Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone is throwing bags of rubbish over the wall.. Whose responsibility?

Options
  • 11-02-2017 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi. I'm a tenant in a ras scheme in Galway Ireland and lately someone has been slinging plastic bags of rubbish over the wall . The owners of the house have suggested that I report it to the guards but I think that its their duty to go to the guards. I agreed when it was suggested but will Not do it now as I don't want to become involved in potential court cases. Any views welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'll be honest OP, I don't think this is your landlord's responsibility and if you want it to stop you're going to have to call the Gardaí. You wouldn't likely be invovled in any court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Report it to the local council litter warden. However, not much will be done unless the person dumping can somehow be identified, such as through bills, letters, or something with their name and address within the bags of rubbish.

You live there, so you should report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You'd sooner live in someone else's filth whilst you wait for your landlord to sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I don't want to become involved in potential court cases. Any views welcome.
    :rolleyes:

Well live with it then. We've a method of dealing with issues and they involve the guards and potentially witnesses coming forward. How you think this is your landlord's duty to go to the guards is beyond me.

+1 on litter warden and the that it's very unlikely that you'll need to go to court but attitudes like this are the reason for much of the anti-social behaviour out there going unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Your landlord has no evidence other than YOUR word. Why would AGS believe a second hand report. First hand report maybe but second hand not a chance in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's a RAS scheme?

I know that RAS is used to subsidise rent. But are you simply a tenant in a regular house, supported by RAS - or is this some kind of scheme estate???

Either way, your options are roughly:

1 Complain to the authorities(*) (Is the official route, but can have local repercussions, and may not work)

2 Put up with it (but you'll have to pay to get rid of their rubbish - and if you don't stand up to the scummers they'll likely bully you worse)

3 Find local methods of dealing with it: this involves identifying who's doing it, and finding someone who they will respect/fear to intervene on your behalf. Can be tricky if you get the wrong suspect, and can be hard to figure out who to intervene and get them on side. But if you get it right, it likely the most long-term effective route.

(*) authorities is the litter warden. The guards would die of laughter if you complained about people dumping rubbish, unless there was some criminal element to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

now as I don't want to become involved in potential court cases. Any views welcome.

Really?
    You'd rather ignore some arse flinging their trash over the garden fence and have your landlord intervene like a teacher in primary school and sort your problem for you?

I honestly don't understand why you expect the landlord to chase whoever the arsehole is, who has decided to sling their trash over the garden wall.

It is normal for a tenant to keep a property neat and tidy within reason.
    You deciding to ignore the trash in the garden- is not being reasonable- you are renting the property- it is antisocial behaviour- you should be reporting it- to An Garda Síochána and the Environmental Protection officer of your local authority. Report it to the Gardaí and have the local community Garda look into it.

Whoever slung it (the trash) over the wall- is a right piece of work. Its your issue though, you have let the property and obviously have an issue with one of the neighbours- not the landlords- I don't comprehend how or why you imagine you should do nothing.............

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

Your landlord has no evidence other than YOUR word. Why would AGS believe a second hand report. First hand report maybe but second hand not a chance in hell.
    My landlord has plenty of evidence in the form of around 20 bags he has collected from me already. The city council pays him good rent and I'm under the auspices of the city council. But I may go to the litter warden o.k. but its going to be very difficult to catch this person in the act of littering. No harm in putting it down for the record though. Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Cctv

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

goz83 wrote: »
    Cctv

The good old fashioned way- is you put on protective clothing and go through the bags until you find a utility bill and/or other correspondence with the miscreants name and address on it.

• Advertisement

The good old fashioned way- is you put on protective clothing and go through the bags until you find a utility bill and/or other correspondence with the miscreants name and address on it.

Best let the litter warden do this as they will have the evidence first hand. They will slap a fine on the responsible party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

take photos and note down times/dates it happens and report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Best let the litter warden do this as they will have the evidence first hand. They will slap a fine on the responsible party.

It is after all their job. They will search the bags for ID also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jeez guys take it easy, the op is looking for advice and has a genuine fear of retribution from the offender.
    Just think about the type of person who would purposefully throw rubbish into your garden on a continuous basis. That type of person obviously doesn't give a fig about the OP as they are rubbing their nose in it, if they wanted to do it properly they would soar the fly tipping around to other places rather than target one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A camera and a sign with cctv in operation will make them think twice before they do it again, unless they are right cheeky b@stards and cover their identity while they continue to fling their rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

lawred2 wrote: »
    So because your rent gets paid by the taxpayer (lucky you) that removes all personal responsibility for maintaining the property? Just report the issue directly to the council litter warden. What they will do I don't know but at least it puts it on record. This is not the landlord's job.

So because the tenant is on rent allowance (however that makes them lucky) and someone throws rubbish over their wall you presume they don't maintain the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

We're not having an argument about welfare. Take it to pm if you want to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think the OP needs to man up, grow a set of balls and report it the council & Guards,

Install a dummy CCTV at first, followed by a real one if the problem persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Stupidly in this country if someone illegally dumps on your land it is you that has to clean it up. Farmers regulary get hit with bills of thousands after illegal rubbish dumps.

In this case the landlord as the owner is responsible for keeping the area clean.

If he lives far away and this happens regulary then it will be a huge pain to keep calling and picking up a black bag and putting it in the wheely bin for you, and could sour the relationship.

If it was me i'd report it to the landlord and litter warden and just put them in the bin myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My landlord has plenty of evidence in the form of around 20 bags he has collected from me already. The city council pays him good rent and I'm under the auspices of the city council. But I may go to the litter warden o.k. but its going to be very difficult to catch this person in the act of littering. No harm in putting it down for the record though. Thanks for replying.

But the landlord has no evidence that it's not your rubbish. If you go to AGS or the litter warden you are making a first hand report. If your land lord goes to the litter warden he is making a second hand report. First hand evidence is better evidence than second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

Really?
    You'd rather ignore some arse flinging their trash over the garden fence and have your landlord intervene like a teacher in primary school and sort your problem for you?

I honestly don't understand why you expect the landlord to chase whoever the arsehole is, who has decided to sling their trash over the garden wall.

It is normal for a tenant to keep a property neat and tidy within reason.
    You deciding to ignore the trash in the garden- is not being reasonable- you are renting the property- it is antisocial behaviour- you should be reporting it- to An Garda Síochána and the Environmental Protection officer of your local authority. Report it to the Gardaí and have the local community Garda look into it.

Whoever slung it (the trash) over the wall- is a right piece of work. Its your issue though, you have let the property and obviously have an issue with one of the neighbours- not the landlords- I don't comprehend how or why you imagine you should do nothing.............
    I went to guards

Advertisement