Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual NCT problem in Limerick

• 11-02-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭

This is a link to an account in the Limerick Leader of a motor dealers expensive day out.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/234748/limerick-car-dealer-s-third-time-lucky-for-toyota-in-nct.html
    A LIMERICK car dealer who has sold hundreds of cars was left red in the face and out of pocket to the tune of €600 after he was forced to put a car through an NCT three times.

Adrian Filojek, from Poland, of First Class Motors on the Ennis Road, has filed a complaint with the NCT’s national offices in Dublin, which he said caused him great embarrassment in front of a purchaser, after he was driven around the bend by the local NCT centre.

Before selling on the Toyota Avensis, he brought the car for a full test on car at 8am one day, where it failed due to a handbrake cable. He rebooked the test for 5.45pm the same day, as he had a customer travelling by bus from Cork that evening to purchase the car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

How did they "lose" that specific record?

Sounds fishy.

If a cert was printed then a record was created surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I dont get it? what is unusual about this?

My moms car failed for excessive play on the clutch pedal once. I ended up blocking the exit till the manager would talk to me, where i asked him to point to the clutch pedal, My moms car is an automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Deadly way to promote ones business and make it look like poor them out of pocket.

Yes there was a fcuk up but in no way would it cost €€€s to sort. Good thing the work was done as it shows he was nearly ready to off load a car with issues.

They in business since Jan 2016 so doing well selling 100s of cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Apparently he had the fail sheet in his hand and they still went ahead and did a full test.
    Like I said, unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Deadly way to promote ones business and make it look like poor them out of pocket.

Yes there was a fcuk up but in no way would it cost €€€s to sort. Good thing the work was done as it shows he was nearly ready to off load a car with issues.

They in business since Jan 2016 so doing well selling 100s of cars.

Probably taken in to account money he has knocked off price of car to customer etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You're completely missing the point by a country mile regarding the discrepancies between tests. I have seen this myself with my own car. Because of life circumstances I had missed a retest. Fine, my bad. However the full(and fully charged) retest missed the original "issue", which wasn't one on further examination and found other "issues" apparently missed by the first test. "Issues" that had occurred with less than 150 KM's and 33 days under the car's belt in the interim.

And not for the first time I might add. Indeed even when said car passed the NCT on test/retest other than the lambda readings the rest of the readings could have been from another car and again we're talking of extremely low milage and time differences. I have found the NCT remarkably variable as far as results go. Both in the finer details and in the more obvious. I find it odd that 4 bushings can fail within 150Km's on both sides equally. The only conclusion one can draw is that the first tester missed the "issue"*, and/or the second was taking the piss. In odder news and going against the fundamental law of entropy in the universe, my engine appears to have gotten younger and less worn with time and miles…

And don't get me started on other stories I've seen for myself. A mate's car failed on "corroded brake lines" when they were like new, but the muppet tester failed same because he mistook an exhaust hanger for a brake line. Yeah. My mate still had to pay for the retest.

Meh, let's face it, for all the "health and safety" BS, that's minor enough, the NCT is both a tax on driving and an employment scheme and something the government can comply with EU regs, just cos(and an incentive, along with rising insurance costs to encourage new car sales). Indeed as some have noted, the number of accidents attributed to mechanical failure have increased since its introduction.

Yes it will take the odd real death traps off our roads, which is a good thing and it is here to stay, but as an overall objectively worthwhile "test"? Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

*two were bollocksed, but missed by one tester, the other two were fine and actually newly replaced.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

German plates on an Avensis, enough said.

Advertisement