Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultant holidays -appointments

Options
  • 11-02-2017 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My consultant is on holidays at the moment. He will be back in 2 weeks for my appointment.
    Does anyone know if consultants usually cover clinics for each other or are clinics just not on during their holidays?
    Ended up in the emergency room today (Saturday) thankfully all is perfect! It was fine in fairness and told me I was seen first as was private. Was all done in an hour. If it happened though on a day my consultant had a clinic I would try to just go to see him in his room.
    Hopefully there will be no more blips in the next 13 days!!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I know in the Coombe when my consultant went on holidays I saw a colleague of hers - she gave me her number etc before she left and I was due a routine appointment during my consultants two week holidays and saw the other lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I know in the Coombe when my consultant went on holidays I saw a colleague of hers - she gave me her number etc before she left and I was due a routine appointment during my consultants two week holidays and saw the other lady.

Thanks angel!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh also I had to go in on a Sunday for a trace one day due to no movement and my consultant wasn't on call that weekend but they phoned her to let her know I was in and I was seen by the consultant on call. There were no issues so I went home and consultant rang me the next morning but had there been a problem she would have come in and seen me herself. Glad everything's ok x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

You will see another consultant if you have an appointment when they are on holiday. Similar they take it in turns to be on call at weekends so you will always have a consultant who sees you.

Oh also I had to go in on a Sunday for a trace one day due to no movement and my consultant wasn't on call that weekend but they phoned her to let her know I was in and I was seen by the consultant on call. There were no issues so I went home and consultant rang me the next morning but had there been a problem she would have come in and seen me herself. Glad everything's ok x

Ahhh I was thinking! I actually saw another consultant today who was working. She was talking to me about my own consultant, she had been working upstairs but came down to me in emergency room. Tbh I didn't know what to expect and was half thinking a midwife or registrar was going to scan me!

• Advertisement

Forgot to say I didn't get charged for the emergency room today? When I arrived they took my vhi details off me, as I left I checked to see if I have to pay anything.....they said no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

VHI should cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

I never got charged either when I accessed a&e when pregnant.

January wrote: »
    VHI should cover it.

Yeah tbh it's no big deal if I get charged as I can claim back on on vhi. I just assumed I would be charged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Millem wrote: »
    Forgot to say I didn't get charged for the emergency room today? When I arrived they took my vhi details off me, as I left I checked to see if I have to pay anything.....they said no?

There is no A&E charge for pregnant patients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was assigned to a consultant when my own was on holidays and they would have been called if I had gone into labour. I also wasn't charged for an a&e visit when I needed a trace, I can't remember if it was covered by vhi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

radharc wrote: »
    There is no A&E charge for pregnant patients.

I think that's only for pregnancy related emergency though. I'd thought it shouldn't require VHI either, as HSE should cover those anyway.
    Maybe I'm missing something

The only reason I thought I had to pay was because I saw somewhere on holles st site "If you choose to be a private or semi-private patient, you are liable for all costs associated with your maternity care at The National Maternity Hospital. "

Advertisement