Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some guidance with a storage heater

Options
  • 12-02-2017 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I feel a little stupid on this but I'm struggling to get this storage heater to work and produce heat in any circumstances.

I've attached two pictures.

Picture 1;
    The storage heater itself.
    It has two dials on top, both numbered 1 to 6.
    The left is output, the right is input.

On the side it has a switch, and another dial with no description and is numbered 1 to 5. When I turn the dial between 1 and 2 the switch lights red. When I turn the dial greater than 2 the light on the switch turns off.

Picture 2;

Two switches on the wall beside the storage heater.
    No idea what either do but I assume they relate to the heater as there is nothing else in that corner other than a 5 amp plug we use for a floor lamp, neither switch effects the lamp.

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Google instructions for storage heaters and you will be an expert in no time.
    They are all basically the same.
    Some have built in fan heaters but mostly they work the same way.
    Input is the amount of heat it takes in at night and output is the rate the heat gets released at.
    Turn the output to zero at night and when you want the heat to be released turn it up to whatever is comfortable.
    Trial and error is the only way really.
    Like I said Google instructions and you will be an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

"On the side it has a switch, and another dial with no description and is numbered 1 to 5. When I turn the dial between 1 and 2 the switch lights red. When I turn the dial greater than 2 the light on the switch turns off."

Can you double check this statement please?
    Are you sure it is not that the light comes on at a certain point while raising the dial setting?
    ie. Energising light/heat when you raise the temp requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

I've now learnt that that is the convection heater switch. Which is either broke or it is as efficient as a fan in space.

It only lights up when the dial is on 1, initially I thought it was between 1 and 2 but I was wrong. If I turn the dial to anything greater than 1 the light on the rocker switch goes out.
    I've since left everything in the on position with that dial at 4 and 5 but it made no difference.

I've also removed the front panel and hit the cutout reset tab but that too didn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

If you have reset it inside,the elements inside are most likely what's wrong

I disagree on elements being the issue.
    It does seem that, assuming all wiring ok, that the control-stat/switch assembly is faulty.
    Aside, did you hear the reset actually click?

I would suggest you identify which switch on wall controls this and tape it in off position until you get a repair on the convection heater, as the fault could develop.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help.
    I'll ring the management company and ask them to come have a look. I thought it was possibly something I was/wasn't doing right.

Andrea B. wrote: »
    I disagree on elements being the issue.
    It does seem that, assuming all wiring ok, that the control-stat/switch assembly is faulty.
    Aside, did you hear the reset actually click?

There was no click from it. I had read on one or two threads that others hadn't heard a click when they pushed it in, probably irrelevant for my situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

I have a couple of storage heaters with no brand name in house and the construction looks about twenty years old. The heaters have no brand name visible but have model number 79152 and 'Made in UK' on them. Anyone know this make?
    They are wired directly to a single wall switch and at 10 or 11 in the evening we can hear the power 'clicking in'. Depending on weather forecast and current weather we turn up or down the 'Overnight Charge' dial and zero the Room Temperature dial. My good wife is trying to convince me that if we don't turn down the overnight change dial to zero early each morning - no, not 7 am - that the heaters will also use electricity during the peak hours/daytime. I d9isagreeObviously we turn up the room temperature dial each morning as the need arises. I disagree. So who is correct as I'm always open to learning?
    We also have one fan assisted ditto which has an extra dial and switch on the side. I understand that it can use electricity high or low tarrif at any time IF the second switch is turned to ON.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

PMBC wrote: »
    I have a couple of storage heaters with no brand name in house and the construction looks about twenty years old. The heaters have no brand name visible but have model number 79152 and 'Made in UK' on them. Anyone know this make?
    They are wired directly to a single wall switch and at 10 or 11 in the evening we can hear the power 'clicking in'. Depending on weather forecast and current weather we turn up or down the 'Overnight Charge' dial and zero the Room Temperature dial. My good wife is trying to convince me that if we don't turn down the overnight change dial to zero early each morning - no, not 7 am - that the heaters will also use electricity during the peak hours/daytime. I d9isagreeObviously we turn up the room temperature dial each morning as the need arises. I disagree. So who is correct as I'm always open to learning?
    We also have one fan assisted ditto which has an extra dial and switch on the side. I understand that it can use electricity high or low tarrif at any time IF the second switch is turned to ON.

Ignore first paragraph re make - google told me they at Creda. Thanks

PMBC wrote: »

You are correct wrt to storage heater.
    On fan assist, I believe, it is always high tariff unless you have a seperate nightsaver rate which would cover all house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement