Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA Student Controller Programme 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bartekm1996

What got cut by half?

The students on the currently running program

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

As in, people who are there right now studying? Dropped out or what?

As in, people who are there right now studying? Dropped out or what?

Didn't pass exams, too many mistakes on the simulator etc thats what I'm guessing, she did in fact tell me about a polish lad who was 37, gave up his job, moved down from Dublin and got dropped after 9 months because he failed an exam and didn't pass the repeat either. I doubt anybody would drop out at this stage.

Wow. I've only ever heard of one or two leaving the EI cadetships over the years, I wouldn't like to envision leaving my employment to flunk out.

I'm sure there's more to it though, perhaps they are moved around the Irish bases for further training/checks/simulation etc. Something to bring up at final interview maybe. Risk is risk at the end of the day, it goes both ways!

Wow. I've only ever heard of one or two leaving the EI cadetships over the years, I wouldn't like to envision leaving my employment to flunk out.

I'm sure there's more to it though, perhaps they are moved around the Irish bases for further training/checks/simulation etc. Something to bring up at final interview maybe. Risk is risk at the end of the day, it goes both ways!

The Ei is another excellent cadetship, but I think it's much harder to be dropped as your in Jerez for the time of the training and everything is catered for food, accommodation etc but that's only a personal opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 HughMann

This is absolute rubbish, no truth in it or the stuff about this 'polish lad'. Your cleaner source is very mistaken.

HughMann wrote: »
    This is absolute rubbish, no truth in it or the stuff about this 'polish lad'. Your cleaner source is very mistaken.

I believed it to be true because I would not post it other wise. If I'm wrong I'm sorry for posting it

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HughMann

I believed it to be true because I would not post it other wise. If I'm wrong I'm sorry for posting it

No problem, that is why I said your source was mistaken not you. This sort of post could put current or future applicants off though, that's why I addressed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭CiboC

My slot is in the morning and don't want a flat tire or similar stranding me somewhere 100km from Shannon!

I got my slot on Tuesday afternoon, will be driving down from Dublin in the morning and heading back afterwards.

Never considered getting stuck on the way, thanks for putting that in my head....:eek::)

If anyone wants to share a lift down PM me...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EIN123

Hi All,
    I have been very fortunate in that I have been called back for a group interview for the Student Controller programme in August. I have looked everywhere online and I am just wondering that if you are successful with the final interview and are offered the job, when does the 16 month training course commence and is the course like a college scenario in the sense that you are in studying Monday-Friday with the weekends off? Also do students get time off throughout the year?
    Thank you in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

EIN123 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I have been very fortunate in that I have been called back for a group interview for the Student Controller programme in August. I have looked everywhere online and I am just wondering that if you are successful with the final interview and are offered the job, when does the 16 month training course commence and is the course like a college scenario in the sense that you are in studying Monday-Friday with the weekends off? Also do students get time off throughout the year?
    Thank you in advance!

It's more intense than your average ' college scenario '. Expect to be spending several hours a night during the week (yes it is Monday to Friday) revising, and also a good number on the weekend. What you put in yourself obviously dictates what you'll get out of it, and you wouldn't want to scrape through bit-by-bit to then get kicked out in the second year when it catches up with you.

Not sure about the time off, but I don't think there's anything substantial given (open to be corrected).

Best of luck all attending group interviews this week! See you in the tower!

Emails are going out it seems - delighted to be put through to final interview next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭CiboC

Congratulations, I didn't make it through this round....:(

Best of luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pico24

Didn't get thru aswell.. gutted

All the best for all in final interview

Anyone who went for interview hear anything back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mark.E89

Anyone who went for interview hear anything back yet?

Nothing yet, the wait is killing me! Good to know others havn't recieved anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeltaOscar

Nothing here either. Was told 1-2 weeks so my guess is Friday.

DeltaOscar wrote: »
    Nothing here either. Was told 1-2 weeks so my guess is Friday.

Jenny sent out emails this morning stating that results are still being reviewed....
    Hopefully will get the feedback this week if not another week to go then :-(

Yeah got the same this morning! probably means next week now sadly :/

• Advertisement

Emails going out this morning...

yup got mine this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JKlopp

Did anybody else make it to the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JKlopp

I applied for the student controller programme to become an air traffic controller and was successful. Training starts in 2018. Is there anyone that has any details about the training and the costs of training and living in shannon for 16 months? I know you don't get paid and thats why I'm asking this question. I'd like to hear from someone who's gone through the programme recently or even someone that's still going through it. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Can anyone post a brief account of an average day of an Ar Traffic Controller with regard to shift patters, duties, breaks, salary and annual leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Can anyone post a brief account of an average day of an Ar Traffic Controller with regard to shift patters, duties, breaks, salary and annual leave?

Breaks, salary and annual leave all on an average day? Sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cilarra

Hey guys anyone else get in? Get in contact and we could possibly get a group chat going or something thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jobinphilip

I submitted application online for the Air Traffic Controller career in IAA. Bit worried because my LC results are not that great, but I have the minimum requirements. Just want to know how long I have to wait to get the results and how can I prepare for the aptitude test if I'm picked to do it. How hard is the maths and problem solving quiz? How many people applied for this programme last year?
    Would be great if anyone could answer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

If you meet the requirements, you will be invited to sit an aptitude test when they next run the recruitment process. This could be in a month, it could be in 2 years.

Details on aptitude test around the place online, including here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEAST_test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Hamez92

Shift pattern in Shannon is five days on, three days off. It's really more like 4 days on, 4 days off. If you start your first shift on a Monday at 11.30am, you finish your fifth shift at around 7-8am on Friday morning. You then start your next twist at 11.30am on Tuesday and finish on Saturday morning. Then it's Wednesday to Sunday......etc

Breaks: Maximum 2 hours work before 30 minute break. Lunch is 60-90 mins

Starting salary including allowances is around €47k

Annual leave starts at 30 days.

Advertisement