Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BREAKING: Woman killed in cycling accident in Kildare 12th Feb

Options
13»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've deleted a couple of posts

A little reminder:
    Beasty wrote: »
    This thread is for condolences

Any questions PM me
    Please do not bring any other discussion into the thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

It's heartbreaking reading these pieces. As a fellow cyclist who knows that road well, it's sad & shocking news. My sympathies to the family, friends & the club.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bigus wrote: »

Terribly sad, I see from the article she lived just around the corner from me. My thoughts and condolences to her folks. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

what a terrible tragedy. so young and the whole of her life ahead of her. condolences to her family and friends. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭InTheAttic

My deepest condolences to the poor woman, her family and friends and to anyone else affected by this tradgedy.

It's all to easy to forget how vulnerable we are on the road, while doing what we love.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I get notification on 2 threads at the moment. This one (as I expressed my condolences above) and one about whether its ok to wear pro-jerseys or not. The latter is tongue and cheek, frivolous fun, and then there is this thread. The contrast is stark reflecting the nature of our sport / hobby / commute like very few that I know.
    I have come home from a club-league race to tell my wife that there was a death. My club has lost 2 amazing men in the prime their lives indirectly around the sport (i.e. not accidental death). Co-workers (mainly golfers) joke when I mention that my Thursday night went belly-up because we could not get an ambulance to cover the race. This is what I refer to when I think we are different.
    Like many (I assume) on this thread, I'm wondering how this happened and reflect on how this could have been any of us or to our closest friends. As a father, husband, brother and friend, I wonder am I selfish doing this sport? Am I next? I dont have an answer.
    I read that Tonya loved cycling. Maybe she has the answer, If she does, I hope she rests in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

As a follow-up to this thread, Tonya's sister Ciara is doing a cycle in her memory in aid of the Crumlin Hospital. The same event last year was one of Tonya's biggest achievements in cycling, and she was signed up to do it again this year. Great to see her sister taking on the mantle - with the extra funds raised some good might come from this tragedy.

https://www.gofundme.com/gvb2un-crumlin-childrens-hospital

Any RTs appreciated:
    https://twitter.com/Orwell_Wheelers/status/854990999520768000

Advertisement