Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welding a frame

Options
  • 12-02-2017 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I have an old steel frame with a crack across the downtube. It's probably going to the bin but I wondered had anyone ever done a diy weld on a frame. The is an old runaround, so the look is irrelevant. I have an electric welder I picked up and have some light rods. Opinions/ advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Get it done professional. Cheaper in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭moggie123

I hear you but probably just cheaper to pick up a steel frame and swap it out...... getting it done professionally most likely wouldn't be my first choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

moggie123 wrote: »
    I hear you but probably just cheaper to pick up a steel frame and swap it out...... getting it done professionally most likely wouldn't be my first choice...

Maybe cheaper. Have you received a quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭moggie123

I new a garage that would do it many years ago but they've closed. So the issue was finding someone willing to do it now. ...asked in a couple of places..no joy. They weren't interested. I don't have time to put lots of time into this...money almost secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It's a tricky weld due to the thickness (or rather the lack thereof) of the tube.

Not to mention the consequences of a failure during a ride...

• Advertisement
Advertisement