Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is spray foam for attic insulation not worthy of SEAI grants?

• 11-02-2017 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭

I recently got a quote to have Icynene expending insulation sprayed in my roof spaces, but was told that it doesn't qualify for any grants at all.

I was wondering if its as good as the marketing says, why would the Government exclude it from their grant scheme?

Is it just that they haven't got round to assessing it yet?
    Or is there any other reason it doesn't qualify?

http://www.uksprayfoam.co.uk/loft-insulation/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Lets say you had a "normal" attic with mineral wool above the ceiling, and also ventilated eaves. If you spray foamed the rafters, you would still have cold air circulating between the two types of insulation. Therefore your new rafter insulation would be pointless.

If you had a vaulted ceiling, it would make more sense then. But you'd still have to be careful that the roof timbers had some ventilation or protection from condensation.

Its can be a good solution for bit of roof that sticks out at ground floor level on a 2 storey house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is a type of spray foam that is breathable, so would suit the purpose.

Just for info, I emailed this same question to SEAI and they replied and said they had passed it on to their technical dept and they would be in contact......heard nothing....and that was maybe 10 days ago.

If I ever get a reply, I'll update.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Best to Search the forum, this has been covered countless times before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The building science is important here so lets just float a few ideas here.

Existing best practice for in slope roof insulation, with a non breathable roofing felt, is that a 2" air circulation gap is left between the in slope insulation and the non breathable felt, and eaves carriers are used to collect the cold air from the ventilated soffits and pass it into the 2" gap.

If we accept the science behind the above, and therefore accept that the associated building practice is kosher, then explain to me how a blow and go solution using spray foam can pass muster, without the use of breathable insulation baffles which I have never seen used on sprayfoam jobs that I didn't project manage.

The breathable baffles allow the two inch gap to be created.

This link will shed some light on a lot of building concepts
    https://www.nsai.ie/S-R-54-2014-Code-of-Practice.aspx

OP as for SEAI, 10 years might get you there

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still heard nothing from SEAI......good customer service there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement