Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How polite are groups to each when on the road?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Deagol wrote: »
    .. the ones that don't respond tend to be the super kitted up types .. I guess some people take themselves way too seriously ...

Or, maybe it's the ones who expect everyone to wave at them who take themselves too seriously.

I never wave unless I know the person or group. I'll acknowledge with a nod or raised finger, but I never go checking whether they nod back or not - who cares. People who expects perfect strangers to wave at them every time are perhaps taking their cycling a bit too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I don't wave when I'm in the car, plus there are sufficient cyclists on the road now for it not to be unusual so no don't wave when on the bike. Too busy enjoying my music tbh.

If I was on a remote road in the wesht I'd wave if I was in the car, and probably when on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I always acknowledge other cyclists while I'm out on a spin, if I notice them, and couldn't care less if they return the gesture or not.

tbh it's probably something that people who cycle every day don't bother with and probably reserved for the part-timers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth mentioning that if i'm out on the bike on country roads and pass joggers or dog walkers, especially in places where you've to move out to avoid them (i guess, in short, on roads without footpaths), i'll also have a hello for them too.

unless they're moving the same direction as me on the same side of the road (i.e. facing away from me); i won't say hello for fear of scaring the bejesus out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

I always wave/smile or say hello 9/10 I get a greeting back. It is just a nice friendly thing to do It makes me feel more like a cyclist instead of a "Fred". If you see a sweaty fat girl on a bike give her a wave it could be me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Unless the rider is in a club jersey/club group I won't wave/nod.Too many Freds out there now that don't respond back.

I'm not in a club and almost always on my own so i must be a "fred". Do I have to get rid of the bike now then? Hate this attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I'm not in a club and almost always on my own so i must be a "fred". Do I have to get rid of the bike now then? Hate this attitude.

Don't worry- what is being discussed here is of little or no consequence to cycling; just lads looking to create a debate about nothing.
    Nothing to see; keep cycling and let people's individual mannerisms not colour your experience of riding a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Unless the rider is in a club jersey/club group I won't wave/nod.Too many Freds out there now that don't respond back.

:( the type that when I acknowledge and get no response, I quietly say to myself " fcuk you too"
    Absolutely no need for it , manners cost nothing.
    Met about 20 or so cyclists yesterday, all but one waved, nodded , or simply moved hands on the hood... my usual mode of saying hello :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Club cyclists are a mystery to me. I cycle when I need to go from A to B. Those people cycle for exercise but I`ll bet they use their cars to go somewhere for a reason. I strongly recommend cycling as a mood of everyday transport (when possible). Not only do you save a lot if you can go car free but you will also be limiting your carbon footprint. Also, considering the amount of time you spend driving and exercising every week, it may be worthwhile combining the two and simply walk or cycle as a mode of transport.

• Advertisement

I encounter 50-80 cyclists on a daily basis. If I was cycling the whole route behind a guy waving at everyone, I'd assume he was either Mr Popularity and knew everyone on the road or a bit touched in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Simple movement of fingers off the hood usually gets a similar response or nod.... we're not talking about a Forest Gump mode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Always give a wave of the finger's off the hood... Might adjust that wave a bit with the anti tri club stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

unless they're moving the same direction as me on the same side of the road (i.e. facing away from me); i won't say hello for fear of scaring the bejesus out of them.

Indeed. Shouted out a big cheery hello to one of my neighbours one morning while heading out for a spin. Nearly ended up doing CPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Now the real question is what about when you are out piloting on the tandem?

Twice the number of waves (but most of them are for Tom) :)
    Club cyclists are a mystery to me. I cycle when I need to go from A to B. Those people cycle for exercise but I`ll bet they use their cars to go somewhere for a reason. I strongly recommend cycling as a mood of everyday transport (when possible). Not only do you save a lot if you can go car free but you will also be limiting your carbon footprint. Also, considering the amount of time you spend driving and exercising every week, it may be worthwhile combining the two and simply walk or cycle as a mode of transport.

What an incredible assumption. The majority of my club-mates clock up big mileage not just on club spins but on daily commutes also. Do you know any club cyclists? Have you ever spoken to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Club cyclists are a mystery to me. I cycle when I need to go from A to B. Those people cycle for exercise but I`ll bet they use their cars to go somewhere for a reason....
    So what is this 'A to B' you speak of? Tipping 500m down to the corner shop to get the Herald?

I can guarantee you that most club cyclists will clock up many more kms in non-club rides than the average 'A to B' cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I am in a club but never wear my club gear on rides til the summer. Generally just all black. Most of my spins are also done solo. The post you quoted is relying on his own experience, which would be similar to mine. I wave constantly and give the odd Morning or Afternoon on spins in NCD and out Howth way.

