Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venting bathrooms to roof space?

• 12-02-2017 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

I was up helping out a mate trace some network cables in his roof space and came across something that didn't seem right so thought I'd ask about it here?

There are several en suit bathrooms that are vented directly into the roof space and I wondered if that is normal? The short lengths of ducting all have fans on them and there isn't any heat recovery system. House is less than 10 years old with a more recent 3yo extension.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Do they continue through the roof and vented out through a roof tile?
    I also have ensuits that are vented up through the roof space and connected to a vent tile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Nope just go up into the roof space and stop there. None of the ducts go to the outside. One just has a bit of wavin pipe over the ceiling fan it so the loose fill insulation doesn't interfere with it. The other has a longer tumble dryer type flexible vent with the end tied to a beam.

my3cents wrote: »
    Nope just go up into the roof space and stop there. None of the ducts go to the outside. One just has a bit of wavin pipe over the ceiling fan it so the loose fill insulation doesn't interfere with it. The other has a longer tumble dryer type flexible vent with the end tied to a beam.

Really bad work from the original builder.

kceire wrote: »
    Really bad work from the original builder.

He's on another job on the same site and I've been told he said its normal practice on new builds :D

He's on another job on the same site and I've been told he said its normal practice on new builds :D

Contact Building Control of the local council. Tell them what's happening. They love to be made aware of these especially if it's on a site they are not inspecting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

I used to see this a lot when snagging houses. I could say 8 times out of 10 the fans were not vented to the outside. It only come across it once in a while now.
    Electricians fit & wire the fans but technically speaking who's job is it to pipe to the outside? It is a disgrace the way some builders leave them to vent into the attic!

Thanks, I've passed the info on and its now on a long list of things that need to be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Mine was vented to a roof tile vent, on the other side of the loft, so the flexible pipe ran across the insulation about 5m, then up and out about 1m above.

Nice big collection of stale water in the middle of the pipe when I went about disconnecting it.

Silly thing is, there was a 4" pipe in the attic directly to a wall vent so why didn't they just connect it to that?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marlay

Found same in our attic a while ago. Short length of flexible pipe that was not connected to anything. But if connecting to a roof tile, you'll likely also need to change the extractor fan. If it's a really cheap axial fan it's most likely not suitable for venting to a roof tile, so would need to be changed to a centrifugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I was up helping out a mate trace some network cables in his roof space and came across something that didn't seem right so thought I'd ask about it here?

There are several en suit bathrooms that are vented directly into the roof space and I wondered if that is normal? The short lengths of ducting all have fans on them and there isn't any heat recovery system. House is less than 10 years old with a more recent 3yo extension.

IFF the roof space is well ventilated, with breathable felt then its not the worst form of building work: I agree not ideal: but am sure a lot worse stuff is covered up.
    However if the roof felt is black bitumen stuff, with no ventilation at eaves etc and maybe a Dutch hip roof then it's defo Lee Roy Brown time.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

The roof felt is I suspect breathable its sort of a slightly "fluffy" white material that looks to be as much insulation as barrier to water but still only a mm or so thick.

The house is kept very warm and the roof space is also warm compared to most but colder than the house.

The eves are full of vents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The roof felt is I suspect breathable its sort of a slightly "fluffy" white material that looks to be as much insulation as barrier to water but still only a mm or so thick.

The house is kept very warm and the roof space is also warm compared to most but colder than the house.

The eves are full of vents.

Thanks then I would not worry about it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement