Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have PGCE trying to register with Teaching Council- level of detail needed

Options
  • 12-02-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hello,
    I'm really hoping there is someone out there who can help. I graduated from NUIG in 2003. I did my PGCE in the UK and have been teaching overseas for the last few years. I'm trying to register with the TCI but having trouble finding module descriptions for stuff I studied 18 years ago! The information on the website only begins in 2001. Plus I don't know what level of detail the TCI want. Can anyone who has gone through registering with the TCI tell me what was accepted from NUIG or any Irish university as module descriptions and where you got them. Private message me if you'd prefer. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Cateym wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm really hoping there is someone out there who can help. I graduated from NUIG in 2003. I did my PGCE in the UK and have been teaching overseas for the last few years. I'm trying to register with the TCI but having trouble finding module descriptions for stuff I studied 18 years ago! The information on the website only begins in 2001. Plus I don't know what level of detail the TCI want. Can anyone who has gone through registering with the TCI tell me what was accepted from NUIG or any Irish university as module descriptions and where you got them. Private message me if you'd prefer. Thanks so much.

I would email the department from whom you want the module descriptor and they will more than likely have that on file somewhere. I did that a few years ago and they helped me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'll just copy my post from another thread on this here:

My experience was that the TC was completely inflexible. I needed to provide actual timetables for each semester from a degree I had finished several years previously in an Irish university but the university didn't have any such records. They ended up contacting retired lecturers and past students to see if anyone happened to have copies hidden away anywhere and eventually (it took over a year) all the information was obtained. I was so grateful to the course director for all their help and realised how lucky I was that they had gone to such trouble. The TC would accept nothing else.

Another woman I know flew to Italy to try get proof of a year spent in an Italian university in the 1970s. I think she gave up in the end as she couldn't satisfy the TC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mayberry

Hi

You need to ring the university and ask them for certified copies of your university transcripts year by year. Note: This normally costs you. That's all I did. You will need to do the same with your PGCE. Once you have these documents they will be fine.

What stage of the process are you? Once you have all your documents in order they will award you a provisional teaching council number for 3 years. You will have to 1. Complete an exam in the history and structure of the Irish education system 2. Complete 300 hours of teaching in your subject 3. Complete newly qualified teacher night classes on an education centre (I kid you not!). Once all this is done you will be registered fully, unless you forget to renew your membership to the teaching council and the whole process starts again from scratch!

Don't give up and keep ringing. 15 phone calls later and they finally accepted that I didn't need to have completed a years teaching in the uk( this is a post 2011 requirement ). I have a book that will help you with the exam if you need me to send it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ianc4000

Mayberry wrote:
    What stage of the process are you? Once you have all your documents in order they will award you a provisional teaching council number for 3 years. You will have to 1. Complete an exam in the history and structure of the Irish education system 2. Complete 300 hours of teaching in your subject 3. Complete newly qualified teacher night classes on an education centre (I kid you not!). Once all this is done you will be registered fully, unless you forget to renew your membership to the teaching council and the whole process starts again from scratch!

Do you know if i can teach in ireland with a pgce?.
    I am just finishing my degree in ireland and would like to do primary school teacher. But in order to get the qualification in ireland i would have to do another 2 years with hibernia.
    I am thinking of doing pgce in uk instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mayberry

ianc4000 wrote: »
    Do you know if i can teach in ireland with a pgce?.
    I am just finishing my degree in ireland and would like to do primary school teacher. But in order to get the qualification in ireland i would have to do another 2 years with hibernia.
    I am thinking of doing pgce in uk instead.

Hi

I only know about secondary teaching. You can teach secondary with a pgce but be aware that although the pgce in the U.K is only one year you will have to complete a full years work in the u.k in order to be accepted by the teaching council in Ireland. In this year you will be mentored and your lessons observed as you are a newly qualified teacher. This requirement came in for people who gained their pgce after 2011.

• Advertisement
Advertisement