Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Topaz, Usher's Quay Dublin

• 12-02-2017 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭

According to pumps.ie the petrol station on ushers has rebraned to a Topaz

The new owners of Topaz must be oblivious of the history that stn had under that banner

(I know Topaz bought Esso a year or so, ago)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The only issues (that we know of) there when it was topaz was the price. The short metering happened when it was One Oil/Top. Topaz won't care. They're just into making money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The only issues (that we know of) there when it was topaz was the price. The short metering happened when it was One Oil/Top. Topaz won't care. They're just into making money.

It'll all be Circle K soon

mikeecho wrote: »
    It'll all be Circle K soon

lol after all the money spent on Re:Store :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Here release of plan...

So topaz brand would remain yeah?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So topaz brand would remain yeah?

Don't think so.

Couche Tard, own statoil and a few others across Europe, and they are planning on changing all of them to Circle K.

So , I reckon topaz will be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Re.Store and Circle K have the same brand colours, set up in the same store layouts. All for the logo you wouldn't know a difference.

Wouldn't be shocked if the Re.Store brand was created with this in mind and they're just going to swap logo's and branded goods when the switch happens.

Re.Store and Circle K have the same brand colours, set up in the same store layouts. All for the logo you wouldn't know a difference.

Wouldn't be shocked if the Re.Store brand was created with this in mind and they're just going to swap logo's and branded goods when the switch happens.

Some stores were using the circle k cups lately.

Going by this:

http://corpo.couche-tard.com/en/our-company/our-brands/global-circle-k/

Maybe the Topaz brand will stay, and only the shop rebraned, they only mention East and central Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

What shocks me is the absolute lack of competition.

Topaz, Applegreen and Maxol are now really the only brands left.

I should open a Lukoil franchise and offer 98 octane petrol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Won't shop at Topaz thanks to our old Bond Villain media mogul

• Advertisement

He doesn't own it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

polan wrote: »
    What shocks me is the absolute lack of competition.

Topaz, Applegreen and Maxol are now really the only brands left.

I should open a Lukoil franchise and offer 98 octane petrol :D

Petrol is oligopolistic. There is no real competition.

Today's word is oligopolistic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

everlast75 wrote: »
    Won't shop at Topaz thanks to our old Bond Villain media mogul

The 2 cent higher than everyone else usually stops me.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Petrol is oligopolistic. There is no real competition.

Imagine opening up a 98/99 octane petrol station in Dublin. Every sportscar owner guaranteed to be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There's a pretty much constant queue to get in there, which might have more to do with no one letting people out, but I don't reckon they'll have much trouble turning a tidy profit regardless of the history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Imagine opening up a 98/99 octane petrol station in Dublin. Every sportscar owner guaranteed to be there

Sadly you pretty much cant due to the way the government tax 98/99, that's why it disappeared in the first place :(

Oooh, that's interesting! Care to tell me more?

Oooh, that's interesting! Care to tell me more?

I think it works out circa 30%+ dearer than "normal" petrol, there was a change in the tax rates circa 10 years ago..... I tend to use maxol petrol and it seems the best so far, gives the knock resistance of 96-97 ish on the dyno fairly consistently for me :)

rex-x wrote: »
    I think it works out circa 30%+ dearer than "normal" petrol, there was a change in the tax rates circa 10 years ago..... I tend to use maxol petrol and it seems the best so far, gives the knock resistance of 96-97 ish on the dyno fairly consistently for me :)

I filled my 6 pot with ARAL 102 in Germany back in 2014. That engine was so happy, felt like a totally different car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are octane booster additives any good?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Are octane booster additives any good?

There are a few good ones but they are not cheap, 20 quid on top of a tank of fuel makes them uneconomical, lots of snake oil out there too sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

According to pumps.ie the petrol station on ushers has rebraned to a Topaz

The new owners of Topaz must be oblivious of the history that stn had under that banner

(I know Topaz bought Esso a year or so, ago)

Can I ask what the history of the station your on about?? Not from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

md323 wrote: »
    Can I ask what the history of the station your on about?? Not from Dublin.

Laundered fuel.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

And the fact that the usher island petrol station had perhaps most expensive pump prices in the country back in the early 2000's - something to do with fooling tourists just off the ferries and heading out west I believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Some stores were using the circle k cups lately.

Going by this:

http://corpo.couche-tard.com/en/our-company/our-brands/global-circle-k/

Maybe the Topaz brand will stay, and only the shop rebraned, they only mention East and central Europe

Couche Tard initially drove the Circle K global strategy to get away from the restrictions that came from running sites under brands owned by the oil majors (i.e. Shell, Statoil, etc). The oil majors all have fairly detailed brand and image guidelines that are supposed to be followed by anyone who runs a site under their branding.
    That problem doesn't exist with Topaz seeing as Couche Tard own the brand now - so it comes down to whether having one global brand is enough justification for the costs of rebranding their sites and launching a new brand into the market.
    Most of the oil majors used to take a blanket approach across regions (i.e. EMEA for us), which would suggest a full rebrand is likely. But CT have been known to do things differently from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

From what I heard at the time of the deal, the rebranding of shops had been planned and roll-out started before Topaz management got wind that DoB was shopping them around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Laundered fuel.....

Are you sure about that?

I thought it was short measures.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Esel wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?

I thought it was short measures.

It was short measures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Laundered fuel.....

That is completely incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

dogmatix wrote: »
    And the fact that the usher island petrol station had perhaps most expensive pump prices in the country back in the early 2000's - something to do with fooling tourists just off the ferries and heading out west I believe?

They're the cheapest now funnily enough. Not sure if it's still dodgy though.

They're the cheapest now funnily enough. Not sure if it's still dodgy though.

Same owners have it now, that had it when there was discrepancies with measurements, and when the prices were astronomical

Out of principle I would never ever stop there.

Advertisement