Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance

Options
  • 12-02-2017 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My parents are insured with FBD, I am 18 and trying to get insured on my own car but was planning on getting my parents to be a main driver. FBD won't allow me to do this but Aviva will and it is 3000 which is good compared to the other quotes i have been given! up to 8000!! If my parents were to do this and my mum be the main driver with me and my dad as named drivers, would this affect anything to do with their FBD policy? like no claims bonus etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

One of the main issues is that you insurance isnt going to get cheaper until you start earning your own no claims bonus on your own policy.
    Your own no claims bonus is everything for getting cheaper insurance

If you and your dad go as named drivers, then you and him will never earn a no claims bonus and will always get sky high quotes for your own insurance.

And it would also be illegal for you or your dad to use the car more then your mum as that is called fronting, But it is also very hard thing to prove.
    However, having people added to insurance as named drivers can reduce the cost so it can be worth doing even if you never drive that car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

srsh wrote: »
    My parents are insured with FBD, I am 18 and trying to get insured on my own car but was planning on getting my parents to be a main driver. FBD won't allow me to do this but Aviva will and it is 3000 which is good compared to the other quotes i have been given! up to 8000!! If my parents were to do this and my mum be the main driver with me and my dad as named drivers, would this affect anything to do with their FBD policy? like no claims bonus etc?

What you are looking to do is called fronting!

Insurers are well aware of this by now.

Basically it's your car and not that of either of your parents.

Will you be the registered owner of the car?

As has been pointed out, you'll need to get your own policy to build up an NCB.

I was quoted £4000 for my first quote aged 17.

All one can do is suck it up sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

I was just charged 400 euro to transfer existing cover on my current car to a new car - same size car, newer, no other changes at all, never had a claim - just 400 euro thank you, because they know full well I have no options here - I have to transfer over the cover. It is extortion, a rip off, blackmail.

I will never use Aviva again. Ever. And I've been with them for years. Never had to pay more than 50 euro to transfer insurance, and once I even got a rebate.
    Rip off Ireland alive and well, and resides in Aviva Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I was just charged 400 euro to transfer existing cover on my current car to a new car - same size car, newer, no other changes at all, never had a claim - just 400 euro thank you, because they know full well I have no options here - I have to transfer over the cover. It is extortion, a rip off, blackmail.

I will never use Aviva again. Ever. And I've been with them for years. Never had to pay more than 50 euro to transfer insurance, and once I even got a rebate.
    Rip off Ireland alive and well, and resides in Aviva Ireland.

Why have you no options?

Unless you are not on full NCB and don't want to lose the months you have, you can move whenever you like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

srsh wrote: »

This is called Fronting and it's illegal....don't even consider going down that route.

Your best bet is to go on your parents policy as a Named Driver and build up Named Driving Experience for a year or two before you get a car of your own.

Not ideal I know but realistically your only option of you don't want to pay sky high premiums starting off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

No option as I have paid the full year in advance. That's what thinking ahead and being responsible gets you in Rip Off Ireland. I'd lose 8 months insurance, and it would take weeks to get the paperwork sorted.

I begin to understand what drives people to take out cars with no insurance - I don't condone it, it is a crime, and purely stupid, but I do begin to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

No option as I have paid the full year in advance. That's what thinking ahead and being responsible gets you in Rip Off Ireland. I'd lose 8 months insurance, and it would take weeks to get the paperwork sorted.

I begin to understand what drives people to take out cars with no insurance - I don't condone it, it is a crime, and purely stupid, but I do begin to understand.

Continue with your rant so, there are options but you don't seem interested

Advertisement