Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadlifting. Traditional v sumo

• 11-02-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

All this talk of competing has got me thinking lately that it may be a possibility in the near future. I only trap bar deadlift at present but I've always wanted to do traditional deadlifts, not even knowing what sumo DL were.
    Can you pull sumo in competitions? What are the main differences and which do you lot on here do mostly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

:Dhttp://www.strongerbyscience.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/

Plenty of people deadlift sumo in competition. It suits sone people more than others dependiNG on their make up for reasons such as differences in arm length, leg length, torso length difference.

Some people use one as a training variation for the other as their main movement.

They're very different though.

I do conventional and train sumo as my training variant
    I find sumo a lot easier up to about 85%+ of conventional (which is why I love training it when I'm lazy) and then a lot harder after that. I think. Haven't tested it super properly
    There's less ROM though so you have less distance to bring it up which can definitely be a competition plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bluewolf wrote: »
    I do conventional and train sumo as my training variant
    I find sumo a lot easier up to about 85%+ of conventional (which is why I love training it when I'm lazy) and then a lot harder after that. I think. Haven't tested it super properly
    There's less ROM though so you have less distance to bring it up which can definitely be a competition plus

True but I don't think it's a "cheat" method from what I've read so far. If it was it wouldn't be legal in comp or everyone would do it

It's certainly not a cheat method and it has its own difficulties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I find sumo a lot harder on hips quads and knees in comparison the regular which realy hits hammies and lower back and glutes!
    If im 100% i prefer regular deads just personal preference!
    Another thing ive found is the bar moves much slower off the floor for me on sumos but moves quicker at the top and locking out so both methods will improve your overall deadlift!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Everyone knows sumo doesnt count so dont try it........

I actually find i am much better at rep work on sumo but in terms of 1rm my conventional is much better. I can probably bang out 3 more reps at the same weight if pullings sumo vs con. I think its just the less stress on the lower back which makes rep work more comfortable for me on it but mobility/ proportions wise i am just stronger at conventional. Probably a 25kg difference between the two in terms of 1 rm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I dunno if it's a genetic/back thing or if my form is terrible for the conventional, not only can I lift more weight lifting sumo style, but it feels way easier/safer on my back and my recovery time is quicker as well.

I've very long arms and a small waist, so that might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Coach in my gym said he made the switch personally because his back was always fried after rugby scrum training and the thought of conventional pulling killed him. He hasn't gone back to conventional since.

A blog I read before from a sumo lifter did it because his quads are big and his grip is forced to widen. His federation doesn't allow lubing the leg so he went sumo.

Advertisement