Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Credit Card Fraud

• 12-02-2017 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone else has been affected? I got a call last Thursday evening from Tesco in Glasgow to query some transactions that had been made with my card that matched fraudulent activity. The lady read them out, and sure enough, they weren't from me. Numerous purchases made to online retailers in the US with one of them for €500+....

They were very nice about it, asked me to destroy the card and they'll send a new one out. I'm just wondering if this is tied to the case last November when 7 million UK Customers had their accounts hacked and a huge amount of fraudulent transactions were made.

What's difficult for us in Ireland is that we've no online access to our accounts here so we can't see what's been charged unless we call up or we wait for our statements.

Just beware and maybe check your balances with them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its in no way locked to tesco.

I've had my card number taken a couple of times over the years. Last time I believe from a takeaway as hadn't used anywhere else for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yep someone could have easily hacked a database that wasnt properly locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Its in no way locked to tesco.

I've had my card number taken a couple of times over the years. Last time I believe from a takeaway as hadn't used anywhere else for a while.

Oh I know fraud isn't restricted to Tesco. It's happened numerous times to me on other cards down through the years. It's just one of those things we have to live with in our connected world today. The banks seem to act quickly though in fairness to them and are quick to contact you for anything suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I believe the fraud issue was more to do with payments made from Tesco Bank current accounts, so it's unlikely that your CC was victim to their most recent issues.

Most likely it was one of the "could happen anywhere" credit card frauds (cloning, malware etc)

Advertisement