Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voucher expiry (one week from issue).

Options
  • 12-02-2017 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I bought an iPhone 5 in Limerick in a certain shop that buys and sells second hand electronics, dvds, videos etc. They also scan your keyring to put the warranty on that in case the receipt fades. The phone cost €295.

Less than a month later, the battery died and the phone would barely last 10 minutes with a full charge. So I brought it to the branch in Dublin where I live.

I was told that the warranty wasn't put on the key ring and that the receipt serial number doesn't match the phone serial number and implied that I was trying to pull a fast one. They had to spend 30 minutes on the phone to Limerick "sorting it out".

They eventually got through and started the warranty test and told me that the phone is indeed faulty and that I was getting an exchange.

I was told that there are no iPhone 5 in stock in that particular shop, and that the nearest one is in Newbridge for over €300. So I'd have to drive out AND add my own money to it.

I insisted that I wanted a phone of the same spec, iPhone 5 32GB, or my money back, they said I wasn't entitled. I asked the man behind the counter "what if the only phones available for €295 are of lower spec", his reply was "that's your problem, not mine".

I said, "If you can't repair it, you have to replace it with one of the exact same spec, if you can't do that, then you have to refund me", his reply was "yeah, whatever". (Totally unprofessional).

I eventually (begrudgingly) settled for a phone of slightly lower spec (16 GB less hard drive) for €265 with a credit note on 11th February 2017.

They issued me with a credit note for the difference, but the credit note says Expiry: 18/02/3017.

Should I take it that the note only has one week expiry (and that 3017 is a reasonable misprint) or the voucher has an expiry of 1000 years and 7 days, because that's what's printed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

dfeo wrote: »
    I bought an iPhone 5 in Limerick in a certain shop that buys and sells second hand electronics, dvds, videos etc. They also scan your keyring to put the warranty on that in case the receipt fades. The phone cost €295.

Less than a month later, the battery died and the phone would barely last 10 minutes with a full charge. So I brought it to the branch in Dublin where I live.

I was told that the warranty wasn't put on the key ring and that the receipt serial number doesn't match the phone serial number and implied that I was trying to pull a fast one. They had to spend 30 minutes on the phone to Limerick "sorting it out".

They eventually got through and started the warranty test and told me that the phone is indeed faulty and that I was getting an exchange.

I was told that there are no iPhone 5 in stock in that particular shop, and that the nearest one is in Newbridge for over €300. So I'd have to drive out AND add my own money to it.

I insisted that I wanted a phone of the same spec, iPhone 5 32GB, or my money back, they said I wasn't entitled. I asked the man behind the counter "what if the only phones available for €295 are of lower spec", his reply was "that's your problem, not mine".

I eventually (begrudgingly) settled for a phone of slightly lower spec (16 GB less hard drive) for €265 with a credit note on 11th February 2017.

They issued me with a credit note for the difference, but the credit note says Expiry: 18/02/3017.

Should I take it that the note only has one week expiry (and that 3017 is a reasonable misprint) or the voucher has an expiry of 1000 years and 7 days, because that's what's printed.

Its a 1000 years, I used to work there. Also they should have been able to order in the phone from newbridge for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

ASOT wrote: »
    Its a 1000 years, I used to work there. Also they should have been able to order in the phone from newbridge for you.

I said I wanted it there and then or else sent to my house. They said that I'd have to cover the courier fees if I wanted that.

The phone in Newbridge was over 300. They wanted me to add my own money to meet the value of it. I insisted that I was entitled to a replacement of the exact same spec, and if the one in Newbridge was more expensive, then it's tough luck for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Sounds like you were being completely unreasonable as they are second hand phones.
    No 2 are exactly the same and are not priced the same.

Sounds to me like he did everything he could to help, only for you to be very unhelpful in wanting it there and then. They can only give you what they have in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

RossieMan wrote: »
    Sounds like you were being completely unreasonable as they are second hand phones.
    No 2 are exactly the same and are not priced the same.

Second hand goods does not mean you lose your consumer rights, it just means they may be diminished somewhat. The same rules apply as to a product being fit for purpose, and in this case it quite clearly was not. He was fully entitled to get what he paid for, which was a working iPhone 5 with 32GB of memory.

Since the shop were unable to provide this, and confirmed that they had in fact provided a faulty device, he was entitled to a full refund, an exact replacement (with no additional money to be paid) or a complete repair. It seems to me that the shop was unwilling to provide any of these, which is completely illegal, unprofessional, and ignorant.
    RossieMan wrote: »
    Sounds to me like he did everything he could to help, only for you to be very unhelpful in wanting it there and then. They can only give you what they have in stock.

You must be reading a different thread. The manager should have provided a refund, without sarcastic comments, or arranged for the replacement phone at no extra cost nor charge for delivery. The shop could have done a whole lot more, but didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

A second hand phone with the same specs isn't necessarily the same "grade" and therefore a like for like phone isn't necessarily priced the same. They can also fluctuate. Anybody buying second hand phones knows or should know this.

They probably should have replaced it with the phone from Newbridge FOC and avoided all this hassle, however the OP demanded it there and then (in a different store than it was purchased) or it couriered to his home at no cost is unreasonable. This is basic common sense when buying second hand equipment. They do not have endless stock at hand.

Whether legally they are entitled to a refund I suppose is a different story.

Anyway, it seems they got a phone and credit in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement