Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a Knife

Options
  • 12-02-2017 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I was looking at buying a knife on heinnie.com and was wondering if anyone had any experience with importing knives i.e. would it come through customs or would it get taken? Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Dont think they will keep a knife buyt they maywell have a tax on importing depending on country of origin. I got one made by a guy on Facebook BROC knives based in Banbridge Co Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

http://kilkennyknifeandtool.com/

I use the site above they can source just about everything.
    I try keep the money in my local economy when possible

What type of knife are you looking for and how much roughly?

It should customs fine once its nothing from the banned list like bailsongs, ninja throwing stars, knuckle dusters etc.

I would love one of the broc knives from co down in the first reply you got OP world class bushcraft hand forged works of art starting at 100e

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CaolanM

macadam wrote: »
    Dont think they will keep a knife buyt they maywell have a tax on importing depending on country of origin. I got one made by a guy on Facebook BROC knives based in Banbridge Co Down.

The knife is coming from a company somewhere in Wales so it might be alright tax wise. Thanks for the reply, might give him a look

I have bought a knife from them before and they were great, fast delivery etc. I got in contact with them a week or 2 ago about sourcing a knife and haven't heard from them yet, going to give it another week before ordering from heinnie.com

It's just a hard use folding knife around €60, don't want buying an expensive knife until I know what customs will be like. 99% sure they aren't illegal to own even though they are illegal to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

If the knife is coming from a company in the U.K. maybe parcel motel would be the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If the knife is coming from a company in the U.K. maybe parcel motel would be the way to go.

Weapons are on their prohibited list. By all means give it a try if you want to but explaining that a hunting knife is not really a weapon isn't a battle worth risking a €60 purchase over, is it?

Yeah not really worth it, think I'll take my chances with customs and whatever courier they use. Seems like customs shouldn't really be an issue. Cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I bought this one from Greenman about 14 months ago. No problem with importing, customs or anything else. Arrived in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

There'll be no customs if it's coming from Wales (not for now at any rate.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Treadhead wrote: »
    There'll be no customs if it's coming from Wales (not for now at any rate.....)

2 years from next month before that's an issue. But yes - post Brexit there will be import duties on anything over €30 (iirc). Going to screw up Amazon and Ebay purchases too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't think the OP is concerned about customs duty.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement