Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baselayer for under jersey

Options
  • 12-02-2017 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a recommendation for a baselayer for early racing, water repellant and reasonably windproof if possible.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Invincible

dahat wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation for a baselayer for early racing, water repellant and reasonably windproof if possible.

Any suggestions?

Have Canterbury and Clinch Gear baselayers,not sure about water repellent but they have mostuire wicking properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Invincible wrote: »
    Have Canterbury and Clinch Gear baselayers,not sure about water repellent but they have mostuire wicking properties.

Was just looking at the UA cold gear one, looks about the best pick.

Was just looking at the UA cold gear one, looks about the best pick.

CRC?
    Heard UA mentioned on radio, could be on offer :-)

CRC?

CRC?
    Local Elverys with a 15% from 3plus.

CRC?

CRC?
    Local Elverys with a 15% from 3plus.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/base-layers?keywordRedirectTerm=base+layer&_requestid=1916596

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

Would you go for a Merino wool baselayer?

https://www.urbanfrog.ie/p/blueflame_long_sleeve_200gsm

G1032 wrote: »
    Would you go for a Merino wool baselayer?

https://www.urbanfrog.ie/p/blueflame_long_sleeve_200gsm

I have a Galibier but it's rather loose fitting and as the jersey is SS I'm after a tight LS one.

Also the red LS won't match the club jersey, ideally all black.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd expect a "water repellent" base layer would leave you sweating profusely. The Agu Secco baselayer is tight fitting, and the front is a different fabric that is good for wind. I've a few of them. They wick sweat reasonably well, in that you'll feel them, but your skin will generally be pretty dry.

Planet X used to do them cheap, but Planet X Ireland do them too for a bit more.

http://planetxireland.com/products-page/clothing/agu-secco-windproofshort-sleeve-baselayer/

Just saw you wanted long sleeve. Ehm, combine with nanoflex armwarmers maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

I have a Galibier but it's rather loose fitting and as the jersey is SS I'm after a tight LS one.

Also the red LS won't match the club jersey, ideally all black.

Like this black one!!
    https://www.urbanfrog.ie/p/mens_black_long_sleeve_200gsm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

A number of brands produce base layers with a windproof front. Castelli certainly do (I have one and like it), I think that Craft do too, and there are others. None of the ones I've come across are water resitant though.

Rapha do at least one water resistant base layer, short sleeve only I think. I'm not sure if it is windproof though but those two features often go hand in hand. Or wear a Gabba, or equivalent, under your club jersey.

Water resistance in base layers is tricky to get right, I'd imagine. Usually the more water resistant a material is the less breathable it is too. And as a base layer will by definition have at least one layer on top of it, breathability needs to be high on its list of features or it will be very uncomfortable to use and especially when racing. Probably one of the reasons that the likes of the Gabba jersey are so prevalent whereas base layers with the same features seem to be rare, an effective water resistant, windproof, and breathable outer layer is probably easier to achieve.

Re merino, I'm a big fan of merino base layers, but the one set of circumstances where I've had issues is when it has been persistently wet and cold. Merino still insulates even when wet, but because it remains wet a persistent cold wind can eventually cut through a wet outer layer and the wet merino too. Probably less of a likelihood in a race assuming you are working hard throughout but something synthetic that wicks better than merino would be my first choice there (though I'd probably wear a second base layer in those circumstances, just for extra insulation, and in that case I wouldn't want the inner base layer to be windproof).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

A water repellent, windproof base layer is an unusual requirement. Usually, the base layer traps a layer of warm air next to the skin, while also hopefully wicking away sweat. Outside the base layer you have a jersey, or a jacket, or both, or a Gabba-equivalent jersey/jacket, depending on conditions. This second garment (maybe third, if it's cold) does the wind-proof and water-resistant/proof bit. If the outer garment is short-sleeve, you may add arm-warmers. My usual not-hellish-weather winter combo is a merino base layer and a Gabba with nanoflex arm warmers...and a goretex in the back pocket for long descents or if the rain gets going.

A wind-proof base-layer is going to be sweaty. I'd be happy to be corrected, but my experiments in this area (usually trying a windslam or similar product, next to the skin) are generally a bit manky. A waterproof one is going to be even worse, like wearing a plastic bag.

So, with apologies to the OP, I think that what's being looked for here is two garments, not one.

Thanks all for the input...

Just bought an Under Armour Cold gear, unforgiving for bit exactly what I wanted under a jersey.

Dispensed with water and/or windproof for reasons above, will need some sort of air flowing through the body.

Advertisement