Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Moses Basket vs. Crib vs. Other

• 12-02-2017 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi All,

My wife is due May 8th. We´re starting to put together everything at the moment.

Just wondering what´s the best option for the baby to sleep in for the first few months.

Would anyone here recommend using a Moses basket or Bassinet? This is probably a stupid question but we are looking at buying a 3 in one stroller / pram / car seat. Could the pram part be used in place of a Moses basket or what are the key differences here (I know I´m clueless :eek:)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

jimmurt wrote: »
    Hi All,

My wife is due May 8th. We´re starting to put together everything at the moment.

Just wondering what´s the best option for the baby to sleep in for the first few months.

Would anyone here recommend using a Moses basket or Bassinet? This is probably a stupid question but we are looking at buying a 3 in one stroller / pram / car seat. Could the pram part be used in place of a Moses basket or what are the key differences here (I know I´m clueless :eek:)?

If you don't mind having your stroller with pram out then no need for a moses basket. I had one on my first but only felt comfortable using it for about 6 weeks as he had rolled on his side once and it didn't feel that stable

This time round just going for the cot in our room upstairs and a playpen with bassinet level downstairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I ended up using the bassinet from our buggy as our Moses basket as baby slept better in it. It was 'approved for overnight sleeping' however. Not all are. Ended up using Moses basket downstairs for naps. Next time round I intend to get one of those 'next to me' sleepers that attach to the side of your bed. Useful if breastfeeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We got a loan of a moses basket both times so never had to buy our own. Number 1 barely slept in it ( but he barely slept at all!) Number 2 slept in it till 12 weeks and he had a very tough time getting used to the large cot so I'd say we would have been in big trouble without it. Cots are fairly big and draughty. Babies like to feel cosy and safe. I just brought the basket down during the day and he had his naps downstairs in it. Had a travel system too that was suitable for sleeping in. Really it was only useful for naps when out walking. They are fairly big and bulky and get dirty from outside so I wouldn't have liked bringing it into the bedroom.
    We also had a co sleeper side cot for a few months till they both started crawling out of it.
    Basically is say try and borrow or buy second hand anything other than your main cot. You can always sell on or hopefully use on the next kid cos every kid is different and will do things their own way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

If you use the bassinet section as his cot then you'll have to carry it up and downstairs a few times a day, assuming he will be sleeping in your bedroom at night. Is this practical?

We have a Next 2 Me cosleeper and Are happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We bought a next to me at about 6 weeks-best buy ever. Highly recommend it. Downstairs during the day we used the pram part of the buggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

We had a moses basket for about 6-8 weeks on each of ours- same basket did all 3. But it is recommended to change mattress in between. We then moved to a cot and started by putting moses basket into cot first and day naps in cot so baba got used to it. 2nd hand is fine - as you'll find out babies need a LOT of stuff but outgrow everything at an extraordinary speed so 2nd hand is usually excellent quality. I don't think I'd put a newborn straight into a cot as it'd be too large. Other option is something like the Scandinavian hospital box - goggle it. Looks fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

We had the next to me for our second. Only sorry we didn't have it for our first. One of my top buys. We had a Moses basket which I used downstairs but once she hit about 8 weeks I started putting her in her cot in her own room for naps and she slept in the next to me at night up until about 6.5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I wouldn't bother buying a Moses basket. You might get a good while out of one, but if you have a long baby, you might not. My first outgrew it after 2 weeks!!! I used use the pram for naps, but it was a bit of a nuisance to be dragging it in from the car sometimes. As someone else said, if you are using it for night time, make sure it's suitable for that. The uppababy has a stand for the pram also.
    I got a next to me for my second, and I'd give it a big thumbs up. Lasted us ages, and it's still immaculate, and will soon be out again for the third. Well worth the money, and I'd say it'll sell on easy enough too when were finished with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We had a moses basket for the bedroom and used the carrycot from the buggy for naps during the day. She grew out of both of them by 6 weeks and was in her cot full time day and night from 7 weeks.

I loved having the moses basket, but I wouldn't go buying one at the same time because they last for such a short length of time. We were given ours. I don't regret getting the carrycot as such, but at the same time in hindsight probably wouldn't buy it if I was buying it again, especially as we had a moses basket. It does depend though on whether you living in a bungalow or a two storey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

We used pram for downstairs naps and next2me crib for night time. Worked well as a combo but we have lots of space downstairs for the pram to sit.

Pram worked til 4 months but that was pushing it. Next2me is still going strong at almost 5 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

We were gifted a beautiful and expensive Moses basket and stand by a family member for our first. He barely lasted three weeks in it. I felt terrible that it was such a waste of money. He went into the cot at three weeks and was happy out!

If we hadn't already had the basket I wouldn't have bothered getting one for number two. Turns out we got great use out of it second time round! Only moved him into the cot at night when he was 20 weeks and I could have gotten longer but was afraid he'd hate the cot! He naps in the cot now most of the time but had one of his naps in the basket today and he's 24 weeks!

Find the bassinet part of the travel system great for weekends away and when we go stay with family. I still use it daily for walks. Will prob get another month out of it.

Love the sound of the next to me if there's a number three will Defo check them out properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

It really depends on the baby but ours adored his Moses basket. He was born early so he got months of use from his. He absolutely hated his crib as he loved being snuggled up in it. Once he got older it was ok.I know some prams can be used for overnight but to be honest I wouldn't use it for that. Grand for daytime but I think crib etc better for night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sleepymissymoo

Due 2nd baby in May and have just bought a next2me crib. Had Moses basket for first baby who barely slept in it, waste of money. Have a cotbed rather than cot, which was too big to put in our bedroom when moving from Moses basket. hoping the co-sleeper works better this time!! Used pram downstairs for naps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We used the cot I had when I was a baby from newborn.

Tried a moses basket, but the baby just never slept in it.. I think it was too noisy, kinda creaky with the wicker.

Naps were either in the cot or in the buggy (out n about 360 goes flat for sleeping), or if we were out, sometimes slept on me in a sling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

We just moved our daughter to the cot at night, she is six months but its an old moses basket so quite long, we had trouble finding a new mattress for it.

We are still using the pram for daytime naps but again the pram itself is a mamas and papas one that's about 18 years old so the bassinet is quite roomy in it. On a side note we haven't used it as a pram from about 8 weeks because it is so big and bulky.

I'd go with what other recommended and borrow one, we haven't used a side sleeper but they sound great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Re: finding new mattresses for things, we recently had trouble finding a mattress for our co-sleeper cot, and had to order some foam cut-to-size. Worked a treat, and they had specific foam for baby mattresses.

Google spat out a bunch of companies that provide that service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I didn't bother with Moses basket. Used the cot from the get go. Had a small baby born slightly early so would've gotten the max time out of the Moses basket but even still, it's only 3-4 months. This isn't long enough to justify having it lie around in the attic. For day time naps, I used my chest, arms, baby sling, swing chair, pram (which lay flat-fine for day, not overnight), the cot occasionally and other people's arms.

Advertisement