I am yet to have a wave returned by anyone wearing a high viz jacket, GAA shorts over their kit, on a flat bar, wearing their helmet sideways, wearing runners on flat pedals, etc. They see the wave and stare ahead. You can tKe all the offence you want about the assumptions I make from that, but "Freds" can go **** themselves, I don't bother anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm a pure culchie. I wave or nod the head at everyone. If they don't respond I just assume they're townies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I am in a club but never wear my club gear on rides til the summer. Generally just all black. Most of my spins are also done solo. The post you quoted is relying on his own experience, which would be similar to mine. I wave constantly and give the odd Morning or Afternoon on spins in NCD and out Howth way.

I am yet to have a wave returned by anyone wearing a high viz jacket, GAA shorts over their kit, on a flat bar, wearing their helmet sideways, wearing runners on flat pedals, etc. They see the wave and stare ahead. You can tKe all the offence you want about the assumptions I make from that, but "Freds" can go **** themselves, I don't bother anymore.

He wasn't talking about the high viz/ gaa shorts people, he was making the assumption that anyone not in a club is a fred. In my opinion people with that attitude can go **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

He wasn't talking about the high viz/ gaa shorts people, he was making the assumption that anyone not in a club is a fred. In my opinion people with that attitude can go **** themselves.

I might have stated it badly,so just to be clear.If I see a cyclist coming towards me I will not wave at them if they are not in a club jersey.

If the non club jersey wearing cyclist waves/nods at me I return the wave/nod.

I have never ever seen a cyclist wave/nod at me and not returned the friendly gesture.
    I hope I don't have to f3*k myself with my attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Met 3 different clubs yesterday while I was out on our club spin, all waved back to us and said hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

That's not what I took from it at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Club cyclists are a mystery to me. I cycle when I need to go from A to B. Those people cycle for exercise but I`ll bet they use their cars to go somewhere for a reason.
    maybe they also do it because they enjoy it?
    you could dismiss any leisure or sport activity based on the argument you seem to be making.

"Freds" can go **** themselves, I don't bother anymore.

Had to google this one

https://biskey7.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bicycling-are-you-a-fred/
    Fred is a derisive term used by “serious” road cyclists to describe other cyclists who do not conform to serious road cyclists’ norms with regard to dress and equipment, and appear amateurish to them.

Holy **** I've never been happier to be a Fred :rolleyes:

is it a bit like 'bitchy resting face', a term invented purely for humour that some people have seized upon as An Actual Thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm a pure culchie. I wave or nod the head at everyone. If they don't respond I just assume they're townies ;)

This is the end of the debate. All in a nutshell. Can an admin now close this thread :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I might have stated it badly,so just to be clear.If I see a cyclist coming towards me I will not wave at them if they are not in a club jersey.
    so you're blaming non club cyclists (call them what you will) for not waving, but won't wave to them unless they wave first?
    you do realise that your approach is self-perpetuating; that if everyone followed that approach, no one would be waving to anyone and feeling sore that no-one waves at them.

waving at, or acknowledging another cyclist, is not something where someone has gotten one up on you if they don't respond.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

???? Most club cyclists I know do. Only way to keep the miles. What about those people who want to go from A to A and have 10 hours to do it, would you rather they just sit down at A?
    is it a bit like 'bitchy resting face', a term invented purely for humour that some people have seized upon as An Actual Thing?
    I know alot of people who suffer from Resting Bitch Face. It is definitely a real thing. A close friend of mine often opens conversations up with, I am not a bitch, I just look like this when I am not thinking about anything, don't take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

so you're blaming non club cyclists (call them what you will) for not waving, but won't wave to them unless they wave first?
    you do realise that your approach is self-perpetuating; that if everyone followed that approach, no one would be waving to anyone and feeling sore that no-one waves at them.

waving at, or acknowledging another cyclist, is not something where someone has gotten one up on you if they don't respond.

Correct,maybe Im old school,but back in the 80's when I 1st joined a club it was taught to me to wave at youre fellow cyclist out on the roads.I've done this till about 3 years ago.
    But I have stopped waving 1st at non club jersey wearing cyclist as most of the time they just ignore me.I just got a pain with them and their rudeness.
    If they wave at me of course I always wave/nod back.I find joggers reply back 99% of the time,but find it annoying that some sections of fellow cyclist don't.

• Advertisement

Correct,maybe Im old school,but back in the 80's when I 1st joined a club it was taught to me to wave at youre fellow cyclist out on the roads.I've done this till about 3 years ago.
    But I have stopped waving 1st at non club jersey wearing cyclist as most of the time they just ignore me.I just got a pain with them and their rudeness.
    If they wave at me of course I always wave/nod back.I find joggers reply back 99% of the time,but find it annoying that some sections of fellow cyclist don't.

Just curious, do you wave at all motorists when you are driving as well?

Advertisement