Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Window Regulations clarification

• 12-02-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Windows the are use as a means of escape, the regulations state that the opening section can be not less than 800 mm and not greater than 1100mm measured from the floor.

Is this measurement to the bottom of the actual part that opens or to the bottom of the window unit??

The would assume based on the wording it is measured to the bottom of the part that opens.

If it is to be bottom of the opening section there is a gain of about 55-60mm.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is this a new build or replacement of old windows?

Generally the height from the floor to the portion that opens should be 800-1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

New build. But when the planning drawing were sent to the tf company to complete detailed drawings we had a few issues. If measured to the opening section we should be OK as I estimate a 55-60mm gain in height.

lolliedog wrote: »
    New build. But when the planning drawing were sent to the tf company to complete detailed drawings we had a few issues. If measured to the opening section we should be OK as I estimate a 55-60mm gain in height.

You should have never sent planning drawings to the TF company.
    Have you got a supervising architect/engineer etc?
    The TF company should have received construction drawings.

Don't forget to allow for floor build up, so ply and then whatever floor finish you allow.

If you drop below the means of escape rules you then have to look at toughened glazing options and/or balustrade.

kceire wrote: »
    You should have never sent planning drawings to the TF company.
    Have you got a supervising architect/engineer etc?
    The TF company should have received construction drawings.

Don't forget to allow for floor build up, so ply and then whatever floor finish you allow.

If you drop below the means of escape rules you then have to look at toughened glazing options.

It was part of the TF remit to complete the construction drawings. It represents a good saving when it is included. The TF company have provided excellent drawings, like any first draft we have a few issues to overcome.

Would toughened glass in the entire window suffice. My windows are just one opening section all glass.

It was part of the TF remit to complete the construction drawings. It represents a good saving when it is included. The TF company have provided excellent drawings, like any first draft we have a few issues to overcome.

Would toughened glass in the entire window suffice. My windows are just one opening section all glass.

Would have to see a section.
    Is the TF company also doing the external skin?

• Advertisement

Would have to see a section.
    Is the TF company also doing the external skin?

The skin will be block completed by others. Going with ALU clulad Windows tilt and turn.. See section, I had asked for a liquid screed but I might have to loose the screed now. I could always drop the floors as the ceilings downstairs are 2700mm. The ceilings upstairs are high to fit the roof windows.

It a take on a old farmhouse, it amazing the knock on effect of getting things to work.

The skin will be block completed by others. Going with ALU clulad Windows tilt and turn.. See section, I had asked for a liquid screed but I might have to loose the screed now. I could always drop the floors as the ceilings downstairs are 2700mm. The ceilings upstairs are high to fit the roof windows.

It a take on a old farmhouse, it amazing the knock on effect of getting things to work.

So who is supervising the 'others'?
    What construction drawings are the 'others' working from?

The other work needs to be certified and the windows for means of escape will come under this certification so you need to have a talk with this person asap before the TF goes into production.

So who is supervising the 'others'?
    What construction drawings are the 'others' working from?

The other work needs to be certified and the windows for means of escape will come under this certification so you need to have a talk with this person asap before the TF goes into production.

Thanks.

There will be an Engineer on board.

Very early stages with TF. All they details will be agreed before manufactured commences.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP
    I would be concerned you do not seem to have anyone checking compliance with building regulations particularly part B, but really all regs. The timber frame company generally doesn't take in this role.

Edit: just see your post above now. Get your engineer on board now.

Thanks.

Very early stages with TF. All they details will be agreed before manufactured commences.

Get your engineer to check the TF working drawings BEFORE they manufacturer the frame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks.

Is timber frame company dealing with the 'thermal envelope design' ? ie have they been advising on part L (& BER) ? I ask this as the better timber frame companies may consult on air-tightness and insulation detailing & then install to an air-tightness target. that would be a good 'shell & core' option..

BryanF wrote: »
    Is timber frame company dealing with the 'thermal envelope design' ? ie have they been advising on part L (& BER) ? I ask this as the better timber frame companies may consult on air-tightness and insulation detailing & then install to an air-tightness target. that would be a good 'shell & core' option..

Air tightness is figure .06 a/c per hour but the company think that they will improve on this.

Walls u value 0.10
    Roof u value 0.10
    Roof sloping 0.12

Frame is 350mm thick with cellulose insulation plus service cavity insulated.

Advertisement