Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelled virgin media, still picking up the legacy cablelink channels

• 12-02-2017 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

Just stuck the coax straight into the tv out of curiosity and boredom, picking up around 18 channels and one "digital" blank channel

Not that ill be watching any of the channels, would this count as stealing? I thought the cablelink service would have been long gone by now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Virgin Media would need to come out and physically disconnect your home from their network. It's not your fault that they haven't so enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Analogue cable channels - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100641814#post100641814

There is no longer an option to subscribe to them and are there if you subscribe to VM's digital TV and/or broadband packages but if you no longer subscribe to either they will remain until they physically disconnect your house from the network as lertsnim posted previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

The Cush wrote: »
    Analogue cable channels - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100641814#post100641814

There is no longer an option to subscribe to them and are there if you subscribe to VM's digital TV and/or broadband packages but if you no longer subscribe to either they will remain until they physically disconnect your house from the network as lertsnim posted previously.

Will they eventually disconnect the incoming connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Doubt theyll bother as it makes life easier if someone resubscribes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I remember cancelling Sky a few years back and waiting for them to switch the signal off I got the best part of the year of free sky before the blocked the card. So you never know you could get a certain lenght of time out of them but then again you could get that knock on the door.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I remember cancelling Sky a few years back and waiting for them to switch the signal off I got the best part of the year of free sky before the blocked the card. So you never know you could get a certain lenght of time out of them but then again you could get that knock on the door.

He's not waiting for the Grim Reaper!

Virgin Media will probably never knock on the OP's door, they don't need access to the inside of your house to physically cut off the signal altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Will they eventually disconnect the incoming connection?

They will eventually put an anti-theft device blocking the signal from outside could take months....if someone re-subscribes then simply remove this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,942 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Next time someone is getting a new connection in the area they may disconnect the cable (and put a lock on the port that was in use if its overhead). They may never bother.

• Advertisement

I used to live in an apartment in Drumcondra and UPC, as they were, accidentally disconnected me instead of one of the other apartments. Had to call them to reconnect me. So they do disconnect, maybe not very often though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Karsini wrote: »
    I used to live in an apartment in Drumcondra and UPC, as they were, accidentally disconnected me instead of one of the other apartments. Had to call them to reconnect me. So they do disconnect, maybe not very often though.

Since I left working for UPC in limerick very little disconnects have been done lol

Advertisement