Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby waking every half hour at night!!

Options
  • 12-02-2017 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a 6 month old and 2 and half year old and the 6 month0old is killing us with sleep or lack of it.
    He was so good at 3 months, going down at 8 till 4 or 5 am and at 4 months it all went pear shaped.
    He now goes down at 8 again but wakes every half hour to 40 min crying. I have to go back up and hold his hand or just let him know I am there for him. Its so exhausting I don't know what to do.
    this goes on till he wakes at 8am in mornin. (I'm honestly not lying when I say its all night!!)
    I am so tired, I bring him into my bed and its just easier to reassure him then.
    I have tried to let him self soothe but hasn't worked and I'm so so tired now, I don't know what else to do.
    Other than that, he is a very happy placid little man but for some reason naps are hard for him as he is the same during the day.
    He is teething some nights but mostly it is just to know I am there to hold his hand.
    Has anyone ever experienced this and if so please please please tell me how you got over this. I'm so desperate for sleep now I will do almost anything!!!!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We as humans sleep on 45 minute sleep cycles but the majority of people have the ability to settle back to sleep without fully waking.

How does baby go to sleep - arms, head rub, holding hand etc? Do they have a comforter teddy? I used a sleep consultant and found the technique brilliant but also the support and structure/ routine. There was no crying it out, more gradual reprogramming of helping them settle. It took about a week. We still have some bad nights but it has greatly improved. It was removing the crutch of mammy and the soother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is he running a small temperature or anything? Headcold? How long is it going on for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Is he teething? Bit of calgel worked wonders for our, sorry kids, sleep.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

We had a similar problem with our first fella when he was that age.....as previous poster said, we used a sleep consultant too and it's probably the best money we've ever spent to be honest.

He's now nearly 5 and our other little guy is nearly 2 and both of them sleep solidly every night using the regime/techniques we were given.

There is a bit of work involved in implementing it and it's not cheap but it's worth every penny imho. I can send you the contact details by PM if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Cartman78 wrote: »
    We had a similar problem with our first fella when he was that age.....as previous poster said, we used a sleep consultant too and it's probably the best money we've ever spent to be honest.

He's now nearly 5 and our other little guy is nearly 2 and both of them sleep solidly every night using the regime/techniques we were given.

There is a bit of work involved in implementing it and it's not cheap but it's worth every penny imho. I can send you the contact details by PM if you're interested

Agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

Often babies wake at night if their sleep schedule isn't enough so being overtired causes it. Consider his day time naps I think at about that age you are suppose to put them down for 3 naps a day, the first 2 being 1.5 hours after they last wake up. I remember I thought there was no way my last guy would sleep that soon after last nap but he used to settle way better and have longer naps. Think the last nap of day is to be kept short and shouldn't be after 4.30 or they should be woken around that time. then it is recommended to put them down around 7 for night although I never really managed before 7.30. this all made massive difference to my guys sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Put him to sleep in you or the other parents robe or pjs , something with your scent so he starts associating it with sleep and comfort , make sure to obviously cut it to blanket size , I had a horrible time with my daughter when she was that age didn't sleep at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

Hopefully it might improve. Our little guy slept through night from 3 -6mths then bang was waking a lot + wouldn't settle at night. I all happened when he got a chest infection, teething +vaccines. Thankfully he did settle down but he has never really got back to fully sleeping through the night. Most times he just wakes + a soother will put him back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scaredycat

thanks a mill for the above. I am seriously considering a sleep consultant too as I am at my wits end.
    He doesn't have temp or sick or anything, he just can't self soothe and constantly needs reassurance and comfort. I worry a lot now as I am back to work in 2 months time and he is very attached to me, so much so, that my husband and I had a 2 night break booked for next week and we cancelled it cos he won't settle for anyone only me. its so draining, yet I hate seeing him distressed. His older brother was so independent so its all new for us. I agree with having to remove crutch of mammy and soother, but I just don't know how to do it? I cannot listen to his cries when I leave him as he gets louder and more distressed so I go back in to soothe him. its a viscious circle.
    Cartman78 can you pm me the consultant you used then if you don't mind, thanks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm having the exact same problem, my daughter slept perfectly untill she was 6 months old! She goes down perfectly then once 11.30pm comes shes waking every 30/40 mins crying it could take 2 seconds for us to get her back to sleep but it can also take 1hour, she doesnt sleep to much during the day she will have 2 20/30 min nap a day that is all .Shes now 11 months!
    We've tried everything. Just keep being told its teething but i really dont think it is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tlp2015

I'm having the exact same problem, my daughter slept perfectly untill she was 6 months old! She goes down perfectly then once 11.30pm comes shes waking every 30/40 mins crying it could take 2 seconds for us to get her back to sleep but it can also take 1hour, she doesnt sleep to much during the day she will have 2 20/30 min nap a day that is all and that's not by our choice this is all she sleeps we've tried introducing more naps incase the reason she is waking during the night is because shes over tired but she doesn't like to sleep much during the day either. She wakes up every morning around 5.30ish/6.30ish Shes now 11 months!
    We've tried everything.we've brought her to see people but we Just keep being told its teething but i think its something else aswell just can't figure out what.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

scaredycat wrote: »
    thanks a mill for the above. I am seriously considering a sleep consultant too as I am at my wits end.
    He doesn't have temp or sick or anything, he just can't self soothe and constantly needs reassurance and comfort. I worry a lot now as I am back to work in 2 months time and he is very attached to me, so much so, that my husband and I had a 2 night break booked for next week and we cancelled it cos he won't settle for anyone only me. its so draining, yet I hate seeing him distressed. His older brother was so independent so its all new for us. I agree with having to remove crutch of mammy and soother, but I just don't know how to do it? I cannot listen to his cries when I leave him as he gets louder and more distressed so I go back in to soothe him. its a viscious circle.
    Cartman78 can you pm me the consultant you used then if you don't mind, thanks?

Just a question, are you putting him down to sleep and then leaving the room? My second daughter was just like this. I mean exactly. Slept like a log and then all of a sudden simply refused to sleep for more than 20 minutes if I wasn't in the direct vicinity. Daddy absolutely didn't cut it.
    I started lying in bed beside her and pretending to sleep as she was settling, and when I was sure she was in a deep sleep, I would leave. Usually, the fact that she knew I was there when she dozed off kept her asleep. I worked up to sitting on the bed until she was out, then standing in the room, and now, FINALLY, I have been able to put her to bed and walk away. It just took repetitive assurance that I had not gone missing. I also agree that putting something you've worn into the cot with him could help.

Advertisement