Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red speedvan

• 11-02-2017 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

This is my first time seeing red speed van ? Any idea what it is ? Tried google but conflicting answers..
    Go safe van - can they issue penalties?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Lvstar wrote: »
    This is my first time seeing red speed van ? Any idea what it is ? Tried google but conflicting answers..
    Go safe van - can they issue penalties?

I've seen mostly red speed vans, a few white ones but mostly red.
    (Co. Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

GoSafe vans can issue both penalty points & a fine if found to be over the speed limit.

Their vans can be any colour afaik, I often see white, red and blue ones around.

8146130629_43053e96dc_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lvstar

Ah sugar! I was going 90 in 80 km/h zone i was about 500m away and before other cars . Mind i know its bad to speed and allways stay in limit but i had so much on my mind !!!ahh so so silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

apparently you'd need to be a lot closer than 500m for them to nab you....relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did it have markings on it as some are survey vans.

• Advertisement

Ah im very matucilous person never get in trouble and now freaking out 😂 it had markings on it allright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

speedos are quite inaccurate, you probably weren't much over the 80 anyway....you'll be fine in all probability

I'm sure you know they don't flash and you need to be quite close for it to catch you. There is a slight up mark or threshold so hopeful you got down in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

You've just got to love the completely unreflective chequerboard paint on the side of these vans..
    Just in case you'd be able to see a parked vehicle in a place where there would normally be no vehicle.

Smacks of complete stupidity, and a poorly executed idea for safety. Much like the whole implementation of private camera vans in this country.

If you parked your own car in the same place you'd be expected to put sidelights or hazards on. Why are these private groups exempted from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

If you can't see one of these as you approach then speeding is the least of your worries, perhaps consider an eye test :D

7d9e2c65e296ceb4acef0c78c2ae8563.jpg--a_gosafe_speed_van_operating_in_limerick__a_number_of_cases_were_dismissed_this_week_due_to_motorists_giving_evidence_that_they_had_not_received_fine_notifications.jpg

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    If you can't see one of these as you approach then speeding is the least of your worries, perhaps consider an eye test :D

7d9e2c65e296ceb4acef0c78c2ae8563.jpg--a_gosafe_speed_van_operating_in_limerick__a_number_of_cases_were_dismissed_this_week_due_to_motorists_giving_evidence_that_they_had_not_received_fine_notifications.jpg

Parked on bends and behind trucks and other vans though a lot so not really possible to see till too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you can't see one of these as you approach then speeding is the least of your worries, perhaps consider an eye test

They are deliberately non-reflective. Take a photo with a flash camera in the dead of night and you won't pick it up. I'm not saying one still shouldn't see it, but they are using non-reflective materials on these vans.
    Popoutman wrote: »
    Smacks of complete stupidity, and a poorly executed idea for safety.

Its not stupidity, its deliberate. A highly reflective van will be seen at night, giving a chance to slow down, which kinda defeats the point of dolling out fines for speeding. You can have a high visibility campaign or a campaign based on 'fear' so to speak with people receiving fines oblivious to the van. You can't have both. These vans are thus catch non-observant drivers who are speeding. We'd want to be catching all drivers who are speeding, even the most cunning. So efficiency wise, these vans are highly inefficient at the job they are tasked with doing e.g. Catching speeders.

I've often thought a great case study would be to place once of these vans on a strech of road and conduct the following tests:
    • Warn drivers of the van, but have no van, secretly recording the speed of passing cars.
    • Warn drivers of the van, but have the van in situ, again noting their approach and departure speed.

I'd be curious which test would result in an overall lower average speed for the road. I suspect if people thought they could get a fine on any road, at any time, and not be aware of it, it would be a far more effective campaign than 'zones' where you can be fairly sure a van will be situated and you can otherwise speed as the Gardai are spread so thin otherwise.

My Irish isn't that good you know- who's "Mall" and why does he have to go? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

My Irish isn't that good you know- who's "Mall" and why does he have to go? :D

It's American for "Go to the Shop"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

ironclaw wrote: »
    They are deliberately non-reflective. Take a photo with a flash camera in the dead of night and you won't pick it up. I'm not saying one still shouldn't see it, but they are using non-reflective materials on these vans.

Its not stupidity, its deliberate. A highly reflective van will be seen at night, giving a chance to slow down, which kinda defeats the point of dolling out fines for speeding. You can have a high visibility campaign or a campaign based on 'fear' so to speak with people receiving fines oblivious to the van. You can't have both. These vans are thus catch non-observant drivers who are speeding. We'd want to be catching all drivers who are speeding, even the most cunning. So efficiency wise, these vans are highly inefficient at the job they are tasked with doing e.g. Catching speeders.

I've often thought a great case study would be to place once of these vans on a strech of road and conduct the following tests:
    • Warn drivers of the van, but have no van, secretly recording the speed of passing cars.
    • Warn drivers of the van, but have the van in situ, again noting their approach and departure speed.

I'd be curious which test would result in an overall lower average speed for the road. I suspect if people thought they could get a fine on any road, at any time, and not be aware of it, it would be a far more effective campaign than 'zones' where you can be fairly sure a van will be situated and you can otherwise speed as the Gardai are spread so thin otherwise.

In the original GoSafe consortium submission for the mobile speed camera contact, GoSafe had carried out such studies.
    They covertly monitored and recorded the speeds of drivers over a number of months.

The result was that, Half of all vehicles were exceeding the posted speed limit.

In their submission their prediction of the number of speeding detections was going to be astronomical.
    It was going to be a massive revenue stream for the government, and that the revenues would pay for the cost of the contract ,times over.

In reality, with the visible vans they average less than 2 detections per hour.

If anyone thinks that these vans aren't visible, they should look at speed cameras in other countries.

UK have many warnings and reflective camera covering so stick out day and night the vans we have are in no way reflective.

mikeecho wrote: »

In reality, with the visible vans they average less than 2 detections per hour.

If anyone thinks that these vans aren't visible, they should look at speed cameras in other countries.

On certain roads, you're also nearly always warned in advance by oncoming drivers.

Sorry if i offended anyone with my question. I geuineley had alot on my mind and shouldnt have driven at all . I know its my own fault this is why i asked will i now be in trouble

Advertisement