated down to the minutes unless a room requires extra attention.
    If I remember correctly, our staff done 14 departures per shift, or 25 stay ons. This would be a mixture of singles, doubles and family rooms, it would also include stocking trollies and corridors. This was a 4 star hotel with an excellent standard of rooms.
    However the staff need to be well trained, each part of the room is serviced in order, with the same process being used in every room, no mater what the type of room, they all contain the same thing.

OP, maybe management are being unreasonable, I can't tell, but I'm sure a Google search will give you a good guide to how long a room service should take.
    If you think that's unreasonable, maybe ask for more training. Do you have a correct process of cleaning the room?

Different supervisors/ managers trained us differently but as far as I know we all do the rooms with the same main steps/ sequence. I'll try searching online to see if there's any tips.

Not everyone is as slow as me and I'm getting better but I'm working my butt off and just want to know what I'm entitled to in the meantime.

Need to make sure I'm right about what I'm entitled to before I ask them about it.

Thanks for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

My take on this is that if you're currently taking longer than managment think you should still be paid the time it takes.

But, if management believe you should be doing it quicker they should investigate, and possibly discipline i.e. start the process of letting you go.

However, I don't think they should reduce the wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just reading back on this makes me cringe i am glad i don't work in the hotel industry

Advertisement